VTEC RON95 Myth

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Unsacred8002

Known Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cat City
Hello fellow Hondarian.

Since d price hike of RON97 is never showing any sign of goin down, i have a few question to be cleared.

There's a few said and myth by urbanlegend saying that RON95 is harmful & hazardous to B-Series car. Words that i heared was:

1) RON95 boleh pakai, but cannot run until VTEC on. Nanti rosak VTEC oo.

2) RON95 gives B-Series Knocking.

3)RON95 makes ur B-Series kluar asap putih in a long run.

4)RON95 only to be used in normal engine, not a hi-perf engine like B-Series.

5)RON95 boleh pakai, but must be used together with Octane Booster from reputable brand i.e Liqui Molly.

Now, since all the storytelling gettin spread in my area, can anybody clear or answer this up based on their experience using RON95 daily with their B-Series engine? Im running a standard-gaban B16A, fuelling RON95, daily-driven 60-70km/h run (Good Guy Mode), sometimes also Prrannngg here & there, and so far i found no problem on my B16A, not even an asap putih from my exhaust (Hopefully it stays good). Sometime i switch to RON97 if wallet full. So, anyone can share their opinions on this? Is it true RON95 are harmful to B-Series?:nurse:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The myth is a load of bullshit.

If your B-series engine hasn't been modified to run high compression then RON92 can be used too. Just that your output power probably won't be as good as RON95/97.

The only Honda that can't use RON95 is the Type-R and that's because it's a high compression engine. Other Hondas (assuming stock) are normal compression engines which work fine with RON95. Just a matter of whether your ignition timing will compensate for the earlier burning or not. If not, you'll need to manually adjust it.

Unsacred8002

Known Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cat City
Hello fellow Hondarian.

Since d price hike of RON97 is never showing any sign of goin down, i have a few question to be cleared.

There's a few said and myth by urbanlegend saying that RON95 is harmful & hazardous to B-Series car. Words that i heared was:

1) RON95 boleh pakai, but cannot run until VTEC on. Nanti rosak VTEC oo.

2) RON95 gives B-Series Knocking.

3)RON95 makes ur B-Series kluar asap putih in a long run.

4)RON95 only to be used in normal engine, not a hi-perf engine like B-Series.

5)RON95 boleh pakai, but must be used together with Octane Booster from reputable brand i.e Liqui Molly.

Now, since all the storytelling gettin spread in my area, can anybody clear or answer this up based on their experience using RON95 daily with their B-Series engine? Im running a standard-gaban B16A, fuelling RON95, daily-driven 60-70km/h run (Good Guy Mode), sometimes also Prrannngg here & there, and so far i found no problem on my B16A, not even an asap putih from my exhaust (Hopefully it stays good). Sometime i switch to RON97 if wallet full. So, anyone can share their opinions on this? Is it true RON95 are harmful to B-Series?:nurse:
The myth is a load of bullshit.

If your B-series engine hasn't been modified to run high compression then RON92 can be used too. Just that your output power probably won't be as good as RON95/97.

The only Honda that can't use RON95 is the Type-R and that's because it's a high compression engine. Other Hondas (assuming stock) are normal compression engines which work fine with RON95. Just a matter of whether your ignition timing will compensate for the earlier burning or not. If not, you'll need to manually adjust it.
Ya.. Its true what u said. Cuz my fren who said the point no.1 runs Civic EG8 with B16B, fairly modded with IM+TB, AFR, headers/exh, management. The one who say point no.2 & 4 runs Accord CA5 with B18CR. I said to em, i have no prob running my stock B16A with RON95, some more when i rush in VTEC mode, the power is der, the pull is der, even not comparable to wat i feel in RON97. They told me, in Japanese Honda Factbook, B Series are required to run Premium Unleaded Gasoline, which they told me the lowest is RON97, the next is RON99 and RON100. I tole 'em have no idea about this since i never been or lived in Japan. They told me, just wait and see until ur engine knock if continue on RON95. Today also pricehike again :banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Ya.. Its true what u said. Cuz my fren who said the point no.1 runs Civic EG8 with B16B, fairly modded with IM+TB, AFR, headers/exh, management. The one who say point no.2 & 4 runs Accord CA5 with B18CR. I said to em, i have no prob running my stock B16A with RON95, some more when i rush in VTEC mode, the power is der, the pull is der, even not comparable to wat i feel in RON97. They told me, in Japanese Honda Factbook, B Series are required to run Premium Unleaded Gasoline, which they told me the lowest is RON97, the next is RON99 and RON100. I tole 'em have no idea about this since i never been or lived in Japan. They told me, just wait and see until ur engine knock if continue on RON95. Today also pricehike again :banghead:
definately what in manual book says is correct...to achieve the exact power like the factory claim 1e:185bhp on flywheel for b16....

with ron92 or lower the knock sensor detect the pre-ignition a.k.a knocking and thus retard the ignition to compensate..hence the engine making lower power...

but no worries because it is still a healthy engine for normal use atleast....

for high performance chaser like race/trackday for sure u want the best out of our engine...thus pumping the premium fuel like recommended in manual book for optimum performance rite?

but sometimes even the ecu can compensate knocking....it has its own limit....beyond those limit (especially in modified engine) hence people says some engine cannot use ron95.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Very easy. Check your car manual book or any Honda or third party source (not rumors). It should states whether the engine is compatible with RON95 or not. You can tell if ur car has problem running on 95 e.g. Knocking sound either at low or high rev. That's the very first thing an engine would encounter if it is not compatible with 95. Then from there only it would causes other problems to surface like a chain reaction.

Unsacred8002

Known Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cat City
Ok.. But the question is, is RON95 suitable or not running on B16A?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Honda engines are everywhere in the USA. And you know what? Their "Premium unleaded" is RON95 only. They don't use anything higher over there.

:P

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Ok.. But the question is, is RON95 suitable or not running on B16A?
I'm not familiar with the Honda engine codes. All I can tel you is the current Civic type-R can't use RON95. That's a K20A right? Having said that it also depends on how your engine is setup. You could be a normal compression B16A and that'll work with RON95.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
pm xtremeleo. he tuned a non-stock monster b16a to run on ron95.
a stock standard b16a should not have any problems JUST from running ron95. if u hear knocking at high rpm, just retard the timing a bit as the optimum fuel is still ron97.

of course if you want the max power from yr b16a, u gotta go ron97 as bseries are hi-comp engines and need knock resistant fuel. xtremeleo will disagree cos as i said, he got a monster b16a running on ron95 without any problems. no knocking at all. but then he's a sifu amongst us. :adore:

does that answer yr question?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Any engine can be tune to compensate Ron95, Ron95 actually not as bad as u think, can run high boost too. 1 thing i'm confuse is how Ron95 will make Vtec rosak...? haha... Vtec system has never fail since its debut, on record.

romen_

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
kl
The thought of spending money (emanage blue + tuning to allow safe Ron95 usage) to save money (at the petrol pump) scares the TS :D

Unsacred8002

Known Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cat City
Any engine can be tune to compensate Ron95, Ron95 actually not as bad as u think, can run high boost too. 1 thing i'm confuse is how Ron95 will make Vtec rosak...? haha... Vtec system has never fail since its debut, on record.
Hahaha. Ya.. 1 good point.. Cuz i watched it in Top Gear review on VTEC systemc itself. This statement have to be understood clearly. VTEC system never fail. But the engine itself can fail i.e Piston Ring hancur, Cam Gear hancur. But those hydraulic pin that rocks the VTEC never fail, unless there are other factor that makes VTEC never engaged i.e VSS rosak, Solenoid rosak. About my engine, i stated it clearly, its a standard-gaban B16A. With B18CR headers, RS-R piping with RS-R Magic muffler(Recently changed from 5Zigen Firball), K&N Open Pod. No other high-lifting camshaft, titanium retainers or hi-comp piston. Everythin else stock. N i will continue using RON95 as for now. :biggrin:

andysky5

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Jul 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, my advice just add Lucas Octane Booster....cheaper than pump 97 and can solve your knocking problem :D

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i think the keyword here is "tuning"...have your car tune correctly...then it should be fine to run on ron 95...

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
I've heard that lower RON 'can' give better power...in case which the spark timing is already at its advance limit..
Logically higher RON have more additives rather than the oil itself. Thus lower energy overall..
It's only the to prevent knocking/detonation...

Many people wouldn't agree this... :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've heard that lower RON 'can' give better power...in case which the spark timing is already at its advance limit..
Logically higher RON have more additives rather than the oil itself. Thus lower energy overall..
It's only the to prevent knocking/detonation...

Many people wouldn't agree this... :biggrin:
Dude - please start a new thread for this. I would really want to hear what it is you have to say about this.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sure,if d ignition timing remains d same,and its not pinging,ron 95 may be able to produce more power. higher ron have a higher resistance to preignition,hence u r able to further advance the ignition timing,which is key to produce more power. simply,higher ron allows u to tune d igniton timing more aggressively to produce more power

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
sure,if d ignition timing remains d same,and its not pinging,ron 95 may be able to produce more power. higher ron have a higher resistance to preignition,hence u r able to further advance the ignition timing,which is key to produce more power. simply,higher ron allows u to tune d igniton timing more aggressively to produce more power
^
|
This! :adore:

I read it from here..
The influence of RON on engine performance

The question is, how far can this ignition timing advance go...im speaking for engines originally tuned for RON91..or even RON95..
can it take advantage when using RON97 or RON99 or RON104?
How far can this timing advance go...anyone test? got proof?

p/s: really need to open new thread to discuss this? lets see how the discussion go 1st..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

"Proton spent RM4.3 billion over the past four years to come up with cars like the Gen.2 and Waja as well as the Campro engine."

This includes development cost for the campro engine. do you have a breakdown?

lets look at some more recent news:=
MALAYSIAN MOTOR TRADER NEWS - FIRST LOOKS - Proton Persona

With the bulk of development costs – usually on the platform and engine – having been spent many...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience