[DIY] How to decrease engine bay temperature

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Though I don't think this decreases engine bay temp, it sure helps with engine temperature. A low temp thermostat.

Original was 83 or 84 degrees celsius. My water temp would sometimes reach 90 or more. Now with the low temp thermostat (rated at 72 degrees) I'm getting no more than 76 degrees at most. Keeps the water cool and the engine oil doesn't exceed 95 degrees now which is good. Previously I would sometimes get 105 degrees engine oil temp which is not good.
Ready for track play......:driver:

ckdenion

Aug 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Though I don't think this decreases engine bay temp, it sure helps with engine temperature. A low temp thermostat.

Original was 83 or 84 degrees celsius. My water temp would sometimes reach 90 or more. Now with the low temp thermostat (rated at 72 degrees) I'm getting no more than 76 degrees at most. Keeps the water cool and the engine oil doesn't exceed 95 degrees now which is good. Previously I would sometimes get 105 degrees engine oil temp which is not good.
i changed my stock thermostat to a lower operating temp. too...it does help lowering down engine temp. when cruising on highway can also notice that water temp drops...

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
Without thermostat, ur oil might not be able to reach the optimum working temperature, especially at night. It might not bring much harm if u are cruising, but I'm afraid it will bring extra stress to ur engine if u do sudden acceleration, high revving, or WOT. The similar reason we do not high rev the car till it's proper warmed up.

Besides, I personally experienced engine stalled and resulted steering locked up during rainy days the moment I tried shifting gears. The vehicle could not start even I kicked on the clutch, but only with the key. That's y I think removing thermostat is Very dangerous.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
removing thermostat is an awesome mod for a track only car that sees wide open throttle 90% of the time. on a normal street car it is plain stupid.

i used a "low temp" thermostat. threw it out and used back a normal one. Engines are more efficient and healthy at their specified operating temperature. too hot AND too cold is bad for it.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
removing thermostat is an awesome mod for a track only car that sees wide open throttle 90% of the time. on a normal street car it is plain stupid.

i used a "low temp" thermostat. threw it out and used back a normal one. Engines are more efficient and healthy at their specified operating temperature. too hot AND too cold is bad for it.
Oh yeah. Izso did the same thing.
Haven't ask what's his thoughts on daily driving.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Yup, agree. If car engine is standard whatever standard equipment have been calculated to be used accordingly. Unless the engine have been mod and running at higher temperature then changing to lower temperature thermostat will be fine...

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

His one engine mod already but not sure by how much. Moreover he change radiator too.....:driver:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
My foreman said that is bad to have too low cooling temp. It is because the piston is hot while running but the outer cylinder is too cold.

So the piston could not expend properly while engine running and squized by the cylinder wall.

The your engine part tear & wear will be faster than normal engine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My foreman said that is bad to have too low cooling temp. It is because the piston is hot while running but the outer cylinder is too cold.

So the piston could not expend properly while engine running and squized by the cylinder wall.

The your engine part tear & wear will be faster than normal engine.
That is why must reach optimum operating temperature.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

vr2turbo hit the spot. My engine isn't standard hence I run hotter than normal, even more so with my previous head that had max skim therefore running somewhat high compression. On average the water temp was always above the stock thermostat opening temp (85 degrees) so now that it opens at 72 I'm happy. At cruising speeds I get a constant 72-74 degrees and when in stop-go traffic it just shoots up like any other car - meaning 80 degrees and above. But these days I never touch 90 degrees anymore even in the hot burning sun in a complete standstill situation. My old worn out thermostat would struggle with the heat and sometime I would feel the aircon warming up and then eventually see the thermometer shoot up to the redzone.

So yeah, I need a low temp thermostat. Stock car not entirely necessary nor is it going to kill you.

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
I have already tried Thermal Wrap Extractor but my hood temperature decrease only 1° F and my muffler emit very hot exhaust gas. Because header have have no air ventilation. But the real problem was when I have an oil leak in engine and it drop to the thermal wrapped pipes. After 15 minutes of driving the car. Smoke emitted out of my hood just like car on fire.
So I removed the Thermal Wrap and throw it away.:banghead:

The video will shock you. But I can't post it. I don't know how to edit and removed my car plate number from video.:biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
actually i did a simple project lately, i used those soundproof mat with silver reflective side and have them on the bonnet.

the overall temperature was seriously reduced..

soundproof wise, its still as noisy.
you could probably try it, cheap too

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I have already tried Thermal Wrap Extractor but my hood temperature decrease only 1° F and my muffler emit very hot exhaust gas. Because header have have no air ventilation. But the real problem was when I have an oil leak in engine and it drop to the thermal wrapped pipes. After 15 minutes of driving the car. Smoke emitted out of my hood just like car on fire.
So I removed the Thermal Wrap and throw it away.:banghead:

The video will shock you. But I can't post it. I don't know how to edit and removed my car plate number from video.:biggrin:
for my case (with no engine oil leak on the wraps), the 1st time after thermal wrap is done on the header, some faint smell and a bit smoke will produce when the header gets heated up to operating temp. Nothing to be concern of. nothing thererafter...

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point

what if my car is normal street car & I like to redline a lot especially 1st & 2nd gear, will it be advisable to remove the thermostat?? my car, kancil 660(A), imagine 40km/h 1st gear & 90km/h 2nd gear.:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
what if my car is normal street car & I like to redline a lot especially 1st & 2nd gear, will it be advisable to remove the thermostat?? my car, kancil 660(A), imagine 40km/h 1st gear & 90km/h 2nd gear.:biggrin:
Your kancil got RPM one meh? :rofl:
Remove thermostat later your car overheat pun tak tau leh.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ladies and gents, Group Lotus PLC has just confirmed that Mr Dany Bahar is no longer Chief Executive Officer of Lotus, with immediate effect, which follows the result of an investigation due to a complaint made by DRB-HICOM Bhd against Dany.

<!--more-->However, Group Lotus has announced that they have appointed Mr Aslam Farikullah, aged 51 with most of his 26 years of experience having been...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience