Old School Cars Discussion

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Below is the link to the fuel prices over theyears in Malesia. Of course, old skool last time used RON92, not even RON95. Check out the prices...

http://blog.galvintan.com/malaysian-fuel-price-history/

If you could find the prices during 1980s lagi best........Lagi murah for sure....
Nowadays everything BarangNaik

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:
Below is the link to the fuel prices over theyears in Malesia. Of course, old skool last time used RON92, not even RON95. Check out the prices...

http://blog.galvintan.com/malaysian-fuel-price-history/

If you could find the prices during 1980s lagi best........Lagi murah for sure....
Nowadays everything BarangNaik[/QUOTE]

actually nobody use 92 back then...all go for 97 straight....usually 92 used mainly on genset pasar malam or any small engined machine.... not on vehicle....

but sometimes just for fun i tried using 92 on my kapcai...:biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
well, apart from cheaper maintenance, these cars are also easy to repair as the mechanicals and electrical are straight forward.

These cars are good for learners if they want to venture into auto world. This was mentioned by some sifus that I knew sometime ago.
i have a slightly diferent opinion on this matter now.....
It might have been true some time back..... but to be honest alot of what you learn on these older cars are to a certain extent, getting irrelevant. Not saying its of no use ofc!! its a step in the same direction for sure. It's a small(er) step into owning a more 'modern' car but a big leap forward if you are into rebuilding and maintaining classics. The basics are still the same but the attention when it comes to maintaining these classic/older gen cars and the current cars are quite diferent.

then again, end of the day, it's still a step in the right direction, just depends on where your passion lies. :proud:

Do you think other old school cars are cheap to maintain? Like KE20, KE30, KE70, Datsun B310, B210, B110?
hmmm cheap compared to what exactly? got to have something to compare against haha

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK
Do you think other old school cars are cheap to maintain? Like KE20, KE30, KE70, Datsun B310, B210, B110?

Actually cheap to maintain but not cheap at all to restore to obtain the wow factor :rofl:

Need to find fabrication expert for interior already costly, not to mention the engine bay/fender/boot detailer. But to achieve the ''70s/80s inspectors car'' level, that's easy hahaha...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
well, apart from cheaper maintenance, these cars are also easy to repair as the mechanicals and electrical are straight forward.

These cars are good for learners if they want to venture into auto world. This was mentioned by some sifus that I knew sometime ago.
I agree about that. It is the simplicity and straightforwardness of these cars that draws me to it. Mechanical and you really can learn more about the core basics of a car from these cars. Just that, spare parts might be hard to get now? Especially for body part? Engine parts shouldn't be much of a problem...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I agree about that. It is the simplicity and straightforwardness of these cars that draws me to it. Mechanical and you really can learn more about the core basics of a car from these cars. Just that, spare parts might be hard to get now? Especially for body part? Engine parts shouldn't be much of a problem...
Wear and tear engine parts still available. But don't expect performance stuff.....
Used parts are available, and relatively easy to source, if you got gangs....Not too expensive.

Japanese cars are like that. Maybe, in next 30 years, Vios would be following KE70 footstep.....finding barang-barang spare parts is always question to ppl...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
How cheap are they last time? Well, currently he is driving Saga 1.5 8 Valve Magma. I asked him, why this, he said Proton Saga cheaper to maintain and he is old already. :biggrin:
Insane at RM1.10 per litre during the days before 1990. If I went back in time and got a car, I'll just keep WOT here and there. :rofl:

actually nobody use 92 back then...all go for 97 straight....usually 92 used mainly on genset pasar malam or any small engined machine.... not on vehicle....

but sometimes just for fun i tried using 92 on my kapcai...:biggrin:
kapcai if use different quality fuel, got difference? :confused:

i have a slightly diferent opinion on this matter now.....
It might have been true some time back..... but to be honest alot of what you learn on these older cars are to a certain extent, getting irrelevant. Not saying its of no use ofc!! its a step in the same direction for sure. It's a small(er) step into owning a more 'modern' car but a big leap forward if you are into rebuilding and maintaining classics. The basics are still the same but the attention when it comes to maintaining these classic/older gen cars and the current cars are quite diferent.

then again, end of the day, it's still a step in the right direction, just depends on where your passion lies. :proud:

hmmm cheap compared to what exactly? got to have something to compare against haha
Certain things like OHV valvetrain, distributor ignition system, carburetors are probably irrelevant in cars today. Hmm, maybe you should put it this way. Like learning maths during primary school level VS uni level. Is about learning the basics. :biggrin:

Actually cheap to maintain but not cheap at all to restore to obtain the wow factor :rofl:

Need to find fabrication expert for interior already costly, not to mention the engine bay/fender/boot detailer. But to achieve the ''70s/80s inspectors car'' level, that's easy hahaha...
Well, if one is maintaining the car, isn't it sort of like restoring? I mean, if you want to maintain every part in good and working order, that is almost like restoring? Or you mean maintaining as in as long as the car's mechanical bits is running and functional?

Wear and tear engine parts still available. But don't expect performance stuff.....
Used parts are available, and relatively easy to source, if you got gangs....Not too expensive.

Japanese cars are like that. Maybe, in next 30 years, Vios would be following KE70 footstep.....finding barang-barang spare parts is always question to ppl...
Performance stuff for old school, I can only think of getting carb like Weber and do a full piping on exhaust system... Overhaul the engine... Cam, valves, engine internals remain stock is probably enough.

Let's see if I can try to keep my Wira with all stock exterior parts for another 30 years or not... See what will the reception be for a stock Wira.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
No doubt there are huge different with prices of car-related items compared yester-years and today. standard tayar cost about 150ish long time ago and now?.......Just google some old car forum say from 2005, and compared the tyre prices vs today's.

Speaking of gaji, there are general consensus that malaysian gaji (say, for fresh graduates) more or less stagnant, or increase little....but barang barang today cost so much.....Prices shot up through the ceiling, somes overnight.....Kesian the new generation.

No worries......the power of credit card is here to save the day!! :biggrin:
Banks always love creating the perception of ""Don't think. Just buy it. Think about the enjoyment. Pay later"
hahahahah

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Certain things like OHV valvetrain, distributor ignition system, carburetors are probably irrelevant in cars today. Hmm, maybe you should put it this way. Like learning maths during primary school level VS uni level. Is about learning the basics. :biggrin:
something like that.... nowadays.. everything is electronics... mau tune also need to remap...

Well, if one is maintaining the car, isn't it sort of like restoring? I mean, if you want to maintain every part in good and working order, that is almost like restoring? Or you mean maintaining as in as long as the car's mechanical bits is running and functional?
maintaining is nothing like restoring... way different yo.....

Performance stuff for old school, I can only think of getting carb like Weber and do a full piping on exhaust system... Overhaul the engine... Cam, valves, engine internals remain stock is probably enough.

Let's see if I can try to keep my Wira with all stock exterior parts for another 30 years or not... See what will the reception be for a stock Wira.
all stock exterior parts.... internals apa jadi??

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
No doubt there are huge different with prices of car-related items compared yester-years and today. standard tayar cost about 150ish long time ago and now?.......Just google some old car forum say from 2005, and compared the tyre prices vs today's.

Speaking of gaji, there are general consensus that malaysian gaji (say, for fresh graduates) more or less stagnant, or increase little....but barang barang today cost so much.....Prices shot up through the ceiling, somes overnight.....Kesian the new generation.

Banks always love creating the perception of ""Don't think. Just buy it. Think about the enjoyment. Pay later"
hahahahah
Powerful plastic card ehh?? Hehehe....
Enjoy first, cry later.
I've been through that...now family first.
Bank hate me...wahahaha

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yah! but those time you don't get to earn RM2k, probably RM600....hahhahhahah
LOL, then that will be worse than now. Petrol 2 times cheaper than now but salary is almost 2.5 times lower... :banghead:

hahahahah
150ish tyre still got for 13 and 14 inch size. :biggrin:

Fresh grad salary, I think at KL is also around 2.5k to 2.7k. Ipoh around 2k to 2.2k. If so, I rather stay in Ipoh, since I can save up on room rental, food price, parking price, transportation cost (If I'm at KL, probably need go back Ipoh once in a while). The slight extra earned at KL won't make much difference after deducting other costs... I did make a rough estimate of the costs I needed if I stay at Ipoh, it din't come out so badly.

something like that.... nowadays.. everything is electronics... mau tune also need to remap...

maintaining is nothing like restoring... way different yo.....

all stock exterior parts.... internals apa jadi??
Interior also stock. But was actually quite tempted to do some mods on engine and mechanical parts... Not high performance stuff, but probably things that is at a higher quality than stock parts.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm on stock absorbers with Eibach springs and the gap is 2 finger front/rear. The problem is going into basement carparks (as usual). The question is, can I add a damper or how can I make it 1 more finger higher? Another 10mm or so would be just nice to save my skirtings and bodykits :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience