Old School Cars Discussion

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
No wonder RM12k. I think you can buy a bowl of noodles for under RM1 too back then. Those are the Datsun days. I heard Datsun are cheap too back then. :biggrin:
i forgot the actual price....

but my dad bought datsun 160j sss twin carb model for about 8k or something like that :hmmmm:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
same as honda ex5, engine casing got written made in japan. Early batch still fetch a good price for old 26yrs kapcai.
got one video review by westerner, honda cub. where he drop the bike from 5th floor. Still can start. lol...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeKrqJJqm0
out off topic, just have a good awwwww
Where are they made in now? Thailand?

Car prices seem reasonable then until P1 appeared **hint-hint**
Well, we sort of got used to the current price already... Anyway, car prices in South East Asia is never cheap to begin with from what I know. I mean, not as cheap as those price found in America.

i forgot the actual price....

but my dad bought datsun 160j sss twin carb model for about 8k or something like that :hmmmm:
8k for new car? My mechanic told me he once owned a 160j twin carb. Says that is a really nice car to drive with good power.

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK
Lets talk about insurance for collectible 30+ year old car, like AE86. As you all know, most probably can only get 3rd party insurance. Now there is one for sale right here on zth for 86K. Problem is how do i protect my investment ? I am not afraid of accidents, but more of theft. Buy car for 86K, but cannot cover for theft. Once it gets stolen, all your money gone. As you know cars like ae86 , thieves just tow away. Already have few cases like this. Is there a fire and theft only insurance for old cars in malaysia ?

with 86k, get a JZX100/110 better & still got extra $$$. Good looking, practical & fun.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Where are they made in now? Thailand?

Well, we sort of got used to the current price already... Anyway, car prices in South East Asia is never cheap to begin with from what I know. I mean, not as cheap as those price found in America.

8k for new car? My mechanic told me he once owned a 160j twin carb. Says that is a really nice car to drive with good power.
Twin carb setup.......surely sounded good. Powderful too. Your mechanic must have enjoyed his ride, esp. prices of fuel during those old days was dirt cheap.....Nowadays, petrol prices like stock market. Stepping on the accelerator pedal must think again....becoz of $$$$....:rolleyes:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
with 86k, get a JZX100/110 better & still got extra $$$. Good looking, practical & fun.
Those are like one of the best large size RWD performance sedan cars that you can get from Japan. Powerful 1JZ-GTE engine, able to use large and wide wheels, comfortable, spacious...

Twin carb setup.......surely sounded good. Powderful too. Your mechanic must have enjoyed his ride, esp. prices of fuel during those old days was dirt cheap.....Nowadays, petrol prices like stock market. Stepping on the accelerator pedal must think again....becoz of $$$$....:rolleyes:
How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Those are like one of the best large size RWD performance sedan cars that you can get from Japan. Powerful 1JZ-GTE engine, able to use large and wide wheels, comfortable, spacious...

How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:
yeah, but i want a 2 door OS car, not a 4 door. Its very true that the old saga is cheap to keep going. No fancy electronics and cheap spares. Most small issues can be done by the owner.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
yeah, but i want a 2 door OS car, not a 4 door. Its very true that the old saga is cheap to keep going. No fancy electronics and cheap spares. Most small issues can be done by the owner.
Do you think other old school cars are cheap to maintain? Like KE20, KE30, KE70, Datsun B310, B210, B110?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
well, apart from cheaper maintenance, these cars are also easy to repair as the mechanicals and electrical are straight forward.

These cars are good for learners if they want to venture into auto world. This was mentioned by some sifus that I knew sometime ago.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Below is the link to the fuel prices over theyears in Malesia. Of course, old skool last time used RON92, not even RON95. Check out the prices...

http://blog.galvintan.com/malaysian-fuel-price-history/

If you could find the prices during 1980s lagi best........Lagi murah for sure....
Nowadays everything BarangNaik

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Below is the link to the fuel prices over theyears in Malesia. Of course, old skool last time used RON92, not even RON95. Check out the prices...

http://blog.galvintan.com/malaysian-fuel-price-history/

If you could find the prices during 1980s lagi best........Lagi murah for sure....
Nowadays everything BarangNaik[/QUOTE]

actually nobody use 92 back then...all go for 97 straight....usually 92 used mainly on genset pasar malam or any small engined machine.... not on vehicle....

but sometimes just for fun i tried using 92 on my kapcai...:biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
well, apart from cheaper maintenance, these cars are also easy to repair as the mechanicals and electrical are straight forward.

These cars are good for learners if they want to venture into auto world. This was mentioned by some sifus that I knew sometime ago.
i have a slightly diferent opinion on this matter now.....
It might have been true some time back..... but to be honest alot of what you learn on these older cars are to a certain extent, getting irrelevant. Not saying its of no use ofc!! its a step in the same direction for sure. It's a small(er) step into owning a more 'modern' car but a big leap forward if you are into rebuilding and maintaining classics. The basics are still the same but the attention when it comes to maintaining these classic/older gen cars and the current cars are quite diferent.

then again, end of the day, it's still a step in the right direction, just depends on where your passion lies. :proud:

Do you think other old school cars are cheap to maintain? Like KE20, KE30, KE70, Datsun B310, B210, B110?
hmmm cheap compared to what exactly? got to have something to compare against haha

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK

Actually cheap to maintain but not cheap at all to restore to obtain the wow factor :rofl:

Need to find fabrication expert for interior already costly, not to mention the engine bay/fender/boot detailer. But to achieve the ''70s/80s inspectors car'' level, that's easy hahaha...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

I agree about that. It is the simplicity and straightforwardness of these cars that draws me to it. Mechanical and you really can learn more about the core basics of a car from these cars. Just that, spare parts might be hard to get now? Especially for body part? Engine parts shouldn't be much of a problem...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I agree about that. It is the simplicity and straightforwardness of these cars that draws me to it. Mechanical and you really can learn more about the core basics of a car from these cars. Just that, spare parts might be hard to get now? Especially for body part? Engine parts shouldn't be much of a problem...
Wear and tear engine parts still available. But don't expect performance stuff.....
Used parts are available, and relatively easy to source, if you got gangs....Not too expensive.

Japanese cars are like that. Maybe, in next 30 years, Vios would be following KE70 footstep.....finding barang-barang spare parts is always question to ppl...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Insane at RM1.10 per litre during the days before 1990. If I went back in time and got a car, I'll just keep WOT here and there. :rofl:

actually nobody use 92 back then...all go for 97 straight....usually 92 used mainly on genset pasar malam or any small engined machine.... not on vehicle....

but sometimes just for fun i tried using 92 on my kapcai...:biggrin:
kapcai if use different quality fuel, got difference? :confused:

i have a slightly diferent opinion on this matter now.....
It might have been true some time back..... but to be honest alot of what you learn on these older cars are to a certain extent, getting irrelevant. Not saying its of no use ofc!! its a step in the same direction for sure. It's a small(er) step into owning a more 'modern' car but a big leap forward if you are into rebuilding and maintaining classics. The basics are still the same but the attention when it comes to maintaining these classic/older gen cars and the current cars are quite diferent.

then again, end of the day, it's still a step in the right direction, just depends on where your passion lies. :proud:

hmmm cheap compared to what exactly? got to have something to compare against haha
Certain things like OHV valvetrain, distributor ignition system, carburetors are probably irrelevant in cars today. Hmm, maybe you should put it this way. Like learning maths during primary school level VS uni level. Is about learning the basics. :biggrin:

Actually cheap to maintain but not cheap at all to restore to obtain the wow factor :rofl:

Need to find fabrication expert for interior already costly, not to mention the engine bay/fender/boot detailer. But to achieve the ''70s/80s inspectors car'' level, that's easy hahaha...
Well, if one is maintaining the car, isn't it sort of like restoring? I mean, if you want to maintain every part in good and working order, that is almost like restoring? Or you mean maintaining as in as long as the car's mechanical bits is running and functional?

Wear and tear engine parts still available. But don't expect performance stuff.....
Used parts are available, and relatively easy to source, if you got gangs....Not too expensive.

Japanese cars are like that. Maybe, in next 30 years, Vios would be following KE70 footstep.....finding barang-barang spare parts is always question to ppl...
Performance stuff for old school, I can only think of getting carb like Weber and do a full piping on exhaust system... Overhaul the engine... Cam, valves, engine internals remain stock is probably enough.

Let's see if I can try to keep my Wira with all stock exterior parts for another 30 years or not... See what will the reception be for a stock Wira.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifussss

recently i just removed my whole engine and got it rebuilt.

after it was complete....when i drove off i noticed my lights was dim and air con blower is low on idle and when accelerate/rev the blower speed goes back to normal.

we removed the negative cable on the battery, with the air con on, double signal on, headlamps on the car died.

so we replaced the alternator, and again the same thing happened. then after that, the car battery died, car couldn't start. so we...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience