Old cars need loving too! Full Detail: Perodua Kelisa

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
The car upon arrival.

Some of the products to be used.

So let's start off by getting the wheel, tires and wheel wells cleaned. Wheels cleaned with ValetPRO Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (diluted 3:1), tires and wheel wells cleaned with Osren Degreaser FX (diluted 2:1). Brushes used ValetPRO Chemical Resistant Soft Brush and ValetPro Long Reach Wheel Brush.

Panel gaps, rubber and plastic trim brushed with Osren Degreaser FX (diluted 2:1).

Then I noticed all the glass had watermark etchings, so I used Osren's Watermark Remover powder and a 3M Microfine sanding sponge. My technique still needs to be improved on this one as it didn't fully remove all the watermarks, but did significantly reduce it and cleaned the glass, preparing it for coating. Firstly, scrubbed with the sponge and powder, rewashed with shampoo and squeegeed dry.

Car is then washed with ValetPRO Wash and Protect shampoo, followed by Osren Tar Remover on lower panels and wheels, lastly paintwork smoothened with Osren Magic Clay Cloth.

With the paint squeaky clean, we now inspect it. Bonnet was in the worst condition, the other panels had the usual swirling, embedded dirt, and water marks. The single stage black painted panels were oxidized and looked grey.

Macro shot of the swirls above.

So I decided to start on the bonnet first. The right side have been repainted and I don't know why it has faded so badly, especially around the area where it 'blends' with the original paint. Let's take a closer look.

Ouch... now let's take an even closer look.

Yikes! That's the area that has been repainted, I assume it is cheap clearcoat and it has 'bubbled' over the years, thus giving it the faded look. The non repainted areas had RIDS, swirls, pitting, watermark etching and embedded dirt, the typical symptoms of neglected paint.

After seeing the bubbling photo, I wanted to give the bonnet a proper cutting. So the process for it was:

(1) Sanding with Mirka Abralon 2000 grit / Speed 2 / Dodo Juice Buff Daddy (Das6 DA)

(2) Sanding with Mirka Abralon 4000 grit / Speed 2 / Dodo Juice Buff Daddy (Das6 DA)

(3) Compound with Osren Velvet Pad and Osren P40 Compound / 1500 rpm / Makita 9227C Rotary

(4) Compound with Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound and Lake Country 4-ply wool pad / 1500 rpm / Makita 9227C Rotary

(5) Polished with Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound and Lake Country White Polishing pad / 1500 rpm / Makita 9227C Rotary

(6) Polished with Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish and Lake Country Black Finishing pad / 900 rpm / Makita 9227C rotary

The rest of the car received the same steps except for the sanding and velvet pad.

Paint transfer on the driver's side door and rear fender were wet sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and polished.

So how do you know if it is paint transfer which is above the surface and not a scratch beneath the paint? If you look closely, you can see the 'scratch/scuff' is on the surface, and as you run your fingers across it, you will feel that it is 'sticking out' from the paint, then you know you have a chance to fix the problem.

Water stains around the chrome area were removed with Osren StainX(acid).

Side windows coated with Wolf's Chemicals Glass Guard while the front and rear glass which had wipers were coated with GTechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass. Wiper cowl trim dressed with Wolf's Chemicals Trim Coat and wheels with Wolf's Chemicals Rim Shield.

I then moved to the interior, was rushing for time at this stage and didn't take much photos. Process was:

(1) ValetPRO Glass Cleaner on all glass.
(2) Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner on vinyl seats and all plastic trim.
(3) Vinyl seats conditioned with ValetPRO Argus Leather and Vinyl Cream.

With all the little bits and pieces done, final step is to dress the tires with ValetPRO Traditional Tire Dressing and paintwork waxed with ValetPRO Banana Wax, a carnauba liquid wax. Enjoy the after photos! Please excuse the slight haziness on the paintwork as the wax was applied at night right after the rain, the very humid air made it slow for the wax to dry and cure.

Thanks for looking! Your feedback is appreciated.

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow. Wish you lots of love, joy and happiness. Happy New Year!!!

P.S. This write-up took longer than I thought...started at 11.30pm, it is now 5.40am... O.O

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sifu! :biggrin:

And that's serious stuff for "just a Kelisa"

What would you recommend to remove water marks on the front windscreen? Was reading up on eohl's post and he looks like he might try wet sanding with the 3M pad. That's kinda extreme for me...

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Sifu! :biggrin:

And that's serious stuff for "just a Kelisa"

What would you recommend to remove water marks on the front windscreen? Was reading up on eohl's post and he looks like he might try wet sanding with the 3M pad. That's kinda extreme for me...
When I logged in to check I had a hunch that you would leave a reply, you early bird you.
:biggrin:

Thanks! For the watermarks, I also follow eohl's way, it's been used for quite some time already, if I'm not mistaken Rainaway were the first ones that started with this 3M sponge + powder method (in Malaysia that is).

Just be sure to take the necessary precaution such as soaking the sponge to let it soften before use.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
When I logged in to check I had a hunch that you would leave a reply, you early bird you.

Thanks! For the watermarks, I also follow eohl's way, it's been used for quite some time already, if I'm not mistaken Rainaway were the first ones that started with this 3M sponge + powder method (in Malaysia that is).

Just be sure to take the necessary precaution such as soaking the sponge to let it soften before use.
Hehe.. working morning shift mahhh. Anyway - aisay.. that means I probably won't be DIY-ing anytime soon. I don't dare to mess up the glass on my front windscreen. I've been told by a friend about some magic juice that might do the trick, will keep you informed.

Btw, a friend of the Jaguar's owner saw came across your blog and saw that you did the Jag and my friends BMW, he was wondering if you're in business still or just a hobbyist. He's keen on acquiring your services.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Now that's what I call A GUIDE....very detail on the details, both the write up and the detailing products used, steps, method, etc...etc. Always enjoy your write up...time after time...every time.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Nice work there bro!

All I need to know is how to remove those watermarks on the windscreen
and rear windscreen. All sorts of lines like those in the photos...tried a Turtle
Glass Cleaner, but failed, even by using clay, still fail to remove it.

As I wipe across with the clay, can see some rainbow colour thingy which is
actually oil that still remain on my windscreen, Rear Windscreen is the worse
condition of all...

So all I have to do is, use the ValetPro glass cleaner and spray it on, and wipe it
with a well soaked sponge?

Thanks! :adore:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I've been told by a friend about some magic juice
Be careful of magic juices... unless you know what is the content, acid, etc. Take precautions, you don't want to open a pandora's box.

Finally after a long hiatus, you are alive!!! Excellent and fantastic write up bro Fishbonez! You are the one we should emulate with all the detail steps, products used and visuals. Most people would only show before and after but not show how it is done. :adore:

BTW, what macro lens and camera are you using? Very very nice close up of the defects in microscopic levels. Very interested to know how you do it + setup.

Did you use a new 3M sanding sponge or a used one? Did you double fold back and rub the grit down? Asking because I saw the abrasiveness of the sponge drops drastically after sanding a window on my Kelisa. Did you proceed on to use the same sponge on the other windows too? Wanting to know its effectiveness.

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Dayum!! Super awesome work done on the bonnet! Nice!
-Erik
Thanks Erik!!!

Thumbs up!!!!!
TQTQ!

Now that's what I call A GUIDE....very detail on the details, both the write up and the detailing products used, steps, method, etc...etc. Always enjoy your write up...time after time...every time.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:
Thanks KrisMas for your continuous encouraging words :D

Nice work there bro!

All I need to know is how to remove those watermarks on the windscreen
and rear windscreen. All sorts of lines like those in the photos...tried a Turtle
Glass Cleaner, but failed, even by using clay, still fail to remove it.

As I wipe across with the clay, can see some rainbow colour thingy which is
actually oil that still remain on my windscreen, Rear Windscreen is the worse
condition of all...

So all I have to do is, use the ValetPro glass cleaner and spray it on, and wipe it
with a well soaked sponge?

Thanks! :adore:
Watermarks can't be removed by using the glass cleaner. You can try the Osren powder and 3M sponge method. Check out bro eohl79's thread, he did an awesome write-up on it:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-detailing-forums/396809-safe-and-effective-waatermark-removal-on-glass.html

Request: How to properly clean the engine bay. Can? *grins* hee.

Very informative write up, much appreciated.
Request completed!
How to Detail your Engine Bay (Basic) | Wet Shine – Malaysia's Premier Auto Detailing Blog, Reviews, Tests, Details, Articles, Events

Be careful of magic juices... unless you know what is the content, acid, etc. Take precautions, you don't want to open a pandora's box.

Finally after a long hiatus, you are alive!!! Excellent and fantastic write up bro Fishbonez! You are the one we should emulate with all the detail steps, products used and visuals. Most people would only show before and after but not show how it is done. :adore:

BTW, what macro lens and camera are you using? Very very nice close up of the defects in microscopic levels. Very interested to know how you do it + setup.

Did you use a new 3M sanding sponge or a used one? Did you double fold back and rub the grit down? Asking because I saw the abrasiveness of the sponge drops drastically after sanding a window on my Kelisa. Did you proceed on to use the same sponge on the other windows too? Wanting to know its effectiveness.
Agree about the magic juices! Thank you thank you, yes I am alive and kicking still, hahaha.

Camera is a Canon 60D and lens was a 50mm f/1.8 lens. To achieve the macro effect, I used this:
Extension tube MeiKe EXT -Smoothly adjusted- for Canon EF
It's placed between the lens and the camera body to achieve a much shorter focusing distance. I was taking those photos at about 1-3cm away from the paint, with the halogen light reflected on it or else it would be too dark.

For the 3M sponge, I just used the same old piece, haha...kiamsiap to cut a new one. Hmmm, now that you mention it, the first window did seem much easier to remove compared to the rest, aiyah could've saved time and switch to a new sanding sponge.

Need more practice with this for sure.

Thx again :biggrin:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
huakenny,

Too lazy or too many load off work?
You just ask you 100 workers to work on the car... "Kaw Tim" lor...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
fish why u wan so serious T_T its epic weiiiiii!!

im drolling and simultaneously disgust over the extreme micro shots hahaha

epic well done job. im sure the owner "mindfcuked" when he/she saw the car. Maybe he even think you repainted his/her car lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys..
Just sharing..
What do u all think if i want transplant my rear back wira to complete rear back lancer evo 3 and it will make looks 100% complete EIII..

Anyone hav done make already?
If hav...lets we all discuss about da xperiance a to z..

:burnout:

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

:burnout:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience