Wira absorber

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
What will be your recommendation? Increase the budget to get a performance oriented abs?:wavey:

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Performance ones are those coil overs type.......
Yeah bro, i know that..i was asking so cause 'ken yeang' mentioned that Monroe absorbers are not exactly a performance absorber and are just as a replacement. Since he mentioned that, i just wanted to know his point of view on getting a performance kind of absorbers. But i feel that my budget isnt enough on getting the coilovers, and better use the replacement abs with some thicker ARB's. Btw, thank you very much. :hello:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think the reflex are slightly more performance as Monroe also have OE replacement shocks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Let's put it this way : Monroe's aren't performance absorbers. But they are slightly better than the local Kayaba originals and last longer. So comfort isn't overly affected.

Performance absorbers would already be out of your budget, such as Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, etc. Forget about APM Performax, too short stroke and paired with the APM Performax springs it'll be way too low. Until every speedbump will make you slow down like a tortoise mating with a snail.

Performance coilovers best to save up for high/low/soft/hard. Just High/low is a big compromise since you're a cornering kaki. Also h/L has too little adjustments and you'll end up depending heavily on the tyres and adapting to the suspension (instead of the suspension complementing your skill).

Besides, for Wiras that old, too stiff will make everything rattle inside the cabin really badly. It'll take forever to find all the sources of the rattles and squeaks.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
There is a possibility you saved up all hard earned money, gotten what you want and install once go for a run. It feel sucks, within months dismantle for sell and start hunting for a different set.

For i always do not recommend through brand based, seek what is the type of suspension feedback you want from riding through others car. Thus decide based on that criteria.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
TS, do ask around for more opinion. Take your time, while at it, save enuf money. Then splurge ALL your hard-earn money :rock:to a set of absorber/spring that really satisfying. Not cheapo/low quality setup that often regretful.

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Let's put it this way : Monroe's aren't performance absorbers. But they are slightly better than the local Kayaba originals and last longer. So comfort isn't overly affected.

Performance absorbers would already be out of your budget, such as Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, etc. Forget about APM Performax, too short stroke and paired with the APM Performax springs it'll be way too low. Until every speedbump will make you slow down like a tortoise mating with a snail.

Performance coilovers best to save up for high/low/soft/hard. Just High/low is a big compromise since you're a cornering kaki. Also h/L has too little adjustments and you'll end up depending heavily on the tyres and adapting to the suspension (instead of the suspension complementing your skill).

Besides, for Wiras that old, too stiff will make everything rattle inside the cabin really badly. It'll take forever to find all the sources of the rattles and squeaks.
How much roughly would a performance coilovers which is high/low/soft/hard would cost? n maybe the absorber model?cause i might survey about it..guess the entry level of h/l/s/h coilovers would do..n i will try to save more money..n im starting to get confused again now.. :confused: :

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

TS, do ask around for more opinion. Take your time, while at it, save enuf money. Then splurge ALL your hard-earn money :rock:to a set of absorber/spring that really satisfying. Not cheapo/low quality setup that often regretful.
Sure bro..worth to save more money and getting something which is satisfying... :driver:

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

There is a possibility you saved up all hard earned money, gotten what you want and install once go for a run. It feel sucks, within months dismantle for sell and start hunting for a different set.

For i always do not recommend through brand based, seek what is the type of suspension feedback you want from riding through others car. Thus decide based on that criteria.
The prob is none of my friend or family members use different type of suspension..They just stay with the stock abs that arrived with the car..i never seen them changing it before..

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The prob is none of my friend or family members use different type of suspension..They just stay with the stock abs that arrived with the car..i never seen them changing it before..
Normal every day drive sure use back Original specs loh, only those modding their car, go touge, take fast corner only will upgrade.....:biggrin:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
That my friend is what i call social skill, it can't be taught over night. Seemingly you need to switch channel in for knowing new friends.

Recalled when i was just a fresh graduate, with my first car, all my friends are back in Sabah. Nowadays i even get stalked by going around.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Don't forget to get good performance tyres as well. I changed suspension to RS One Mine's hilo body shift with my 1 year old falken ze912 size 195/50r15. The ride was quite bumpy and sometimes can feel the car like flying a bit at high speed. Upgraded the tyres to bridgestone potenza re003 195/55r15 and now the car sticks like glue and response very very well. When driving over those speed bump (breaker?) no more bumpiness.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That my friend is what i call social skill, it can't be taught over night. Seemingly you need to switch channel in for knowing new friends.

Recalled when i was just a fresh graduate, with my first car, all my friends are back in Sabah. Nowadays i even get stalked by going around.
Wah! you getting stalked.....hope are girls......lol:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Don't forget to get good performance tyres as well. I changed suspension to RS One Mine's hilo body shift with my 1 year old falken ze912 size 195/50r15. The ride was quite bumpy and sometimes can feel the car like flying a bit at high speed. Upgraded the tyres to bridgestone potenza re003 195/55r15 and now the car sticks like glue and response very very well. When driving over those speed bump (breaker?) no more bumpiness.
From Mid to UHP tyres, sure stick loh :driver:.....hhahahhaha:biggrin:

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Normal every day drive sure use back Original specs loh, only those modding their car, go touge, take fast corner only will upgrade.....:biggrin:
Guess so.... :thrasher:

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Sure... :driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
No need confuse la.

Adjustable suspension has 2 types. Hi/lo and Hi/lo/soft/hard. Generally these days both types of suspension have body shift. The H/L/S/H type I keep talking about is usually 3k and above brand new. HWL might be cheaper. Ohlins for example will cost 13k brand new. AR Racing/BC Racing about 3.3k. HWL I've seen them sell at 2.8K.

Performance absorbers (just absorbers no springs) are like APM Performax, Koni FSD, Bilsteins etc. The price varies.

Custom suspension like those made by PRS, Ftuned, RDS, they take your original suspension and modify it with their own secret recipe to give you the performance you request for. I can only quote you PRS prices because I went to them and it's RM150 per absorber for initial modification. Afterwards it'll be RM100 a piece since the infrastructure would already be there. I don't know how much Ftuned and RDS charge. PRS has their own version of coilovers too, last i saw it was 2.6k for a Honda Jazz.

So no need confuse la.

Personally if I were in your shoes and having owned a Wira A/B SE, I would go with Wira SE suspension (I'm actually not sure if Monroe makes absorbers for the SE, if they give you the 1.6/1.8 one it might be overly low in the front since the spring cup is lower compared to Wira SE absorbers) and with super stiff antiroll bars. In all the suspension mods I did, the antiroll bars were the ones that helped me the most. Then the side bars, room bar and front tower strut bar. Rear tower strut ok la, not really necessary and fender bars not so much feel. Avoid the rear upper bar at all costs - will make the car super over-steery. You won't like that.

Yeah. Jom TT then we can poison you some more. :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Conventional petrol and diesel cars are beginning to outpace Toyota’s Prius on environmental friendliness claims a new study carried out by researchers at Cardiff University along with Clifford Thames, an automotive consultancy.

The iconic hybrid car is still the cleanest for its size, but is outranked by nine smaller models from Peugeot, Citroën, Ford, Smart and other manufacturers in a new environmental...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience