HONDATA vs POWERFC vs eMANAGE vs CROME vs HALTECH vs UNICHIP etc

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
Hondata, no doubt. where are u from? i know a tuner who does hondata tuning.

he quoted me s300, install = rm 3.2-3.5k region. dyno not included.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Actually I wonder if there is any merit to chosing one management over another.

Personally, I think it's highlydependent on the features you're planning to use.

For me, I'm using the hondata s300, but if I have the money, it'll probably be AEM EMS with the Engine Position Sensor, so I can run coil packs and ditch the distributor and plug wires. There are loads of other inputs and outputs too, but it would take ages to do them all. To make the car run, probably quite easy. To implement ALL the features the ECU has into an old-bseries engine? probably not so easy.

There's also features that are available that usually don't get used, like strain gauge, g-sensors, compensation, ign. retard per (insert factor here).

For me, a full standalone that is hassle free and very easy to use is hondata. No fiddling through long forums or having zero tech support. Most of the time, its so easy, you can adjust the more important settings yourself, like idle speed, or in some cases, idle valve duty, and identifying CEL codes and resetting CEL without removing battery and more.

For me, the most useful is datalog. Datalog is most useful when trouble shooting intermittent (aka sometime got, sometime don't have) problems. For example, do you have any idea how to track down an intermittently faulty TPS? Naturally TPS don't spoil, but in my case, my car jerked on light throttle for a day then disappeared, then occured again, I datalogged, found that the TPS signal is erratic, and sometimes voltage dropped, engaging the DFCO (discrete fuel cutoff, a normal feature in most Japanese EFI cars for fuel economy.) causing the jerk.

Easy, problem solved.
Otherwise, I'd have checked the plugs, the plug cables, the distributor coil, etc. etc. which takes ages, not to mention having to replace parts that is possibly faulty (halfcut yard)
Normally, we'd have checked the plugs, the plug cables, the distributor, etc, but with datalogging, can actually cut down diagnostic time, if the owner/owner's mechanic/tuner knows how to tinker with it, or already suspects a problem, but cannot see it for himself.

Depending on use, you can do a lot of things with a standalone. Since I run the
hondata-innovate LM1+auxbox combo, for me, the features are quite enough, though I'd still want coilpacks so can ditch the distributor + plugwires.

Features I use:
a) G-sensors for two directions (front/rear & left/right) Very useful to set your suspension hardness. You can actually see the difference in the amount of 'tilt' you car has with different settings.

b) o2 sensor : Very useful to check for fuelling problems. Engine choking? injector possibly dirty? running dangerously lean? Fuel pump maxing out?

c) injector duty through innovate LMA-3 (much more accurate, hondata, and most other after market ECUs) displays 'uncorrected' duty. Fuelling changes based on IAT/ECT and barometric/PA sensor (on some cars), so what appears on the map versus what innovate reads off the injector is not the same.

d) Oil press - with a 5V pressure sensor, the LM1 can read oil pressure sensors. They're not cheap though, so a 300 or so mechanical oil temp would do a better job and cheaper too. It's so you know when you're losing oil pressure (which usually indicates a failing/failed oil pump) so you can replace it before major damage happen.

e) video output - if you're into racing (legal or ahem! otherwise), but pls remember ZTH does not condone/support illegal racing).

In hondata s300, there is a little known feature that can output engine parameters so you can overlay them on video. No more do you need to take picture of meter or whatever. Just datalog, and when editing your in-car cam, overlay it on the video to get real time engine parameter feedback on the video. I already posted the link many times before, so I won't whore it again.

In the end, the ECU choice must best reflect what you want to do. If you want the bases of features, it's crome for honda. Hondata s300 pluses are the friendlier software and support, and also the fact that it comes with a built in ROM emulator. No mess of fiddly cables.. just a board, and a RM5 USB cable, and since it's so easy, heck, even the owner can do some of the settings himself (though not for ALL settings)

For me, if considering to run a VERY expensive standalone, it's best done with an individual coil packs conversion for it to be truly value for money / for it to make sense. Or with AEM EMS's standalone, I'd love to play with the traction control and various other inputs and outputs.

more expensive does not equate better in some cases. like the F-Con V pro. IT's not a lousy ECU, I think it's a great system with drive by wire support, but the price... (O_o) Not forgetting, that FCON-V pro is a street ECU, with provisions to retain the original ECU for climate control.

Many plusses and minuses to each brand. It's up to the owner to see how deep his pocket goes, and how much CONTROL(tuning wise) he wants over his car.

Last edited:

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Shiroitenshi : Props for the great explanation! I'm sure quite a few members, including myself appreciate the explanation.

goldenegg

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
update..

12 vote for hondata
3 vote eManage
1 vote for power fc
1 vote for crome
0vote for haltech
0 vote for unichip

thanks shiro..appreciated!

dcloo

1,500 RPM
May 11, 2005
kl
From what owner try to tell its was going to STD mode example:extractor,intake manifold,CAI, or high cam

VAFC+chip,emanage + chip this will good for you cause both can control your AF and your Vtec point this will common can tune most of tuner around whole malysia

Crome Tune will good for you also cause its feature close to Hondata and its cost effective

Hondata price will still keep increase due on currency and its still not the BEST Choice ECU compare with Haltech,Microtech,Power FC since u have budget 4k for your ECU, Hondata Its have an friendly user software

Power FC was good and have an hand set datalog display/setting controller (rev cut,ignition,AF,Fan controller,bla bla) but u have limited tuner available at m'sia who has the cable and the software

Haltech/microtech its a bit complicated with wiring and software if you have some good skill wiring,tuning(installer,yourself) its not a problem if you can handle all of this

Dastek Unichip u just like limited your self on tuner and place you have to go tune a
all feature just similar like emanage ultimate and also its was piggy back ECU and have to top up hardware for others feature

all above just my 2 cnts to share with your guys so no heart feeling :driver:

goldenegg

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
Im wondering wat is the actual price for crome tuning per session..anyone knows??

jessie

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
hondata looks like a stock ECU (advantage)

disadvanatge
has no hand held controller (useful for touch-up tune & viewing temps and knock on the fly without hassle of a laptop)

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006

disadvanatge
has no hand held controller (useful for touch-up tune & viewing temps and knock on the fly without hassle of a laptop)
There is a third party solution, called the Tunerview.
http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/37

I don't really like them though, because I can use the next best thing. a laptop and a RM5 usb cable. try asking for a cable set for e-manage and other aftermarket ecus and see :P

Anyway, the FC commander stuff and all that, how often touch up tune is done anyway? and with hard launches.. habis tercabut.. (O_o)

If for WOW/syiok factor, I think AFC Neo better la.. COLOUR screen, bling bling lo!

Of course, depend on individual taste la.
If I can hide the oil press meter, I would, because I like my car looking as standard as possible.

But if endless pocket depth.. haltechs (higher end models, not the beginner model) and AEM EMS would be my choices. Even more features to learn and experiment with. but look at the prices of the higher end models for haltech, and sure enough, close to AEM EMS units.

For the poster
If retaining stock mostly, Apexi AFC Neo should fit your bill. 1K plus, and comes with bling factor. Just don't simply park everywhere, or you'd find a broken window on your car one day.

Last edited:

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site

disadvanatge
buy one of those cheap mini notebook nowadays can use with the hondata....mayb soon the notebook will bcome smaller also....but it'll b nice if the notebook have illuminated keyboard...so easier to use in the car at nite....:biggrin:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
buy one of those cheap mini notebook nowadays can use with the hondata....mayb soon the notebook will bcome smaller also....but it'll b nice if the notebook have illuminated keyboard...so easier to use in the car at nite....:biggrin:
I am using those mini netbooks with my hondata.. with a DC/AC converter, no worries of battery ever finishing.

If anyone wants the display template for 800x480 res, hit me up.

The newer netbooks runs at 1280x800, but I don't have the display template for that.. yet.

Illuminated keyboard is easy to make. the DIY stuff already there. neon strips :P

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
According to the K20A.Org web site, the american's claim that there are no quality base maps for the AEM EMS in terms of the K-series engine yet, but the B-series seems to be readily available.

But it seems that nobody in malaysia is bringing in the AEM EMS???

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
I am using those mini netbooks with my hondata.. with a DC/AC converter, no worries of battery ever finishing.

If anyone wants the display template for 800x480 res, hit me up.

The newer netbooks runs at 1280x800, but I don't have the display template for that.. yet.

Illuminated keyboard is easy to make. the DIY stuff already there. neon strips :P
neon strip....ya lah....why didn't i think about that....:banghead: :biggrin:.....

eh u use the converter plug in to the cigarette lighter or wire tap directy fr battery?....