Can i change from BOV to CBV?

tailgatepro

Jan 25, 2010
Singapore
My car is from NA to turbo.

Was installed with BOV.
I don't like to whisper sound, so can it be done from BOV to CBV?

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
CBV?..u mean recirculate?..sure u can..

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
CBV?..u mean recirculate?..sure u can..
CBV=Compressor Bypass Valve

aka blow in Valve, recirculation bypass valve etc.

Yes, sure it can. For car uses MAF, in fact it's better to use a CBV to reroute the dumped air back into the compressor to prevent air starve n engine stall.

For MAP, it won't effect much though...

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
I find that car with MAF using recirculating route tends to drive much better in terms on engine performance.Definitely able to but will you be able to get an adapter for your BOV that you are currently using?I think SSQV has a recirculating kit and as i know sheepdog BOV does have the recirculating madel as well.But a sheepdog BOV with a recirculating route couple with an open pod filter does produce those fluttering sound.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I find that car with MAF using recirculating route tends to drive much better in terms on engine performance.Definitely able to but will you be able to get an adapter for your BOV that you are currently using?I think SSQV has a recirculating kit and as i know sheepdog BOV does have the recirculating madel as well.But a sheepdog BOV with a recirculating route couple with an open pod filter does produce those fluttering sound.
There are tons of dump valve that's able to recirculate. SSQV has a recirculation kit. But it's hardly found in Malaysia. But I've posted somewhere sometime ago on the drawing/dimension of the recirculation adapter if anyone would wanna to fabricate it from a machine shop.

Not all sheepdog comes with recirculation capability. some does. Fluttering sound is the sound of compressor surge.

Greddy type-s is one of a good option but it's becoming rare item nowadays and ppl boost the price like he'll for a secondhand unit. Provided u wanna opt for non original parts. Type rs is also a good choice and they are still widely sold in the market. Some machinist actually does the recirculation kit as stock. So, recorculating a greddy type rs is not a problem.

One of the recirculation bypass valve I'd really wanna try out is the synchronic dump valve from Synapse. Heard lotsa good review about it.

And on top of all mentioned, u can also try to look for evo 8/9 recirculaton dump valve which is steel instead of the conventional plastic ones that easily leak.

All mentioned above have a choice of original/immitation except foe the last option. But bare in mind that the ori's are sold in such price for a reason...:) take care..

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
S2H,the funny thing is another sheepdog BOV that was fitted into an evo also produces the fluttering sound which i know ppl say is compressor surge.So meaning compressor surge is bad for the engine and the thing is when the sheepdog is not fitted into the recirculating inlet i can see that the BOV is working but why does it produces this sound?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
S2H,the funny thing is another sheepdog BOV that was fitted into an evo also produces the fluttering sound which i know ppl say is compressor surge.So meaning compressor surge is bad for the engine and the thing is when the sheepdog is not fitted into the recirculating inlet i can see that the BOV is working but why does it produces this sound?
Well, the compressor surge happens when the throttle closes and the dump valve is not opening. As a result, the compressed air has no where to go but to reverse the flow direction and flow back to the compressor.

Compressor surge can cause severe harm to the compressor, not the engine. This only applies when engine is running at high rpm and high boost. Imagine the compressor is spinning at high rpm, the air is flowing at high speed and high pressure. A sudden return of the air with ati directional flow will cause severe turbulence within the compressor housing and it MIGHT shake the compressor wheel and damage the shaft/bearing/fins.

However, it's fine and normal to have a little surges on the low end. This is because at low rpm, the vacum during the close throttle is not sufficient to overcome the spring force and open the dump valve. So, the mild compressed air kicks back, but not strong enough to damage the compressor.

Now, back to your question.

1) Surges is there, but u don;t realize it. But when u recirculate, U silence the Blow off, and the surges are more noticeable.

2) The spring rate is too high for the vacumn to overcome. But sheepdog is adjustable. try to adjust the setscrew/nut. It could help.

Well, just something to share. The bigger the turbo, the more severe the harm is to the compressor. Which is why, the big frame turbos are normally equipped with anti-surge system within the compressor housing which prevents direct surges on the compressor wheel. But can still hear the surges sound, but make no effect to the fins.

if i'm using standalone, where do i route the excess air? to the compresor suction pipe?
When u talk about reroute, it goes to the suction/intake. But when u uses standalone, u're converting from MAF to MAP sensor. So, blowing off is fine because the injectors react directly refering to the manifold absolute pressure. So, no problem with stalling engines and air starvation. Provided u want to silent ur car...

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
S2H,Yes, you are right.Compressor surge harms the turbine and not the engine.My bad.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
S2H, sometime i feel annoy with the blow off sound so plan to redirect it into system...maybe bored with sqv whistle :rofl:
Once upon a time, S2H has an order of EVO IC piping from a customer from Nilai. However, S2H does not provide COD outside of Klang Valley. Somehow, buyer offered UPAH HANTAR than S2H can never refuse... RM2++ just to deliver from KL to Nilai.. Calculating the cost that involved in sending the stuff, S2H agreed to send.

On the next day, S2H happily driving his car into the NS Highway with his newly installed SSQV ORIGINAL... Coming near to a R&R, S2H was highly irritated with the whistle from the SSQV and couldn't stand the high octave NOISE and he finally stop at the R&R to remove the SSQV and replace it with the plastic recirculation valve from stock EVO IC piping. S2H worrying about the way return home which have to bare with the noise again... S2H felt moody all they way till client's place.

When reached the client's place, Client ask why was that SSQV lying in the rear boot and he made an offer to top up some money to swap the plastic CBV. Happily, S2H accept the offer without any negotiation to top up more than offered and there he goes... S2H, driving happily with his quiet car all the way back to KL... Though there are some minor boost leak, but tolerating the boost leak is anyway better than tolerating the whistle....

Thank you for reading. Story was narated from a true story and purely based on personal experience. IF there is any unsatisfation on the statement included in the story, please keep it to yourself and I won;t entertain and care... Hehe....

Right now, I'm using Greddy TYPE S recirculating back into the intake ram... Welcome to the silent killer world...

pijulrs

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
Once upon a time, S2H has an order of EVO IC piping from a customer from Nilai. However, S2H does not provide COD outside of Klang Valley. Somehow, buyer offered UPAH HANTAR than S2H can never refuse... RM2++ just to deliver from KL to Nilai.. Calculating the cost that involved in sending the stuff, S2H agreed to send.

On the next day, S2H happily driving his car into the NS Highway with his newly installed SSQV ORIGINAL... Coming near to a R&R, S2H was highly irritated with the whistle from the SSQV and couldn't stand the high octave NOISE and he finally stop at the R&R to remove the SSQV and replace it with the plastic recirculation valve from stock EVO IC piping. S2H worrying about the way return home which have to bare with the noise again... S2H felt moody all they way till client's place.

When reached the client's place, Client ask why was that SSQV lying in the rear boot and he made an offer to top up some money to swap the plastic CBV. Happily, S2H accept the offer without any negotiation to top up more than offered and there he goes... S2H, driving happily with his quiet car all the way back to KL... Though there are some minor boost leak, but tolerating the boost leak is anyway better than tolerating the whistle....

Thank you for reading. Story was narated from a true story and purely based on personal experience. IF there is any unsatisfation on the statement included in the story, please keep it to yourself and I won;t entertain and care... Hehe....

Right now, I'm using Greddy TYPE S recirculating back into the intake ram... Welcome to the silent killer world...
Same story like mine had few month ago....:rofl:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sorry... Turbo cars can use MAF?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Sorry... Turbo cars can use MAF?
Example:
Mitsubishi 4G93T
Mitsubishi 4G63T
Mitsubishi 6A12TT
Mazda B8 Turbo 180/210
Toyota 1JZ

And the list goes on.

What he was trying to say was, turbocharged car that uses MAF tends to feel better n more responsive when BOV recirculates. And yes it is.

But fluttering sound could be caused by compressor surge.

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
sample...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Example:
Mitsubishi 4G93T
Mitsubishi 4G63T
Mitsubishi 6A12TT
Mazda B8 Turbo 180/210
Toyota 1JZ

And the list goes on.

What he was trying to say was, turbocharged car that uses MAF tends to feel better n more responsive when BOV recirculates. And yes it is.

But fluttering sound could be caused by compressor surge.
Hey seriously... I never knew that turbo can use MAF. I thought all turbo must use MAP? This is new... How does the MAF function in turbo car? And why do people and my mech say that if we would to turbo a 4AGE Silvertop, must change the MAF to MAP? They said it is not good for turbo... Please advice...
Sorry a bit off topic...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hey seriously... I never knew that turbo can use MAF. I thought all turbo must use MAP? This is new... How does the MAF function in turbo car? And why do people and my mech say that if we would to turbo a 4AGE Silvertop, must change the MAF to MAP? They said it is not good for turbo... Please advice...
Sorry a bit off topic...
Lolz... MAF is a method ur EMS measure the flow in terms of flow volume. MAP, is also a way to measure air consumed by the engine, but in terms of pressure... And both the pressure and flow have direct relation. Just the matter how ur ECU gonna calculate... 1 speaks german, one speaks, chinese.. that's all... But both measuring method also can be used...

But when it comes to BOV, because some car like Supra 1JZ, EVO 1-9, Nissan RB's, GSR, Nissan SRs, it's recommended to recirculate the excess air back into the air intake ram tu avoid miscalculation of the ECU.

Some hot wires MAF can be located before the TB after the turbo. Those MAF turbocharged engine can use BOV.

bump...
:hmmmm:
Sorry, late reply. Here U go... Got it from a friend. But I've not use any SQV...