4afe "makan" engine oil really quickly

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Hi fellow ZTHians,

Need some help here.

I drive the ae101 (21year old car) with stock 4afe engine. It was the family car before being passed over to me. In my hand, I bring the car for service/engine oil change every 5000km/every 3 months.

So the problem is: the engine oil level will drop till almost empty before 5000km service interval (less than 3 months). Have tried using different oil rating but still the same problem and recently realised the problem is worsening. Last time still can go about 4000km before the oil level starts dropping, now about 3000km already less than half left.

Have asked the mechanic i usually go to, and he suggests to send it for a full overhaul and quoted me a price of about RM4k+, saying it will include changing all the seals, ring and rebore (or something like that). 4k is a very heavy sum for me cos i'm still a student.

Should I go ahead with the full overhaul?
What is the normal price range for this kind of overhaul?
Any second opinions on how to fix the problem?

Please and thank you very much! :adore:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Is your car emitting black smoke eccessively? If so, you might be burning the engine oil thus explain the makan engine oil....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso.. Nope.. clear only..
Then you might have a leakage. Clean your engine bay squeeky clean one of these days, then over the next few days monitor your engine bay and underneath for oil leaks. It might just be a faulty gasket or oil seal.

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Then you might have a leakage. Clean your engine bay squeeky clean one of these days, then over the next few days monitor your engine bay and underneath for oil leaks. It might just be a faulty gasket or oil seal.
Izso.. Previously the mechanic went under to check before but said got ntg.. but anyhow, i'd give it a try... hahah..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
As suggested by Izso, put newspaper under car engine ....see if there are oil stain on the paper.

Is there any fouling on the spark plugs? Smell of oil?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
No white smoke then cannot be piston ring worn. :hmmmm:

RM4K save up for 4AGE transplant better then.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
get a new car la...car nowsaday with better performance and also less fuel efficiency
Dude, please read TS post. He is a student currently and this ride is his family pass to him. The cost of the overhaul is killing him now and you're asking him to pay more amount to get a new car.

He try to get the cheapest way to get his car fix.

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
As suggested by Izso, put newspaper under car engine ....see if there are oil stain on the paper.

Is there any fouling on the spark plugs? Smell of oil?
Ken.. Will try on the oil stain.. Fouling of spark plugs means? sorry, not very clear on some terms.. no smell of unburnt petrol/burning smell..

No white smoke then cannot be piston ring worn. :hmmmm:

RM4K save up for 4AGE transplant better then.
Supra... Hahaha.. tempting but budget limit..

if full overhaul required, get the overhaul kit yourself & just pay the foreman for labour charges only.
try thicker viscosity oil @ mineral oil.
Danz.. mind i know where can get the full overhaul kit? will try the thicker oil on next oil change then see how..

get a new car la...car nowsaday with better performance and also less fuel efficiency
menteafa.. if i can afford a new car, i wont be having headache with this problem edi.. unless you're offering to buy me one? i'll be super thankful :proud:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ken.. Will try on the oil stain.. Fouling of spark plugs means? sorry, not very clear on some terms.. no smell of unburnt petrol/burning smell..
Fouling as in mucking up the spark plugs. Overly burnt or wet plugs = problem with the spark plug = fouling.

One of the best ways to save money is to learn to do it yourself. If you have the budget spend some money on a good ratchet set with all the size sockets. Then go ACE and buy the spark plug socket (find out what size your plugs are first. Google!) and get a long ratchet extension. Removing the spark plugs is dirt easy and a great way to get started with DIY.