Proton CFE Manual Swap

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I’ve driven the Suprima, test drive. Apart from the fact the tires were pure rubbish, I find the chassis and steering very good.

Tires were squealing all the way and salesman had a straight face. He must have been rather confident with the car.

Being FWD the Suprima did had its inherent understeer. But I don’t think it’s bad, it’s just predictable. Bearing in mind it’s a passenger car not a track car.

I’ve not driven the E36/46. But even with the modern F30 being the benchmark, i would still say the Suprima is good for what it is, stock. Do I believe it can be better than the E36? Possible, but being a RWD platform, some mods and the E36 will shine.

The example he drove with the Bilstein might just be old and tired. Other than the absorbers, the bushings and mounts also affect the handling of the car. Being over 20 years old, I’m not surprised he felt the Suprima was better, but I think the beemer must just be old and tired.

actually if stock to stock i would say suprima and e46/e90 probably have close handling quality level.. (differences are only between different tyre brand/model/grade used and fwd,rwd platform)...plus suprima being lighter....its not hard to tell that suprima is easier to handle compare to bimmer....

when talking some mods...again depend on what done on both car... lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Agreed the Proton's handling is good. For those who have'nt driven any of the newer Protons, you should give them a go. I however still dont agree they will win over the e36 :thefinger:. Think you got to charge really hard into a tight corner to appreciate the 50/50 distribution.
Yup, 50/50 distribution plus RWD will win over suprima. Driven the Suprima and its very tight,only let down is the rubbish OE tyre.

Never driven the E36 but experience W124 with RWD, good steering.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yup, 50/50 distribution plus RWD will win over suprima. Driven the Suprima and its very tight,only let down is the rubbish OE tyre.

I was at the Proton Suprima testing for media organized by Proton and headed by people like Karamjit Singh, Eeyong and a few other famous names. They let us thrash the Suprima and even let us compare it with the Preve (Campro, not CFE) and there was a significant difference in handling. The Suprima is seriously a good handling car.. but personally I find the letdown is the CVT GB and to say it's better than a E46.... I seriously don't think so.

New car vs new car (as in non worn out parts) I do not think the Suprima is better. The E46 is way more agile and nimble even though the steering is as dead as the Suprimas.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

That should be the GT Radial BAX2, right?.....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I was at the Proton Suprima testing for media organized by Proton and headed by people like Karamjit Singh, Eeyong and a few other famous names. They let us thrash the Suprima and even let us compare it with the Preve (Campro, not CFE) and there was a significant difference in handling. The Suprima is seriously a good handling car.. but personally I find the letdown is the CVT GB and to say it's better than a E46.... I seriously don't think so.

New car vs new car (as in non worn out parts) I do not think the Suprima is better. The E46 is way more agile and nimble even though the steering is as dead as the Suprimas.
One more thing, i think i did mention somewhere that the pedal response/throttle mapping for Exora CFE should be swapped with the one on the Suprima. On the Exora, it can be considered savage considering its an MPV. Suprima is very civilised.

maybe i should swap my 1.8 with an E36...

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

CVT GB is rubbish, the engine is also rubbish. E46 straight-six any day.

scoupe

1,000 RPM

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
I know a guy with the 330i E46 manual 5 speed... and my god it's a good car. Smooth, pretty damn good to drive around and there are plenty of parts options for that generation of car.. only thing I found odd was the light steering.
light steering could have also something to do with the alignment set up on the car or suspension set up :)

scoupe

1,000 RPM

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Oh! Achilles 2233 is no better.....lol
i dont know what was proton thinking when they slapped those tires onto the car.. i bought my car used. it was a 1.5yr old car. the tires were all cracked on the sidewall.. threw those out and got some yokohama fleva to go on. world of a difference!!

scoupe

1,000 RPM

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
CVT GB is rubbish, the engine is also rubbish. E46 straight-six any day.
as far as everyday driving is concerned i think its pretty decent. as for the way the cvt drives, drivers need to tune their habits to suit. otherwise gonna end up like most of the punch cvt boxes. i will say one thing though it takes very little to get the car moving,however it does it in a very civilized manner. for everyday driving its alright, but when you want to hit the hilly roads the cvt doesnt give me the confidence i need to be driving hard on those roads (back of my head the gearbox wouldnt last thru the punishing). and on these roads is where you really realize that TURBO badge at the back of the car is just marketing. doesnt have enough torque to pull well. such a shame that this was the engine choice in this chassis.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
as far as everyday driving is concerned i think its pretty decent. as for the way the cvt drives, drivers need to tune their habits to suit. otherwise gonna end up like most of the punch cvt boxes. i will say one thing though it takes very little to get the car moving,however it does it in a very civilized manner. for everyday driving its alright, but when you want to hit the hilly roads the cvt doesnt give me the confidence i need to be driving hard on those roads (back of my head the gearbox wouldnt last thru the punishing). and on these roads is where you really realize that TURBO badge at the back of the car is just marketing. doesnt have enough torque to pull well. such a shame that this was the engine choice in this chassis.
Dont get it wrong, the engine is capable, only the gb is the limiting factor. Drive a manual version like in the exora and ull see the different. The cvt will elongates the gear once it detects the belt slips, so u dont feel the familiar pull when boost kicks in

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i dont know what was proton thinking when they slapped those tires onto the car.. i bought my car used. it was a 1.5yr old car. the tires were all cracked on the sidewall.. threw those out and got some yokohama fleva to go on. world of a difference!!
Some how Indonesian tyres the rubber compound seems to harden faster. I had the GT Radial Champiro HPY, even this tyre harden after 3 years, coming 4, where my German Goodyear Asy2 harden after 4 years coming to 5....

scoupe

1,000 RPM

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Dont get it wrong, the engine is capable, only the gb is the limiting factor. Drive a manual version like in the exora and ull see the different. The cvt will elongates the gear once it detects the belt slips, so u dont feel the familiar pull when boost kicks in
exora pun cvt, only cps version got manual.. if i had the cps manual also i dont mind.. sprintex would be going in..hahaha

Reactions: xtremeleo

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Blardy hell.....Either they have fact to proof the cars they sell really belonged to all teachers.....or they are downright blardy liars.....

CANGGIH MOTOR ENTERPRISE SDN BHD - PRO Niaga Store on Mudah.my

I wonder what is next?? Car owners previously female virgins??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience