Why are second hand cars in Malaysia so expensive?

Starkiller

500 RPM
May 19, 2010
Hartamas
Just been wondering while viewing the marketplace, mudah etc. I realized that compared to overseas like UK, Aussie and Japan we place high value on second hand cars, why is that? Top gear stated in an episode they did to find a car less than 5K pounds (loosely translated to 25K ringgit) and I was amazed at the cars they found. Example and RX-8 with only 25K mileage for RM25,000, you'd never find a deal like that in Malaysia. So yeah, why do we place high value on second-hand cars?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
one answer only to this question. Because our price for new car is so expensive.

stevenseahkl

From Facebook
Sep 26, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hahahahaaha... Now this is a very Malaysian answer... Simple, direct, minus the intellectual bs which will only tax our brain power. Might as well focus it on money making.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
car is expensive but maintenance is not so expensive...in some country, cars are cheap, but maintaining it is expensive...i.e need to buy car park, expensive repair cost & high petrol price...pros and cons...but i do agree, 2nd hand car is expensive here......
mainly becos bank can give high loan....so it keeps the value high.

autocrosser

Known Member
Aug 13, 2006
Why are new cars expensive, he asked? Is that a joke or is that a serious question?
New cars are expensive in Malaysia because of the high duty imposed on the imported parts and cars. If people don't already know that already.

Another reason is probably that there are enough gearheads who are willing to pay the exorbitant asking price of the dealers. My opinion.

Back to the original question. Expensive original price leads to expensive resale value. That's the only reason and only plausible explanation.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nice one autocrosser.

And let's not forget the protectionistic policies to look after our local manufacturers...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yup, and the answer to why is our tax so much more higher than other countries ? is answered by izso...

teo1957

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
C99D-MMC5537 said:
one answer only to this question. Because our price for new car is so expensive.
Expensive original price leads to expensive resale value. That's the only reason and only plausible explanation.
IMHO these are quite the more accurate answers to the question. Consider also:

1. Expensive price of new cars leads to credit purchase.
2. Credit purchase of new cars leads to credit purchase of used cars.
3. Credit purchase of used cars leads to market price set by credit institutions.

Where there are no use of credit, there will be no use for price control by credit institutions. If a KE70 is on sale for RM3,000, no need to go to bank to ask for current market price. Different scene for a Saga BLM on sale for RM25,000: you need to kowtow to banks, bank say one thing you follow. Our market, is effectively controlled by two entities:

1. New car: National Automotive Policy
2. Used car: The money lenders

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Why are new cars expensive, he asked? Is that a joke or is that a serious question?
New cars are expensive in Malaysia because of the high duty imposed on the imported parts and cars. If people don't already know that already.

Another reason is probably that there are enough gearheads who are willing to pay the exorbitant asking price of the dealers. My opinion.

Back to the original question. Expensive original price leads to expensive resale value. That's the only reason and only plausible explanation.
Not entirely accurate on the part of why new cars are expensive.
Even if one is willing to pay the high duty imposed, you are unable to bring a car into Malaysia without the mighty AP.

Like the TS said, used RX-8 is only RM25,000. Even after 100% duty, its only RM50,000. Still selling for RM90k recon. Thats RM40,000 profit for holding an AP, better than being a car manufacturer, lol.

What is AP? A piece of paper that grants you the power to import a car legally to be on the roads of Malaysia. Without this piece of paper any car imported is reduced to track/show car duties only.

Who can get AP? They say its objective is for promoting and providing opportunities for bumiputera entrepreneurs. However not every Bumiputera entrepreneur can waltz in and get one, sadly. You probably have to be somebody or know somebody.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
:congrats: ixeo...could not have said it any better

Last edited:

charadeturbo

Apr 14, 2006
reason why i am still holding to my current car is because Malaysia car is soo Xxxkxxg expensive

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
i really pray for the day, where those taxes are reduced...finally...everybody will have a better chance of owning better condition/quality cars... for me ive only been owning second hand cars...only brand new car i had was my wira...hopefully the tax can be reduced even by half and that stupid AP issue to be fair....maybe the next GE can bring some change...:dontknow:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I wait for the day it's an open market. Then I'll watch Proton die and everyone drives imported cars for the same price.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Upon Collecting his new car, my buddy , has been searching a lot on lne toward A-Z coating avail in the country

some of the dirt seen upon arriving our Hive

door jam
dirt found...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience