Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Want 2 modified my dad's toyota unser 1.8gli

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Just like Izso, I've driven the Unser during my study time not fully mine just drove it to deliver things around. I have driven both model the 1st Gen and the facelifted one but both in Manual only. The gear throw is damn long..like driving lorry...Hahahaha

To say the Unser is underpower well its only half true la. The car is torqueky thanks to its tall gear ratio. For hauling purpose as it was widely used as delivery vans and passenger van.

The 3K engine is a very old school type they just converted it to EFI. 8 valve and any workshop knows how to repair it.

Just do an overhaul on the engine and if can swap in a MT. It's definitely better than the AT. For those guys over in Sabah convert to Diesel because they want more torque.

later u will see Vr2turbo's son posting in zth.

"can AR70 turbine fit into my dad's Galant VR4?"

ahahaha....u never know...

hahahahahahaahha....:rofl::rofl: I like this, but then my son have never been interested in automotive.
However you might see my daughter posting that question.......:driver::driver:

hahahahahahaahha....:rofl::rofl: I like this, but then my son have never been interested in automotive.

Lol, opposite already. Son not interested in cars but the daughter is. :biggrin:

Thanks u all.....now I think study n help my father to find the engine tat u guys suggested...I hope tat u all can gives comment when im posting new threads...

Thank you,

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Hehe my dad own an old ke30 can drift with stock 4k engine hahh?
Except he change it to 4age kan?
Then faster than his unser

later u will see Vr2turbo's son posting in zth.

"can AR70 turbine fit into my dad's Galant VR4?"

ahahaha....u never know...

Dude, you obviously have not met his family. The daughter we all treat as sifu guru besar ok! Father is tayarking. She is his right-hand-man!

Thanks u all.....now I think study n help my father to find the engine tat u guys suggested...I hope tat u all can gives comment when im posting new threads...

Thank you,

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Dude, I used to be in the same situation as you. Large family, Toyota Unser and lack of power. The Unser was 9 years old going to 10 and had never been serviced before (other than belt and oil changes) and it was an auto. I modified a few things (like the fan suggestion I told you earlier.. makes a huge difference) and did a top overhaul with a slight skim job and hey presto the Unser suddenly had new found life. But the suspension was so wobbly so the absorbers and springs had to be changed. Then the brakes - jeez. Swapped out all the brake hoses, changed Ferodo zero pads (which was extremely rare!) bleeded and changed the oil. Acceptable braking after that.

If you up the power for the car - be prepared to spend a lot of money upping the handling and braking because a car with that much more power without handling will be a boat on wheels, ie - hard to stop and downright dangerous.

That diesel engine swap is a good idea but that's way too much torque for stock suspension and braking. And I don't believe it's a direct swap. A look at the layout on Google, I think the engine mounts will need to be modified and I suspect you'll have a hard time approving that at JPJ.

Oh btw, if you ever decide to scrap the Unser, install that auto engine into the KE30 and flyyyyyyyyyyy

dun ar....with SF aka buaya king around its dangerous....haha :biggrin:

dun ar....with SF aka buaya king around its dangerous....haha :biggrin:

Bugger tiba-tiba put me on table :rofl:
Already met his daughter la bro. His daughter is really sifu or all sifu man. Felt embarrass that
a girl actually knows more than me man...

Her future husband would be very lucky haha! Cuz she knows cars well.

Already met his daughter la bro. His daughter is really sifu or all sifu man. Felt embarrass that

yeah lucky...wife is knowledgable bout cars, father in-law is tayarking, summore drive VR4....:adore:

yeah lucky...wife is knowledgable bout cars, father in-law is tayarking, summore drive VR4....:adore:

Ya get a good wife and get a great legend as father in law...how perfect. But then you still
can't get to choose the car you want since she knows a lot. She gets to decide to :rofl:

But pros is that it will still be a performance car even though she has the say instead :laugh:
Cons, you can't hide any modifications from her. She will know. :biggrin:

Thank you,

Ke30, can drift with the stock 4K. you just need to weld the rear diff and pray it rains and an empty land. Since the car is low in power you gonna have to do lots of clutch kicking and keep the revs up. It was fun and that was my 1st time.

For the Unser no need waste time go find engine to change, stick with the 3K, just do some tune ups like overhaul, the fan thing (Izso mentioned). You open up the engine and you will see how big is that fan shroud and the fan is belt driven one with a magnetic clutch.

You so well known for that, that is why kena put on table loh.....hahahahaha:biggrin:

She still need more experience......:driver:

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Ke30, can drift with the stock 4K. you just need to weld the rear diff and pray it rains and an empty land. Since the car is low in power you gonna have to do lots of clutch kicking and keep the revs up. It was fun and that was my 1st time.

For the Unser no need waste time go find engine to change, stick with the 3K, just do some tune ups like overhaul, the fan thing (Izso mentioned). You open up the engine and you will see how big is that fan shroud and the fan is belt driven one with a magnetic clutch.

Put nearly bald tyres in the rears, sure drift.......:biggrin:

You so well known for that, that is why kena put on table loh.....hahahahaha:biggrin:

She still need more experience......:driver:

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Put nearly bald tyres in the rears, sure drift.......:biggrin:

Use silverstone or sime tyres :rofl:

Front AD08 rear Silverstone

Don't even bother putting a turbo into a unser, what r you gonna do with a turbo in an unser anyway.Race VTEC's? just overhaul and do service and put in minor mods.

cynicism aside... the toyota unser in indonesia (kijang) does offer 2.4 diesel engine

As per bro TitanRev said, is it legal to convert it to the same diesel engine as the kijang

FYI ... 1.8l + 30% = 2.34l

or.... convert to the more recent hilux engine perhaps (the non-intercooled ones)

cynicism aside... the toyota unser in indonesia (kijang) does offer 2.4 diesel engine

As per bro TitanRev said, is it legal to convert it to the same diesel engine as the kijang

FYI ... 1.8l + 30% = 2.34l

or.... convert to the more recent hilux engine perhaps (the non-intercooled ones)

Probably overhauling the engine is a better decision since many have suggested that. If the TS is changing the engine into a 2.4 litre engine, then the road tax would increase as well. Quite a big difference in price compared to the roadtax in the original engine.

First of all, are you paying for this or is your dad? Or are you just hypothesizing the whole thing?

Personally I used to own a Unser and it's not slow by any means. Just old and worn. A full overhaul and service will bring back a lot of torque that engine has. Removing the front fan motor and fan and replacing it with a electric fan will bring out some grunt too. And instead of upgrading power, do something about that horrendous brakes. And lighten the car load. The car weight is madness so much so the inertia from an Unser going at 60km/h and emergency braking is enough to break tyre traction and skid about 5ft

hi bro, yes i drive a unser(not mine but my dad) to college evryday and my unser has done the same mod that bro stated earlier...no any significant grows but throttle response is faster...

it might be big difference between AT n MT as well...my unser is AT and the top speed i achived is only 130km/h but my dad's(yes he drive unser to work as well but with Manual box) able to hit 150km/h...

personally i think unser is just a vehicle to travel from a to b...not to speed (130km/h is faster thn my bmx anyway :rock::laugh:)

Don't even bother putting a turbo into a unser, what r you gonna do with a turbo in an unser anyway.Race VTEC's? just overhaul and do service and put in minor mods.

Aisay. People mod their cars to feel good when driving it. Not to race mah. Not me anyway. Incidentally, if you hang around Cheras enough, you'll come across a turbocharged Unser terrorizing Jln Cheras around 5am to 6am every weekday. The bloody Unser looks so stock except it can overtake you in an instant and that blow off is the only dead giveaway. Scary ass Unser I tell you. I have no idea how he can control the car though. Leaf springs, cruddy brakes, heavy body.. it's suicide to put that much speed in a car like that.

hi bro, yes i drive a unser(not mine but my dad) to college evryday and my unser has done the same mod that bro stated earlier...no any significant grows but throttle response is faster...

it might be big difference between AT n MT as well...my unser is AT and the top speed i achived is only 130km/h but my dad's(yes he drive unser to work as well but with Manual box) able to hit 150km/h...

personally i think unser is just a vehicle to travel from a to b...not to speed (130km/h is faster thn my bmx anyway :rock::laugh:)

Dude, there's something wrong with your Unser if 130 is the fastest you can go. I've hit 150 in my auto Unser on the highway before. In fact I think I touched 160 before my balls shrunk to the size of peanuts.

Top Bottom