Side income for the uni student

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Hey everyone, I came to ask on a really worrying issue.

I am unable to ask help from the other side of my divorced family coz they are a really bigoted bunch, and the current side that i'm staying with isn't faring well.

Therefore, to cope with university life and car installments (somehow forced upon me), I need to earn around RM600 (RM300 for car, RM300 for allowances for all expenses) per month in order to actually be able to pay for both. :goodnight:

University starts in a month, so I will need to have a earning plan ready before it starts. For me, yes, the clock is ticking. :frown:

As for scholarships, the dependence on my current family side on businesses (shareholding) which is a "risky but rewarding" job makes it difficult to apply for hardship scholarships, and my grades are a cent below the minimum limit for most competitive scholarships, not to mention the fact that I'm also a non-bumiputera.

Other than
i. part-time jobs
ii. teaching (which may not work even tho I'm confident in my teaching abilities due to low pay if i work for tuition centers)
iii. affiliate-ship (online)
I do not know how else to earn.

MLM/network marketing is not a viable option here since I am not willing to lose my remaining bunch of friends from the many I used to have in return for the job, although I know it's a very lucrative job if I do it right. :bawling:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Scholarship - ask around. Your aunty uncle and parents friends,etc. some company offer scholarship or loan to students and you might even have immediate job vacancy from the company that provides you scholarship once you graduated. And yes, study hard and smart.

Loan - if your university is a recognized one, then try applying ptptn.

Part time - use your skills. Typing, singing, dancing, techies, car wash, writing articles, selling photographs, etc. part time jobs with skills pay off more than being a promoter or shop assistant. But if possible, do both e.g. Being a promoter or barista at the same time do typing or sell photographs

Online selling - good for small starters even for working people but you need capital. Get a few friends to invest, and plan carefully what to sell. The next thing is finding a supplier.

Multi level marketing - well this thing is tricky. Being a MLM member myself, I can tell you that doing MLM needs a lot of time and hardwork to succeed. Don't get me wrong, MLM is a do-able business but at the same time you will need to travel to meet friends and families, call them, bring them to talks, bring them to stockists, buy catalogues, product samples, the list goes on and on. And all these need $$. Most important thing in doing MLM is your up line. He or she must be an aggressive, visionary, hardworking, and willing to help down line. Work hard and you'll get your good pay. I purchased my desktop and Nokia hand phone during college using $$ earned from MLM. I stopped before I need to concentrate in my studies when I entered University.

Last but not least, save up for the day. Having a non-permanent job means income could stop anytime. But your car installment must get going. I recommend you to get a new cheap and cheerful car with free service and maintenance.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi duck, sincere advise. Go for cheaper car, example kelisa or even kancil. Try to make the budget below 20k.

Since you're student and lack of financial support, why go for 45k car (if i remember correctly from another post of you). Why you make yourself so suffer to pay the car loan?

Study hard and get a first class honor and you can easily get job from good employers (fresh gradudate) with a good pay (around 4k ringgit).

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
internship if your CGPA is strong.....otherwise its the 'good ol' roll up your sleeves and get down to it'.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Scholarship - ask around. Your aunty uncle and parents friends,etc. some company offer scholarship or loan to students and you might even have immediate job vacancy from the company that provides you scholarship once you graduated. And yes, study hard and smart.

Loan - if your university is a recognized one, then try applying ptptn.

Part time - use your skills. Typing, singing, dancing, techies, car wash, writing articles, selling photographs, etc. part time jobs with skills pay off more than being a promoter or shop assistant. But if possible, do both e.g. Being a promoter or barista at the same time do typing or sell photographs

Online selling - good for small starters even for working people but you need capital. Get a few friends to invest, and plan carefully what to sell. The next thing is finding a supplier.

Multi level marketing - well this thing is tricky. Being a MLM member myself, I can tell you that doing MLM needs a lot of time and hardwork to succeed. Don't get me wrong, MLM is a do-able business but at the same time you will need to travel to meet friends and families, call them, bring them to talks, bring them to stockists, buy catalogues, product samples, the list goes on and on. And all these need $$. Most important thing in doing MLM is your up line. He or she must be an aggressive, visionary, hardworking, and willing to help down line. Work hard and you'll get your good pay. I purchased my desktop and Nokia hand phone during college using $$ earned from MLM. I stopped before I need to concentrate in my studies when I entered University.

Last but not least, save up for the day. Having a non-permanent job means income could stop anytime. But your car installment must get going. I recommend you to get a new cheap and cheerful car with free service and maintenance.
scholarship thru connections is off limits since i had zero to little talking with anyone since birth :rolleyes: i'm trying to avoid loans if possible. my parent is willing to pay for tuition fees

Hi duck, sincere advise. Go for cheaper car, example kelisa or even kancil. Try to make the budget below 20k.

Since you're student and lack of financial support, why go for 45k car (if i remember correctly from another post of you). Why you make yourself so suffer to pay the car loan?

Study hard and get a first class honor and you can easily get job from good employers (fresh gradudate) with a good pay (around 4k ringgit).
dear good moderator close my thread, so forgot to update the thread :rolleyes:
anyways, what happened is that i got a Hyundai i10 for RM22k instead of the earlier choices coz of a sudden loss of business deals. and 4 year car loan, downpayment on dad, instalment on me.
how did it happen? his sharp eyes caught it at a car lot while he was driving back home with me in the car. talk about bad timing :s:

internship if your CGPA is strong.....otherwise its the 'good ol' roll up your sleeves and get down to it'.
was thinking of the latter option since my friend got apprenticeship from local mechanic/tuner shop for RM100/day. :rock: internship confirmed to be off limits until second uni year, at least

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dude...you gotta work hard and smart to earn. If you shot down every possible chances without trying, you're gonna end up dangling. There is nothing wrong with taking loans. You can repay when you graduate and have a steady job. Also, asking for help does not mean you are weak. It means you are ready to find trust and ready to pick up opportunities. Of course, do not ever take assistance for granted.

You are lucky you have a car to go to university. I was lucky too to able to use my dad's car. I have many friends who took public transport everyday and asking people to drop them at bus stop lrt and KTM stations or walk in the rain to get a ride.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Dude...you gotta work hard and smart to earn. If you shot down every possible chances without trying, you're gonna end up dangling. There is nothing wrong with taking loans. You can repay when you graduate and have a steady job. Also, asking for help does not mean you are weak. It means you are ready to find trust and ready to pick up opportunities. Of course, do not ever take assistance for granted.

You are lucky you have a car to go to university. I was lucky too to able to use my dad's car. I have many friends who took public transport everyday and asking people to drop them at bus stop lrt and KTM stations or walk in the rain to get a ride.
but the scholarship thru connections is a definite no-no coz i have tried previously and was met with hostility. but i will try for PTPTN. that is always worth a try. :smile:
and btw, i am still using bus to go to university. using car will double the transport expenses since there's TWO tolls. :banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
fast food outlet was the easiest way to get parttime job and u can choose the time schedule...earn atleast rm700/mont and free food while at work..(most didnt allow tapau bring back home)

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Sg.Wang McD was paying me RM1.80 and eat all you can burger but no tapau as ^pomen_GTR^ pointed out.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What are you good at? Piano? Maths? English? Tuition secondary school students. Or primary school students. Have a good rapport with the kids and update their parents on everything. Guarantee you will get a lot of students. All you need to charge is 150 a student for a month, once a week and they have to go your place or all gather at one students house. 5-6 students and you'll be clear. At least you get to challenge your brain and do what you're good at, plus it's flexi-time.

If you work fast food, it's 'easy' money too. RM2 to RM5 per hour these days. But timing isn't as flexible.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
You're going for private university?
Yup. My qualifications are not applicable for public universities anyway.
fast food outlet was the easiest way to get parttime job and u can choose the time schedule...earn atleast rm700/mont and free food while at work..(most didnt allow tapau bring back home)
RM700? How much per hour?
What are you good at? Piano? Maths? English? Tuition secondary school students. Or primary school students. Have a good rapport with the kids and update their parents on everything. Guarantee you will get a lot of students. All you need to charge is 150 a student for a month, once a week and they have to go your place or all gather at one students house. 5-6 students and you'll be clear. At least you get to challenge your brain and do what you're good at, plus it's flexi-time.

If you work fast food, it's 'easy' money too. RM2 to RM5 per hour these days. But timing isn't as flexible.
I did think of that, as said earlier...but transport is going to make it worse. You see, I'm going via bus and car; car to designated bus stop (parking area nearby) and then bus to uni. That means 6.45am and I'm off to uni and will only be back by 7.30+pm

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

RM150 for tuition fees?! That's extremely high compared to Ipoh standards... Ipoh is like RM50 to RM60 per student at tuition centers. Even famous teachers also charge around this rate.

Yup. My qualifications are not applicable for public universities anyway.
Same with me. In private uni as well.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hmm..btw where do you live and where is your university, and what are you studying? You can get cheaper university or college like Tunku Abdul Rahman College/University. But MAKE SURE, I, I, I, I REPEAT, MAKE SURE the course that you are taking is recognized by MQA and relevant bodies. For example, Engineering is governed by Board of Engineers and Institute of Engineers Malaysia.

If your place is far from the Uni, maybe renting a room would be cheaper than travelling. Some Uni provide shuttle bus for free or for a very cheap rate.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hmm..btw where do you live and where is your university, and what are you studying? You can get cheaper university or college like Tunku Abdul Rahman College/University. But MAKE SURE, I, I, I, I REPEAT, MAKE SURE the course that you are taking is recognized by MQA and relevant bodies. For example, Engineering is governed by Board of Engineers and Institute of Engineers Malaysia.

If your place is far from the Uni, maybe renting a room would be cheaper than travelling. Some Uni provide shuttle bus for free or for a very cheap rate.
Lol, UTAR. Rather strict with exam results. Quite a lot of work to do as well.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Focal Point would like to wish all car and car care enthusiasts in this ZTH forums a very good Selamat Hari Raya. Have a happy and great occassion. Thanks for all the support on Tufoil. Cheers!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience