Bouncing RPM +

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Hi bros,
Need some opinions here..

I recently installed a pair of adjustable cam-pulleys on my GSR. Everything ran like a charm till recently, on approx 30-50% of throttle once the rev reach 4000rpm's the needle starts to go haywire as it jumps up and down constantly but functioned normally, sometimes.

I also notice that the car felt sluggish when this happen. The engine seems hesitant & not smooth at all during acceleration. Only during WOT or so does it behave normally (RPM needle x bounce) but still it isn't smooth as before.

Now i'm at 4deg. advance [intake] & 4 deg retard [exhaust] ... is this the culprit or is it the other ghost(s) in the machine??
Running on e-manage blue/stock cams/adjusted-a-bit pulley etc.

I know a standalone (haltec plat 1000) would really help, but cant afford one yet. :bawling: :bawling:
Thanx for ur assistance.

Last edited:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Have any ideas??
...... :hmmmm:

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
first, you need to identify the source of the problem....

try to put the original cam-pulleys back and see if the problem is still there. you will be able to see if it's the cam-pulley or some other 'hantu' :)

jo1

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
take out the e-damage... oppssss... e-manage...

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
take out the e-damage... oppssss... e-manage...
Aiyooo dont laa like dat...
Sponsor me la bro haltech plat 1000 hehehe :adore: :adore: :adore:

first, you need to identify the source of the problem....

try to put the original cam-pulleys back and see if the problem is still there. you will be able to see if it's the cam-pulley or some other 'hantu' :)
Waa malas la to do dat job bro...
But since i install them adj pulleys til few weeks later, everthing ran fine. Even when i advance/retard them a bit (2-4 deg). Now even at 0 degree adv/retard the problem still occurs.

One fellow forumer told me that my premature aging ecu is the culprit. He rebuilt a handful of them and other honda,mitsu,toyota vehicle built in '91-'96.
According to him, most of the same problem that he had seen was caused by the ecu.. :hmmmm2::hmmmm:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Anybody can recommend a good ECU repair-man/place...?
Better if get advice from those who have experience/repair their gsr 7737/3308 ecu, so i can estimate repairing cost.
TQ.

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Would it be possible that the Cam Angle Sensor @ distributor is damned?? Or the Power TR/Igniter unit broken?
Thus causing the ecu to fail to read an engine speed???

I've opened up the ECU... no burn/damage,
Take off e-manage.. wiring...
Still wont start....
PLEASE ADVICE

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Matnors..

Done that already. Swap wit 5663 (if not mistaken la) gsr ecu. Won't start at all, even the check engine lite also wont appear at all when ON.

The factory ecu rpm/engine speed is Triggered by the hall sensor rite (CAS@distributor).
I'm waiting for another CAS and coil/power tr/igniter unit to test.

This time i'll try with original ecu only. Hope would solve prob :bawling:

TopRpm

Known Member
Sep 13, 2007
cam@crank sensor..check them..

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Problem cause identified...

A wire going into the damn Igniters were hanging on by a few thread of wires only. From the outside i can't see anything but once i wiggle the wire the timing was gong crazy low and gong back to normal alternately.

Upon examination the wire for the ignters that is labeled OB2 if not mistaken (yellow wit green stripe wire) was almost severed on the inside. Seems like the sensors (meaning mitsubishi's electronics/sensors isn't that bad..) outlived them factory wirings.

Looks like a major task of doing a complete custom wiring job.. Might as well do them together when have budget to install stand-alone.

Thanks for the input!! :biggrin:

Wish that platinum sport series not so expensive..
Plat. Sport 1000 + custom wiring = NO MORE INTERMTTENT PROBLEMS>!!!

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Problem cause identified...

A wire going into the damn Igniters were hanging on by a few thread of wires only. From the outside i can't see anything but once i wiggle the wire the timing was gong crazy low and gong back to normal alternately.

Upon examination the wire for the ignters that is labeled OB2 if not mistaken (yellow wit green stripe wire) was almost severed on the inside. Seems like the sensors (meaning mitsubishi's electronics/sensors isn't that bad..) outlived them factory wirings.

Looks like a major task of doing a complete custom wiring job.. Might as well do them together when have budget to install stand-alone.

Thanks for the input!! :biggrin:

Wish that platinum sport series not so expensive..
Plat. Sport 1000 + custom wiring = NO MORE INTERMTTENT PROBLEMS>!!!
go for microtech lt8s lah cheaper and can solve the prob aso

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
go for microtech lt8s lah cheaper and can solve the prob aso
plan to go wit platinum sport coz i plan to do some/complete tuning myself.
I have the platnum sport 1000 software, learning bout it... and its really user friendly. Gives me the chance of learning to tune using wideband bro.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
plan to go wit platinum sport coz i plan to do some/complete tuning myself.
I have the platnum sport 1000 software, learning bout it... and its really user friendly. Gives me the chance of learning to tune using wideband bro.
oooo then i would do the same as well so i can get a chance to tune my own car
good luck in ur ventures then :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All,

Now that my 1JZGTE VVTI is finally optimized with Greddy Emanage Blue that pumped out 256whp, now i think i want to perform an on the road tuning to match the engine to my driving style. I am not saying the existing tune is not good for me but i think its better to tune according to road conditions and also driving style to bring the car's performance to better level. Anyone can recommend any experts for the above ?

Thanks
Ken
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience