My 4G93 SERIOUS Tappet Sound, Hydraulic lifter changed . Same Result

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If the noise has become too rough then you need to change the HLA. Yes the bigger hole ones should help last longer as it's less sensitive to dirt clogging. But the main thing is actually to maintain cleanliness of engine and use the right viscosity oil. From the mid 90s to 2007, I had owned Mitsu cars starting with 4g67, 4g63, and 4g93, and only once did I really need to change the HLA which was on my first ownership with the 4g67. After that I never had to change the HLA again but I do extensive flushing once every 2 oil change (I've posted this before in another thread reply), plus sometimes I use the Wynn's hydraulic oil treatment as top up at the last 1-2k km before oil change. For oil, I usually use 5w40 FS or sometimes 10w50 FS or 10w40 semi, mostly Total oil. This keeps my engine clean and therefore HLA also pretty silent, all until I sold them all.

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
If the noise has become too rough then you need to change the HLA. Yes the bigger hole ones should help last longer as it's less sensitive to dirt clogging. But the main thing is actually to maintain cleanliness of engine and use the right viscosity oil. From the mid 90s to 2007, I had owned Mitsu cars starting with 4g67, 4g63, and 4g93, and only once did I really need to change the HLA which was on my first ownership with the 4g67. After that I never had to change the HLA again but I do extensive flushing once every 2 oil change (I've posted this before in another thread reply), plus sometimes I use the Wynn's hydraulic oil treatment as top up at the last 1-2k km before oil change. For oil, I usually use 5w40 FS or sometimes 10w50 FS or 10w40 semi, mostly Total oil. This keeps my engine clean and therefore HLA also pretty silent, all until I sold them all.
wow that's a great extensive Mitsu collection you had over the years! alright i'll be sure to keep it in mind - HLA with bigger holes if the noise becomes an irritation. btw you mean top up with hydraulic oil treatment instead of engine oil 1-2k km before oil change? great to know im on 5W40 Castrol FS :rofl:

with the oil treatment , extensive flushing to the right engine oil, sounds like Mitsu engines need delicate maintenance but totally acceptable! thanks! :adore:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
wow that's a great extensive Mitsu collection you had over the years! alright i'll be sure to keep it in mind - HLA with bigger holes if the noise becomes an irritation. btw you mean top up with hydraulic oil treatment instead of engine oil 1-2k km before oil change? great to know im on 5W40 Castrol FS :rofl:

with the oil treatment , extensive flushing to the right engine oil, sounds like Mitsu engines need delicate maintenance but totally acceptable! thanks! :adore:
Well that Wynn's Hydraulic treatment was just about 250-300ml bottle (forgot already) so it's not meant to substitute for top up of engine oil in the first place. I just added it to help clean up the last 1k km before oil change. It also helped further silence the HLA just a bit. Not sure if that oil treatment is still available also btw. If not, just do more frequent/shorter oil change interval with some extensive flushing once every 2 oil change.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe just need thicker viscosity.....
For those still using HLA with small holes, it seems better to use thinner oils, maybe 5w30 or 5w40 max. The Wynn's Hydraulic treatment actually looked like a very thin oil. Thicker oils may have more difficulties flowing fast thru those small holes. My 4g67 HLA got so noisy and got replaced after less than 1 year of my ownership and I was using either 20w50 or 15w50 oils that time.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
For those still using HLA with small holes, it seems better to use thinner oils, maybe 5w30 or 5w40 max. The Wynn's Hydraulic treatment actually looked like a very thin oil. Thicker oils may have more difficulties flowing fast thru those small holes. My 4g67 HLA got so noisy and got replaced after less than 1 year of my ownership and I was using either 20w50 or 15w50 oils that time.
if that will work.... i might try get xw30 next time....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I mentioned before and have tried from 10w-40, 5w-40, 5w-50, 10w-60 then one time like you mention 5w-30. The 5w-30 morning start is nice, but after a minute warm up, becomes noisy like hell. Use for a week then drain out, cannot stand it anymore.....hhahhaha
Now back to 5w-40, best was still the 10w-40 diesel engine oil, very quiet. I still have will try it again......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I mentioned before and have tried from 10w-40, 5w-40, 5w-50, 10w-60 then one time like you mention 5w-30. The 5w-30 morning start is nice, but after a minute warm up, becomes noisy like hell. Use for a week then drain out, cannot stand it anymore.....hhahhaha
Now back to 5w-40, best was still the 10w-40 diesel engine oil, very quiet. I still have will try it again......lol
Total 5w40 FS and 10w40 semi were the most often and the last oils I used for my Mitsu cars but never tried the diesel specific oil.
Your HLA are still the small holes or already the bigger holes? If still original should still be the small holes.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Cannot use diesel specific oil. Those that have S and C rating usable in both petrol and diesel engine....:driver:

Rahman77R

Known Member
Oct 16, 2011
Petaling Jaya
i see, just that i read that the stock tappets have a design flaw so am wondering if the aftermarket ones will silent the noise. yep my engine is pretty much stock as of now
Didn't know the factory tappets actually have a design flaw. All this while I thought of the tappet noise to be Mitsubishi's signature. Got kind of used to it after using 4G93 for a few years before converting to 4G93T. Both have the same tappet sound.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Didn't know the factory tappets actually have a design flaw. All this while I thought of the tappet noise to be Mitsubishi's signature. Got kind of used to it after using 4G93 for a few years before converting to 4G93T. Both have the same tappet sound.
Sound always there? Mine comes and goes, sometimes have, sometimes no sound......lol:biggrin:

Rahman77R

Known Member
Oct 16, 2011
Petaling Jaya
Sound always there? Mine comes and goes, sometimes have, sometimes no sound......lol:biggrin:
Last time my mechanic will always ask me the same question every time when I send my car for service. "Do you want to change the tappet?". Guess he was trying to convince me not to sell my Satria at that time.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The country’s first car maker has given its first MPV, the Proton Exora, a minor facelift that coincides with the upcoming Hari Raya festivities. This year is also Proton’s 25 year anniversary and they jointly kicked off the ‘Drive for Celebration’ campaign with lots of prizes to be won...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience