1001 Not Too Silly Question

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

reartyre

Known Member
Not Too Silly Question Number 1.

How to detect the condition of your car suspension such as absorber, bushes in a technical way then followed by detecting by "feeling it"

thanks.

p/s: for those who thinks this is too silli ... please be patience coz there will be heaps more silly and sillier question coming up ... hehehe ... huhuhu ... muahahahahaha

Absorber & Bushings know-how

We don't flame that many people do we?!?

Good Q - normally when your absorbers are really shagged you can tell by excessive bouncing (assuming you aren't using kickass track suspension causing premature kidney failure!). You can test by bouncing the front & rear separately by hand and making sure the car returns to stable condition (stops bouncing) in less than 3 up/down movements...if more than this then perhaps shock (absorbers) are foobah.

The other more technical way is to take 'em out and drop them off at a shock builder - they put them in their dynometer and test 'em.

Bushings - when you hear a 'knock - knock' sound in the rear during slow cornering, over bumps or on/off throttle this usually means the metal (or pillow) bushings in the rear are worn out - you can change out the entire upper or lower arm (which contains the worn bushings) with chop shop unit.

To identify the bad bushings take out the arm and put your screwdriver or similar into the bushing and try and twist it. If it moves freely it is 'foobah' If it moves a little but is stiff / resists movement then it is very good - doesn't need replacement and u should move onto the next suspect bushing(s) in the other arms. There are a total of 6 metal pillow bushings in the rear - the rest are rubber components.

There is also a chance that the mountings (2 of them) for the rear differential may also be cracked - these have a metal sleeve mounted in solid rubber. This rubber has a tendency to crack also causing a knock-knock sound but slightly different in its pitch. This condition is affects smooth changes of gears. Your car may also feel a bit loose in the rear or not putting all power efficiently to the rear tyres?

When u fix these sounds you will feel much happier that your RX doesn't sound like an old worn out car - it is very satisfying to rectify these noises and is a complete transformation PLUS your handling will be improved.

Always ensure after replacing the arms c/w bushings to get a proper wheel alignment done for the front & REAR as all camber & toe settings will be out.

Another one

Not Too Silly Question 2:

Dear everyone,

When having a turbo charged car, what are the primary gauges/instruments that need to be install and what are its function or ad/disadvantages .... and other blink blink items

some that i am aware of are like:

1. Boost meter (off course :) how stupid can one be ay!)
2. Oil temp meter
3. Water temp meter
4. Exhaust temp meter
5. Vacuum temp meter
6. Volt stabilizer meter
7. Speedo meter ( haha)
8. A few meters (hehehehe)
9. what else

p/s: 13btt ... http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/boost_problems.html is this link related to my turbine problem

thanks a lot

yeah

jasonlel said:
Hmmmm what about having knocking sound at rear (right side) ONLY during braking?

i've beeen having the same problem..exacly as u said but at rear left........

Check your car jack. Secure by warpping in some cloth and sound should go away.

phat7 said:
Check your car jack. Secure by warpping in some cloth and sound should go away.

The real culprit is actually the rear lower arm. Change it and viola.... the sound is gone.

Upon inspection, notice 2 bushes are crack.....

need to why my car is always chocking when in gear ... usually on 2nd and 3rd ... is it because the gear ratio or the pipes

thanks

reartyre said:
need to why my car is always chocking when in gear ... usually on 2nd and 3rd ... is it because the gear ratio or the pipes

thanks

hoi... what happened to you last meeting?

reartyre said:

thanks

Could be the spark plugzzzzz.... get it change....

reartyre said:

thanks

oi.......... i PM u..............

reartyre said:

thanks

Just got my plugs change... and viola.... not more jerky rides at low rpm......

reartyre said:
Not Too Silly Question 2:

some that i am aware of are like:

1. Boost meter (off course :) how stupid can one be ay!)
2. Oil temp meter
3. Water temp meter
4. Exhaust temp meter
5. Vacuum temp meter
6. Volt stabilizer meter
7. Speedo meter ( haha)
8. A few meters (hehehehe)
9. what else

Most aftermarket boost gauges will have vacuum reading too.
You should highly consider an Air/Fuel ratio meter, as it can inform you if you start to run lean/rich. Rich not so bad, only means you lose petrol faster :(
But if lean.... say good bye to your apex seals :(
Petrol also acts as a heat transfer medium, helps to cool the rotor housings and rotor and seals, and for turbocharged applications, running lean is a nono.

There's also oil pressure, knock sensor (good to have to be on the safe side :).

Good aftermarket boost-water temp-a/f-knock sensors are recommended for turbo rotaries. Why not chuck in a oil press/temp gauge while ur at it? :biggrin:

every time when i floor the pedal to reach the desire speed ... hehehe .. smoke start coming out ... like there is someone is on a cige brake in my exhaust ....

Are u still experiencing jerky feeling when in gears?

If still, there are few things to check,

1. Spark plug
2. Overall voltage, desire voltage is 12 >=
3. Check fuel pump voltage, 12v >=
4. Check fuel pressure, I think stock pressure is 31/32 psi
5. Anyone care to add??

reartyre said:

thanks

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom