You want it... you get it... epic leather cleaning.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi All,

Now I return with another journey of interior cleaning and a bit of cataract removal.

Before I start, let's just say I found a video of how NOT to clean your interiors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_FtEmkPIMk

So.... if it is not cleaned by using a pressure washer..... how should it be cleaned??? More of that coming right up.

So,.... car was delivered to my place in the evening

A little look on the right side headlight and it looks all dandy and nice.

A little look on the left side headlight...... not so dandy..... we will return to this later.

Sneak preview of the interior which I managed to snap at night before I started working on them the next morning. Looking pretty decent..... I hope.

Seats seems "a bit" messed up

Armrest looks like it has seen its fair share of.... oily arms.

Driver side underseat gets kicked a lot.

Amount of rubbish found inside the car......

Some kuaci seeds found in the gaps....... maybe the owner wants to plant sunflower in the car?

After being touched and molested by hundreds of passengers... it is obvious the door handle would look a little like this.....

So.... next morning, woke up at 6am to start my work..... first victim... da handrest

Followed by the seats..... will have a step by step guide below...

See the side of the driver seat before

Now see it at 50/50...... can you tell which part was cleaned?

Now the rear seats looks kinda OK .......

But if you pull off the seat belts.........clearly the passengers do not use the rear seat belts at all.

If not used for an extended period of time and get squashed by people.... the belt buckle is sure to leave these kind of stains.....

So now.... tutorial time.... see the seat.... looks pretty decent? Is it cleaned?

Now, tape off half, OPC 1:5 (normally for leather cleaning I would use OPC 1:8 instead but this job requires tougher, stronger and more power). Agitate with shoe brush....

Now.... wipe it off.....

Still wiping it off.........

TADAAA.........which side do you want your butt to rest on now.

Can you see the vast difference.... truly a good analogy of saying.... "The grass is greener on the other side" but in this case...... The leather is brighter on the other side.

So from the rear seat.... how much dirt did we lift off?

See my hands.... i am gonna do magic

TADAAAA......... my hands disappeared!!!!!

TADAAAA again.... like Houdini..... my hand reappears.... with the red micro fiber....

So...... we shall officially condemn this seat.....

Even small gaps should not be spared......where is it that I am mentioning?

Obviously the small little gap here..... yes.... that was my old pink toothbrush....

On harder and less touched surfaces.... the 50/50 is not so obvious...

This part of the boot......

NOOOO, OCD me cannot stand...must clean....

Ok, That's all for the interior cleaning..... now lets move back to the headlights...

Closer look at the left headlight...... some scuff marks....

Besides the common oxidation....a lot of pits from small stones and pebbles....

Some weird water stain marks...

So we prep our patient for cataract removal....

After sanding for awhile with 1000 grit followed by 1500 grit and then finished with 2000 grit.... evenly hazed up

This is the amount of plastic I took off from the headlamps..... meaning to say one can only do headlamp restoration a limited number of times... so do it properly each time if you want your headlamps to last.

Now.... results... after compounding and polishing the living daylights out of it......Compounded with wool pad + hyper compound and finished off with Double sided sponge pad + Osren perfect finish.

The side blinkers were given......... with these results.... try and guess what I did?

A final look at the headlamps before delivery to the owner....

Time Spend: 13hours or so.....
Product used: A lot........
Satisfaction level: Exterior.... not so....Interior.... EPICLY satisfied.

Note:
- Cleaning interior is more labor intensive compared to exterior. A lot of small gaps and hard to reach places.
- When cleaning leather, be sure to start with mildest cleaner possible. Last thing you want to do is to clean thru the leather.
- Agitate with a soft brush, hard brush may damage the leather.
- Do not allow any cleaner to dry on the leather as it will leave a stain, especially those stronger cleaners.
- All leather was protected with a coat of Optimum Leather Protector. I do have the Mequirs Gold Class Leather Protector but did not use it as I find it a bit too oily to my liking.
- The left headlamp was restored fully on the outside however the inside was hazed up by dirt and all which cannot be cleaned unless the headlamp is taken apart.
- The right headlamp was changed new as the original was damaged previously from..... some sorta accident that the owner told me and I forgot.

If you have any comments, please let me know (be it good, bad or gibberish)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
What is OPC,a type of cleaner?
Where to buy?

Seems lkke its very strong as just by wiping alone its able to remove stain.
is it safe to use on leather with those tiny holes?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not change, now he ask people do, last time he do himself.......hhahahhahahha:biggrin:
My do myself failed already. Now must ask others to do for me liao.

Hmm.. I never thought about using OPC on my leather seats. Maybe I'll try it out later.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
What is OPC,a type of cleaner?
Where to buy?

Seems lkke its very strong as just by wiping alone its able to remove stain.
is it safe to use on leather with those tiny holes?
OPC is Optimum Power Clean. It is sorta like a multipurpose cleaner. Normally I use it to clean the car paint and other exterior parts. But I do use it to clean leather as well. Was not just wiping, after spraying it on top of the seat and let is soak a few seconds, I used a shoe brush to agitate the leather just to make sure it cleans deep. When wipe off with a microfiber.

Any multi purpose cleaner should be able to do the same... the key to it is the dilution of the cleaner. Too strong and you risk cleaning the color off the leather. Too mild and you basically waste effort.

Hmm.. I never thought about using OPC on my leather seats. Maybe I'll try it out later.
I have used OPC on leather plenty of time, namely a scirocco and my own inspira, a satria neo and a merc SLK300. So far.... what I can tell is that the dilution of the cleaner and way of agitation is important. Not fully on the product even if it does play a keyrole. Also, if you leave it to dry on the leather, you will get plenty of ugly stains.

Trial and error will surely teach a thing or two on this. If still cannot, you can always holla me for a quotation... ehem ehem, not really encourage cause i very fussy also.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

It was just like bro. cv using his stronger stuff, remember. It was cleaner. Like bro. DA mentioned I rather not use too strong a chemical to clean the leather. I have stronger stuff but not sure what will happen to your leather in the long run....:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
OPC is Optimum Power Clean. It is sorta like a multipurpose cleaner. Normally I use it to clean the car paint and other exterior parts. But I do use it to clean leather as well. Was not just wiping, after spraying it on top of the seat and let is soak a few seconds, I used a shoe brush to agitate the leather just to make sure it cleans deep. When wipe off with a microfiber.
Dude - whats your concentration for the OPC if you don't mind sharing?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dude - whats your concentration for the OPC if you don't mind sharing?
His post:-
Now, tape off half, OPC 1:5 (normally for leather cleaning I would use OPC 1:8 instead but this job requires tougher, stronger and more power). Agitate with shoe brush....

No read again.......faster cabut:burnout:......hhahahhahahaha:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my l2 brake something wrong, sometime need press the pedal very down to brake the car.

already change new brake pads, brake pump no leaking.

anyone know how to solve its? thx...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience