evo9 vs fd2 vs golf gti mk6

What's good for comfort, looks and mods?

• CIVIC FD2R

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EVO 9

• Golf GTI MK6

• Total voters

sti-yookuza

Known Member
Apr 14, 2006
well use to drive a sti ver8...i get wat u mean...well i think..sometimes we as humans we like to push our boundaries way over the limit...tat is when shit happens...i wrapped my sti into a divider...arrested..had my blood check for drugs and alcohol..attended court...paid a hefty fine for damaging public property...hahaha...tat was a lesson well learnt...well i guess...i wouldnt do what i use to do wit my car now...learned my lesson...hence this discussion on which car to get...lets get bck to the topic guys...thanks for the info

Ernest

Dec 6, 2006
I thinks that fd2r looks the best while golf gti is the most comfort and easy driven, but comes with good performance too. The DSG has a smooth shifting. But since the thread starter wanted a manual, i suggest fd2r.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
well mainly the car will be driven during the weekends not as often as parking is kinda expensive in hong kong. i would prefer manual. in hong kong roads r pretty stiff and narrow here. power wise maybe a lil more than stock.. highly modded cars in hong kong is like a po^po attractor...hahahaa....
If a fun manual weekend car is what you're looking for, i'd recommend the FD2R. Out of the box, it is probably the funnest car of the 3. The FD2R's got a good suspension setup, has 8000rpm to play with, shifts through the gears really well, gear ratios suited for city and hill roads. It's not going to cruise well on highways especially not without you wanting the invisible 7th gear, but Hong Kong isn't exactly big and draped with long distance roads anyway. If my impression of HK is similar to Singapore, i'd say the FD2R is a perfect weapon for you.

though you may want to consider road conditions and if your spouse is comfortable with such discomforts.

try borrowing one for a couple of days to judge.

The MK6 GTI is a great car, DSG is great, handles well especially with the EDC and XDS built in. but like elms80 and some says, it is also its biggest drawback for picky drivers. Great daily pocket rocket, yes. Inspiring, maybe not.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
stupidity is just plain stupidity... it has got nothing to do with the car...

don't blame the car as it is people who often drive beyond their capabilities...

a dumbass driver will kill himself and other road users whether he is driving an evo or a civic or a golf or a trolley cart...

going back on topic, if it is going to be a weekend car with just a little more juice than standard, all 3 cars fit into your preference.

however, i have another question. since its going to be a weekend car, why not go for a 2-door car instead?

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
Type R and comfort in the same sentence? :P

Mk6 gets my vote :D

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Oh, I smell a few Golf heads in here...

Look no offense taken please. I, personally just have an issue with cars which are a result of gimmicky marketing ploys.

The VW GTi Mk 1 was legendary because it combined a revvy engine with a nippy chassis. It made for fun, cheap and reliable motoring.

Subsequent GTi/Golfs were pig ugly and grew in weight with each evolution, the entire spirit of what made the MK1 great was thus lost.

A small amount of that essence found itself in the Mk5 and possibly, Mk6. This is a good thing but this is just because Mk2,3 and 4 were pigs.

Compare its drive and aggression against the Ford Focus RS. If you're a motorhead, you'll immediately get what i'm talking about.

People who talk about comfort/economy should not bother with any car remotely to do with performance. You are wasting your time and more importantly the time of others when you ask fundamentally flawed and "I'm thinking about...." kinda questions.

redridinghood86

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
VW Golf GTi MK1 is built with the passion for driving, light weight, no extra safety GIZMOs, great handling, looks decently good and lots more. I am a fan.

MK5, 6 are good cars from what I heard, but mainly because it's German and it has the ever wonderful DSG gearbox and those reviews/articles, are from the general public(friends who aren't really driving enthusiasts), journalists and sponsored drivers on facebooks/magazines/internet. Drove it once during a test drive, it did not attract me to get one, bear in mind that I am an owner of an FD2R for a year.

Reason being, it is no longer the Golf GTi that I used to love, it deviates too far from the original rabbit. Twin clutch gearboxes are great, when I drove it, perhaps I had expected it to be too responsive, the slight lag put me off a bit. Taking corners, they aren't bad at it, but it will be an insult to compare it to the Type R's, no f*cking where near. Engine was good and that's the only thing that impressed me, however, it doesn't differ much from the high revving K20A, perhaps only a little. And for that kind of price, I expect better brakes, but they decided to put the money into those GIZMOS. These few factors made me think, this is no longer a car for driving pleasure, no longer a car where only real drivers love, this is a car that VW wants to sell, "screw those passionate drivers, we wanna sell cars to the general public"

I know it's harsh, but that's my exact opinion. I like the car, but not as a track/weekend rider, it's a perfect daily driver, however, I can live with the FD2R so there's no more selling point.

Just to point out, the safety features are good, but why do you want to bring it beyond its capabilities on the street? Even a car with electronics as good as a GTR will not help you if you
take turn 9 at 200KPH, you will still crash into the barrier.

Just my 5 cents

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
If im rich..MK6 - GF / Wife
Evo HP king - Me
FD2R - everyday car..Don't mind the "harsh" ride..i can live wit it..I think..
hahahaha..

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
People who talk about comfort/economy should not bother with any car remotely to do with performance. You are wasting your time and more importantly the time of others when you ask fundamentally flawed and "I'm thinking about...." kinda questions.
Though i've not owned many cars in my life i believe you're wrong about taking into consideration the option of comfort and economy within the confines of a performance car.

A performance car doesn't just exist to tear up the track. In this case the cars mentioned here are more sport compacts than anything else. Having comfort and reliability should be an integral part of each car, after all, all 3 were initially to be daily drivers.

Granted the FD2R isn't very comfortable in terms of ride quality but the interior trim isn't exactly F40 spartan style.

What these cars attempt to do is bridge the gap between the casual car enthusiast and the absolute nutter that finds a race track on all pieces of tarmac.

Asking a fundamentally flawed question can lead to a number of interesting arguments as well as insights about people. But it is true, threads like these aren't always the most fun to read, as a lot of people just gives two line answers, but for those who care to give semi-detailed accounts of their experiences in either owning, test driving, or personal opinion on 1 of the 3 cars mentioned, it would almost be worth the time and effort spent to read.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
My pick is :

evo9
fd2r
gti mk6.

I like my ride a bit raw....:driver: I prefer manual transmission.

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
Another car that would fit this mould in the same price range is the megane RS250 :o

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
also u must consider the 2nd hand market price if u re not gonna hold on to it for long bro....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im looking for engine damper for my Waja, i already search for few accs. shop but cant found it. Got any Waja user here got mod any engine damper for their car to recogment?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience