Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
His is RM2k, plus welding GB and sub frame become RM2.7k already, and that is minus top overhaul and parts
haha. dang. usually RM2k inclusive of locking and subframe. kena hit hard dy for a 4wd gb. might as well buy gti F5M222 gearbox. for 2.7k actually can get mivec gearbox dy.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
haha. dang. usually RM2k inclusive of locking and subframe. kena hit hard dy for a 4wd gb. might as well buy gti F5M222 gearbox. for 2.7k actually can get mivec gearbox dy.
But his is complete half cut woh, need to work from there.....:driver:

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Ok lah. My mech charge 1.5k too labor fee.
Parts we pay lah...sakit
Those necessary must replace parts as stated by sifu here pls change.
Agreed. Wear and tear have to go. Currently standing by 1.5k for just timing belts, fluids, etc.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
top overhaul is best coz they will change all the seals and head gasket. while you're at it, upgrade those valves to oversize one. ARP studs i best coz in the future when u wanna up the boost, no need to change the studs anymore.

that upah is ok for the GB 2WD lock. what's the need to work on the subframe ya? it's plug and play if u use back the subframe from the GSR halfcut.
Just checked with my foreman. Seals and head gasket are going to be changed to new ones, together with inputting the ARP studs. Still pondering what metal gasket is out there and what thickness would suit an 4-speed auto GSR for drivability. 0.7-1.0? Lower end torque is key for automatic transmission, as that’s the common powerband that I’m in for casual drive. Any idea?

The work needed for the subframe is to mount it to my wira, as my foreman is handing it to someone else (another SME) so that it’s done cleanly. That’s what i understood

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Auto bro, auto. No third pedal and stick shift hahahaha.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
It seems like my halfcut has the stock BOV from factory, and has a original apexi twin chamber bov in the glove box, which is mine for free as said by my foreman. I need advice, would an automatic gsr be able to use such BOV without reliability issues? My reservations are on engine stalling and turbo stall.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
My foreman is recommending metal gasket 2.0 thickness. Wouldnt this lower my compression too much? I’m afraid my low end torque suffers so bad, i hate to drive it later

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Just checked with my foreman. Seals and head gasket are going to be changed to new ones, together with inputting the ARP studs. Still pondering what metal gasket is out there and what thickness would suit an 4-speed auto GSR for drivability. 0.7-1.0? Lower end torque is key for automatic transmission, as that’s the common powerband that I’m in for casual drive. Any idea?

The work needed for the subframe is to mount it to my wira, as my foreman is handing it to someone else (another SME) so that it’s done cleanly. That’s what i understood
to answer your compression other question, if you're using the stock TD04, u have nothing to worry about. that turbo starts spooling at 2.2k rpm and goes out of breath at around 6.5k rpm if i'm not mistaken. thicker head gasket means u can boost higher. higher boost equals more torque. and there's no problem using aftermarket BOV with 'auto' transmission. :driver:

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
auto u dont need to weld laa. just remove the transfer case ok dy. instant 2wd mode. i got my gb for 2k including subframe and crossmember. 93 gsr gearbox also.
To remove transfer case, do we still need rm450 for workmanship? Or the rm450 workmanship is likely for welding gbox only? My foreman indicate to lock 2wd, need rm450. Is it legit? Hmmmmm

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
to answer your compression other question, if you're using the stock TD04, u have nothing to worry about. that turbo starts spooling at 2.2k rpm and goes out of breath at around 6.5k rpm if i'm not mistaken. thicker head gasket means u can boost higher. higher boost equals more torque. and there's no problem using aftermarket BOV with 'auto' transmission. :driver:
Alright! Seems like thicker head gasket helps prolong engine lifespan and provide me with open options to boost slightly higher (if i did so). Though, what would be considered safe? Stock is 0.6 as I’ve seen through the pile of forum discussions, and mostly recommend 0.8 to 1.0. But for an auto gsr, would raising it a little hurt the gbox/engine in any serious manner?

Besides the sound generated by BOV (cosmetics purpose), what are the key usage of BOVs/DVs? I understood from physics that it would help to remove excessive air when the throttle valve is closed shut due to closed throttle application, in order to avoid the said air to route back to my turbo snail and cause my turbo to stall / exert excessive stress to my turbo bearing/fins. But other than that, there are no other key usages any further, right?

I was wondering also, if stock BOV makes no sound and routes the air back to the throttle body, would modifying it to vent-out BOVs pose potential turbo air/fuel leakage? It would right? In principle?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
To remove transfer case, do we still need rm450 for workmanship? Or the rm450 workmanship is likely for welding gbox only? My foreman indicate to lock 2wd, need rm450. Is it legit? Hmmmmm
u need to ask your mech in details. my mech didnt charge me. i got my autobox for 2.2k inclusive of the subframe and crossmember all in. the guy who sells the halfcut was a friend of my mech so mech go take pick and choose gb from him, bring back to workshop, and swap all in.

Alright! Seems like thicker head gasket helps prolong engine lifespan and provide me with open options to boost slightly higher (if i did so). Though, what would be considered safe? Stock is 0.6 as I’ve seen through the pile of forum discussions, and mostly recommend 0.8 to 1.0. But for an auto gsr, would raising it a little hurt the gbox/engine in any serious manner?

Besides the sound generated by BOV (cosmetics purpose), what are the key usage of BOVs/DVs? I understood from physics that it would help to remove excessive air when the throttle valve is closed shut due to closed throttle application, in order to avoid the said air to route back to my turbo snail and cause my turbo to stall / exert excessive stress to my turbo bearing/fins. But other than that, there are no other key usages any further, right?

I was wondering also, if stock BOV makes no sound and routes the air back to the throttle body, would modifying it to vent-out BOVs pose potential turbo air/fuel leakage? It would right? In principle?
the gsr autobox is rated for 26kgm or torque. unless you're making 35-40kgm of torque, i would suggest u go get an autobox from a turbo RVR or galant vr4. those are 2.0 gearbox compared to 4g93T 1.8, so the rated torque is higher. all these depends on what your target output is. do you have any?

what's your BOV again? you need to research about BOV and what it's function is. also, all these depends on your target power, how much boost you're looking at. you dont really need a BOV for 0.6-0.8 bar of boost. but it's good to have one. no harm done.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
u need to ask your mech in details. my mech didnt charge me. i got my autobox for 2.2k inclusive of the subframe and crossmember all in. the guy who sells the halfcut was a friend of my mech so mech go take pick and choose gb from him, bring back to workshop, and swap all in.

the gsr autobox is rated for 26kgm or torque. unless you're making 35-40kgm of torque, i would suggest u go get an autobox from a turbo RVR or galant vr4. those are 2.0 gearbox compared to 4g93T 1.8, so the rated torque is higher. all these depends on what your target output is. do you have any?

what's your BOV again? you need to research about BOV and what it's function is. also, all these depends on your target power, how much boost you're looking at. you dont really need a BOV for 0.6-0.8 bar of boost. but it's good to have one. no harm done.
The GSR autobox is rated for 26kgm? It would be roughly 255nm. Gsr is rated at 270nm on crank (by paper). In this case, it would reduce my gearbox lifespan drastically if i uprate my boost with the gsr autobox, am i correct? I’m looking to run stock for a few months first, then maybe uprate the boost pressure to 0.8 or 1.0 bar, but nothing more than 1.0. Would the autobox lifespan be moderate if i boost it daily on 0.8 bar? Also, if we’re looking at whp, I’m looking at 200 whp on auto tranny. Unsure if 200 whp would blow the box and require an autobox swap from turbo RVR or VR4 autobox.

My BOV is Apexi Twin Chamber Bov. I’ll be below 1.0 bar for sure, thus BOV is not really a necessity. Though, i want to change to the said BOV as i got it for free (japan halfcut) to have a feel of BOV. Again, 200whp. In this case, would i need additional of changing/adding wastegate? I somehow understood from forums that low boost/low power usage = bigger wastegate, while high boost/low power usage = smaller wastegate. Would i need an aftermarket wastegate? Do advise at your level best, and thanks alot man! Once my car done, let me get you a ride and go for a drink. Vr2turbo and rest as well, drinks on me if you would like to (no alcohol, tea or coffee only hahahaah)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My BOV is Apexi Twin Chamber Bov. I’ll be below 1.0 bar for sure, thus BOV is not really a necessity. Though, i want to change to the said BOV as i got it for free (japan halfcut) to have a feel of BOV. Again, 200whp. In this case, would i need additional of changing/adding wastegate? I somehow understood from forums that low boost/low power usage = bigger wastegate, while high boost/low power usage = smaller wastegate. Would i need an aftermarket wastegate? Do advise at your level best, and thanks alot man! Once my car done, let me get you a ride and go for a drink. Vr2turbo and rest as well, drinks on me if you would like to (no alcohol, tea or coffee only hahahaah)
I have a 4G63T and my mechanic got for me a BOV also. For me, BOV shiok sendiri only to hear the psst sound. Without the BOV the pressure is release back into the exhaust system so is quiet....hahhaha
As for the wastegate, it follows your boost. If boost is set at 0.6 then any thing higher, the wastegate releases. My vacuum hose came off one time and was wondering why the boost was going pass 1......lol

Reactions: sanekit

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
A gearbox biggest enemy is the twisting force aka torque. That is why some new car with small turbo engine already comes with dedicated atf cooler as the torque figure is high and in some cases just about 20Nm from the GB limit like the previous Pug508.

In layman term...imagine u are punching someone. The damage (pain) is done when your fist comes into contact with the victim's face as its stationary or not moving at the same speed as your fist. Once u follow thru with your swing, not much damage is done unless the person resist the movement;
Your fist = engine torque
Victim face = gearbox
Follow thru punch = HP

Imagine u are punching the victim multiple time...U will never know on which punch the victim will fall down or broke a jaw or broke a teeth or fainted or die.

HP is not much of a concern as its for going faster and faster.