Basic camshaft installation guide

Discussion in 'News and Features' started by Izso, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MaRvyn

MaRvyn 15 Year | Platinum

2. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

I've never played with PZ or MatSpd cams. Those are regrinded cams. I suspect the clearance is not going to be as 'cantik' as billet which is what I opted for since regrinded essentially is just the stock cam reprofiled. Personally, I'm a bit of a bitch when it comes to modding - I not a huge fan of modding something stock into something else because you'll never achieve what a completely redesigned component can do even though price is probably a lot cheaper. Eg - Modding non-fitting brake caliper with an extra bracket to fit another car. You can do these things but I just don't feel right with such a mod.

Keyword for the above statement : Personally. :biggrin:

This is probably why I never have enough money to mod cuz I'm always doing something overly expensive. Ack

HAHAHA! I like Megan Fox's camshaft theory too! :biggrin:

#22 Izso, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. D7zul

D7zul Senior Member

Megan Fox + Camshafts = Double Orgasm..

hahahahahaha :evil:

4. Veloc

Veloc Senior Member

Bro Izso,

What are the benefits of regrind over billet? Anything dangerous using regrind? Like will it break anything?

5. reuben88

reuben88 Senior Member

Hi Izso.. thanks for the quick reply
    If so, why are PZ or MatSpd cams more expensive than the 'billet' piper cams?
    Hmm.. just wondering. Aren't billet cams suppose to be more expensive than regrinded or forged cams?

6. 93na

93na 5 Year | Silver

to me if you are on a low budget matspeed cams are good they been here since batu 3 time... i been using them since ages from 272. 288. 306 cams... no issue........

7. wld

wld Senior Member

nice info u get there izso.. :)

just got 1 question,if using 288 deg,aircon can still working?

8. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Nah. Nothing will break and it's not dangerous.

I think you're paying for the research work and the fact that PZ and Matspd cams both are proven on track and drag races. It's like paying more for something that's proven and reputable. Nothing wrong with that imho.

Er... what has the aircon any relation to cams? The only way I see your aircon failing is if the idling is not constant. I don't know if 288 degree intake cams need management or not, but I suspect it might be borderline 'no-need'. If your idling is erratic, then you'll need management to control it and your aircon won't be affected.

9. wld

wld Senior Member

hehe sory my english is bad..i mean "288 deg,idling akan kacau aircon tak"..
    oo that mean if using 288deg,idling is not constant but still tak kacau aircon rite?

by the way,thanx for the xplanation.. :)

10. drexchan

drexchan Senior Member

Correction on some of the points and opinions here:

Octane number: Yes the chemical octane rating as in Researched Octane Number or RON of the fuel doesn't change. But we are looking at what is being combusted here - the air/fuel mixture, not just the fuel, so RON is not applicable here. It's the Motor Ron Number or MON that matters here. Contamination from combustion by product is known to decrease the MON of the air/fuel mixture making it easier to self-detonate upon compression.

In Izso's case, he was experiencing a slight amount of knocking with the large overlapping + RON95 fuel. Swapping to RON97 eliminates the knocking thus the engine works better and healthier.

How you tell if it knocks? You can hear it, trust me.

Ignition timing: this engine is crank-referred and it has an electronic ignition system. Whatever he did on the camshaft DIDN'T change the ignition timing. He's pointed out that the only way to adjust the ignition timing (without resorting a new management system) is by modifying the crank sensor bracket, like what I did here.

Tappet clearance adjustment: all you need are a good 12mm close-ring spanner, a flat-head screw driver, good ears and good eyes. Feeler gauge? I keep that in the closet and never use it for long enough that it some how rusted.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

OT: izso, next time don't shot my side face, about 45 degrees to the side is the best angle. OK?

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

OOT: your bracelet in the second photo..... "-_-
    Dude, I even have my watch removed before I worked on your engine so next time don't wear anything like ring, bracelet or watch while working on the engine. It's not good to show a bad example hehe!! XD

11. omnikron

omnikron Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification.

While i understand the overlap causes some exhaust to remain inside the combustion chamber, thus reducing the MON ( as drexchan mentioned earlier), is there anyway to improve the exhaust exit speed? if less exhaust gas remain, so the MON is higher, then less prone to damage, and opens up the opportunity of using RON95.

and why choose the cam profiles that overlap? is there advantages for it? because as i understand the problem now is counter productive, if this car was to travel into more rural areas, that dont sell RON97 petrol, won't that increase the risk of the car getting damaged?

i ask, because i noticed this is a daily driving car, so RON97 availability is important, No?

12. 1JZtezza

1JZtezza Senior Member

In SOHC applications with 'rockers' maybe regrind still ok but in DOHC applications especially for high duration and lift safer to go billet..greater accuracy and symetry;...eg has it been 'hardened' after the regrind???

13. drexchan

drexchan Senior Member

Dude, overlapping between the exhaust and intake stroke is the basic event what a cam modder is looking forward to change lah... What those numbers 262/288/2xx mean when we talk about cam profiles? It's the overlapping duration in cam degrees. If there isn't any overlapping the engine is useless in automotive term.

Higher degree of overlapping is what making all the extra horses even the standard camshaft has overlapping. Performance cam overlaps more for longer intake and exhaust event. Exhaust scavenging will aid intake charging so having overlap is good.

More overlap makes high rev power, less overlap makes good low rev torque and best idling quality is with minimal overlap. Therefore VVT/CVT/VTEC/MIVEC/etc are invented to change the overlapping at different rev range and engine load.

The problem here is not with the camshaft or the tuning of it.

When we talk about knocking, the 4G15 is one of the most robust engine running around with knocks. Seen those Iswara/Wira that are being driven by lazy drivers who never bother to drop shift after a corner around a taman?

I personally think that all he need is increasing the fuel pressure. 4G15 is known to burn lean, too lean. Lean burning + blow back contamination is what causing the knock. Not the cam profile.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

As long as the cam lobes are reprofiled to the specification with accuracy in control, and the surfaces are treated by either nitriding or brickering then a reprofiled/reground camshaft is as good as a billet. After all, it's the same grinding and hardening process that they use to make the so-called billet shafts out of a blank shaft.

A poorly made 'billet shaft' with base circle too big or lobes too high, without precision is even more dangerous to use.

14. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Bugger. :thefinger: If I had the time to take the damn pic properly I'll remember to shoot your 45 degree face la!

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Oh and I hadn't thought about increasing fuel pressure. I'll try that next round b4 I try the big red bottle :biggrin:

15. 1JZtezza

1JZtezza Senior Member

Q: does increasing fuel pressure with stock injectors and ECU actually increase the fuel into the cylinder??

16. drexchan

drexchan Senior Member

2 situations: close-loop & open-loop.

close-loop: near to no difference, as the ECU will take the feedback from O2 sensor and adjust the injectors' duty cycle accordingly to achieve the preset A/F ratio.

open-loop: increase, as the duty cycle is based on the preset fuel mapping, regardless of what the O2 reads.

For cars that run full-time close loop, increasing the fuel pressure will not help delivering more fuel into the cylinder. However, most cars that run on full-time close loop don't have a mechanical regulator. The fuel pressure is controlled by modulating the pulse width of the fuel pump.

For cars that run partial close loop and goes open loop at high speed or high load, more fuel will be delivered in open loop. Same amount of fuel is delivered during close loop. However, since the injectors duty cycle is reduced (imagine smaller opening at higher pressure), the spray will be finer, therefore a certain improvement in the combustion efficiency can be achieved.

17. K_Takuya

K_Takuya Moderate Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Bro drex, cam pm me how much the 260 cam ? include installation

18. turbo10

turbo10 Senior Member

The hellokitty cam needed to be dialed in or just plug and play?

19. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Sorry, not sure what you mean by dialed in.

Mine was quite straight forward, take out existing cam, replace with hello kitty billet Pipercam, adjust cam angle (optional step. default 0 degrees) and drive.

Does this answer your question?

20. turbo10

turbo10 Senior Member

thanks iszo for answering my question..dialing in cam in my Q meaning setting the cam timing according to the cam card spec..open/close cam timing etc. which have to use degree wheel+dial indicator..thanks