Getrag 6spd

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hey guys,

Any idea whom is best to approach for getting an R34GTR gearbox other than Japan obviously. What's the current market price - I remember someone getting a new one a couple of years back and was in the 20k range IIRC.

Besides that, what sort of gearbox upgrades do most people use locally? Replacement gears or more swapping for aftermarket such as OS Giken, PPG, HKS, etc.

Thanks!
:wavey:

DarkChild

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Hey [PIMPIN],
The six-speed Getrag 'box is quite robust. Synchros may wear out. If you're not looking for serious drag racing or circuit/track racing, just rebuild or you could replace the gears with stronger after market ones. Complete boxes are very nice but can cost a lot. If you can afford it, go for it. I hear that the OS Giken sequential gearbox has helical cut gears and is virtualy as quiet as a standard box.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hey [PIMPIN],
The six-speed Getrag 'box is quite robust. Synchros may wear out. If you're not looking for serious drag racing or circuit/track racing, just rebuild or you could replace the gears with stronger after market ones. Complete boxes are very nice but can cost a lot. If you can afford it, go for it. I hear that the OS Giken sequential gearbox has helical cut gears and is virtualy as quiet as a standard box.
Yeah the thing is I can only find those OS Giken aftermarket gearsets for the 5spd boxes. I guess for the 34's the only option is to swap the whole box for a sequential box or look at other brands so I guess that's something to ponder.

OFF TOPIC: Quick question regarding tires - I know I've asked before but now I've used the tires for half a year and I really need new tires. Sick of the frequent replacing needed with semi slicks so I want a road tire but the thing is I've always run RE540s/RE55s/RT-615s over the years so I'm not too clued in on what's around:banghead:

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
russ

pilot sport 2 ... hemmm ... good for GTR

im using pilot preceda 2 only ... hehehe

Last edited:

DarkChild

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
I wouldn't suggest a short shifter. I was interested in one as well but I did some research and digging online and according to Dino Dalle Carbonare (DCD on GTROC)

Will shaft your Getrag synchros in no time. Most of the J-tuners don't advise to fit one to the 34.
I think he knows what he's talking about...

Maybe that's why you don't see many J-tuners using one.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi guys,

Sorry for lack of reply as of late - health issues.
I've decided to explore the PPG gearbox - updates soon.

Dark - you're right (as usual) regarding the short shifter. It kills boxes.

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
pimpin

i interested on the PPG box as well but
not on GTR but GTiR

one of the weakest link of the GTiR

raptorie54

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
tokyo autolink
Visit site
hey guys!!

im in the project of swapping the getrag 6 speeds tranny into my bcnr33.

just got it mounted to the engine today. next is the propellar shaft work.

items :-

- getrag 6 speeds trans
- hks gt-pro for bnr34
- front section bnr34 prop match with rear bcnr33 prop (dont know whether it works, think is not that simple)

i didnt swap the complete tranny. the bcnr33 front n rear box still stay which the final ratio is 4.11. dont know how its like with a 6 speeds. heard Mines did this set up b4, is this true? but on a bnr34 chasis.

to swap the complete tranny needs all the driveshafts changed. if my current set up failed then i have no choice to get it complete swap.

cant wait to see.

any comment from any sifu's here????

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifu .. I am a new person here. I would like to ask about the car wiring.

- Can use the full set mitsubishi evo 5 wiring installed at mitsubishi evo 4?
- do i need to change the part?

I want to ask if I use the ecu evo 5 or 6 on the evo 4 ... I need to make the wiring from ecu pin 79 to where?
- To obd2 plug pin nombor how?
- Or where?

really need your help all
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience