Advan Neova AD08 RIPped!

bsm

Aug 15, 2005
W.P.
Hi, i was driving at around 160kmh today when my front tire decided to rip off like a donut and go rolling away in front of my car. Here are some pics. The funny thing is this is the second time this has happened and the way the tire ripped off was exactly the same. This time round though i kept the outer ring that ripped off and found a little hole that was caused by a nail or something. But my question is, how does the tire rip off a perfect circle like this. And twice?? The first time round i was using Toyo Proxes R1R's. That happened about 2 years ago but that time it was the rear right tire. This time round it was the Front Left. Anyone have any explanation to why the tire rips off like this?

Thanks.

Attachments

bsm

Aug 15, 2005
W.P.
that was what i was thinking. that the nail caused the tire to deflate. and i was driving to klia so yeah it was a long distance. but is it normal for the tire to rip in that pattern. such a neat circle?

bsm

Aug 15, 2005
W.P.
oh ok. but my sidewall looked fine. maybe the nail caused a slow leak and then coz i was driving slightly far and fast it caused the tire to deflate faster and then rip like that?

marvick

Jul 24, 2005
MALAYSIA
maybe the rubber expired d thus making it prone to crack from inside the tire and adding stress from some spirited driving summore then it ripped in a very dramatic circular shape... or just maybe tire manufacturer defect.. :)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dont think its a defect, the ad07 has soft walls. low pressure put more stress on the walls and may rip it up as u drive farther. it must have been a slow puncture, or at least i dont see anything else dat can do dat?

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
I tried to put almost 300km@100km/h on a 235/40/18 T1R after hit a rock in the middle of the highway and put a small hole at the tire side wall. I even used it for sometimes with lorry tires patch (few times above 230km/h). I dare not say your case is 100% has nothing to do with the fender rubbing or tire size/wheel width not match properly. Maintain low pressure (20's) for long time may cause similar incident too. The car is not in front of me so it has not enough data to process and what actually happen can only be a guess.

dareMAX

Known Member
Aug 3, 2004
RAMD
Mind I ask, how old is your tyre? 2008 09 perhaps? Looks scary to me... coz I'm still using 2008. Too waste to change coz tread still thick.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, could it be:

1. Tyre rubbing inside parts (absorber, etc) because of rim offset too positive; or
2. Defective rims.

One of my friends complained about tyres 'blown' too frequently, the problem was solved by changing to another set of rims. I was told by him that the previous set had become 'tajam' (sharpened), don't know what he meant by that, could be that it simply means that the set of rims had become defective by use. FYI, they're locally made rims.

One of the first thing that you can do is have your car lift-jacked and check for:

1. Tyre clearance against absorbers, etc.
2. Abnormal wear on INSIDE sidewall (not sidewall facing outside).

I think you can start to look for possible causes other than tyres because the tyres that you use are:

1. Bought new?
2. Of two different, reputable brands.
3. Happened on rear right first and then front left.

I'm a cheapo who uses 2nd hand old tyres but still, I've never experienced this sort of problem.

Last edited:

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
My fren also experienced a frequent puncture. After changing new sets of rims the problem solved. This usually happened to "expensive" rims which had been repeatedly recond/skim/repaired. Luckily ur rims didnt break into pieces....

e39a

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
OZ
Visit site
I agree with those who mentioned that the cause is underinflated tyre.

Afew years back, when I went to Kuala Klawang with some friends, my Ke70 was wearing ad07 at the fronts.

Prior to starting the journey, I forgot to check the tyre pressure, and true enough, halfway enjoying the spirited drive/drift, my front left went totally flat, probably due to the soft walls, and inherently the whole tyre almost came out, causing me to almost lose control while taking corners.

So yeah, underinflated tyres would prolly cause the walls to give way, and since you were travelling fast, the sudden loss of pressure in the tyres cause the walls to collapse, and the edge of the rims sit on the walls, hence "cutting" the walls perfectly...similar to cutting pizza with the cutting wheel...

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
what year of manufacture?
buy new or from used tyre?
car always park under hot sun or dry..

i believe the tyre expired already..
what i know..if new tyre keep in store (never use) can last for 4-5 years (if cannot sell they need to dispose) and can used on road for 1 year on road.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Mind I ask, how old is your tyre? 2008 09 perhaps? Looks scary to me... coz I'm still using 2008. Too waste to change coz tread still thick.
mine also used same year..need to check the rubber..still soft or not?

stevenseahkl

From Facebook
Sep 26, 2010
www.facebook.com
I would say aggressive ones shld change tires after 2-3 years. Even if the thread looks good. I have too many bad experiences of delaying tire change, now I change it before I feel the AQUA-JIGGY_MOVE,,,,.... scary. If drive like auntie, this is irrelevant. But even for auntie-like drivers (yes thats me too), they will 'speed' in unfamiliar conditions (like a wet floor) once in a while (like CNY in KL), and that is seriously hazardous. SOoooooo I would say change it every 3 years! GONG XI GONG XI

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This tyre should not be too old as it is an AD-08. The nail hole do not look damaging and should have been be a small leak only. I think your tyres got deflated slowly and you did not check. The cutting of the tyres are due to the tyres running deflated. The rims were grinding the sidewall against the road, as you travel and the more it grinds, it cuts into the sidewall therefore tearing it apart.
That is why keeping the tyres properly inflated is very important......Even running tyres with low air pressure will heat up the tyres faster....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Enkei RS6 15 inch Brown colour sport rim for sell with RM500.00
Suitable to install to any car with 4 tyres hole...
interest pls call : Yong 0173353639
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience