e819

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2004
can show me pic ar bro?? cant find la.. 2 many topic on CAI.. thanx man

gtishadowfax

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2005
that should work...

bro e819...keep it simple, but achieve the objective...

the theory is to avoid hot air from entering your combustion chamber and to channel as much cold air as possible into your engine to make it more efficient...

in simple words, if u are using an open pod filter, try to move it as far away as possible from the cylinder block/head. u can do this by attaching a ram pipe to the air sensor "mouth"...then can ask the mechanic to lift your bonnet a bit, to channel hot air out from the engine...but this will shorten your wiper's lifespan...:)

as to channel maximum amount of cold air, an important point to consider is where is the best place to mount the bellmouth (mulut of the intake...)- thus u have to find a place in front of the car(bumper)/on the bonnet, where is suitable - that will require minimum modification to install, yet giving u the most amount of cold air while the car is moving...

this can actually be achieved by placing a sensor at various places in front of the car and recording the amount of air at those spots separately, while the car is moving on the same speed, i.e 80km/j. senang cerita - kat tempat mana paling banyak airflow semasa kereta bergerak pada kelajuan yang sama....

your front grille is an example of a good place for a bellmouth, not to mention at the side of your front bumper and at those places where they install the foglight, for example look at satria gti's front bumper...and the foglight. that foglight lubang is a good place for bellmouth...

actually the best way to do this CAI is maintaining the ori air box, maybe use a k&n drop in filter element and improve the air intake by modifying/relocating the intake mouth to a spot with better air flow. the original air box is definitely a good heatshield, plus will prevent other debris from entering the throttle body...but the sound from an open pod filter is....ummm...awesome?

heheh...just my 2 cents...

e819

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2004
thanx sifu gtishadowfax n skywalker.. in just one post n 2 pics u guys made me clear as glass.. will try 2 DIY it soon.. at the moment my car s using std air box.. but i also hav open pod in hand.. will try both and see wat the diff.. n which one is better to go with.. thanx a million dude's..

gtishadowfax

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2005
no sifu la....haiya you...malu la....

hauhauahuahuahauhau....no prob...requires a lot of try and error...if u are somewhere around usj/subang, maybe we can meet and discuss...

e819

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2004
sure2... no problem .. my number 0193339110/am.. u cam pm me ur number.. if i lalu lalu around there ill call u up.. thanx man

Jul 13, 2012
Kuching/Sarawak
juz 4 thoughts laa...
a -18'C CAI would be = connect ur CAI to ur air cond inside ur car... possible ah?

otherwise take frm outside air but muncung down in case water masuk... :smokin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
ahahahaa, just remove the bonnet, confirm everything will be cool.......

Jul 13, 2012
Kuching/Sarawak
ahahahaa, just remove the bonnet, confirm everything will be cool.......
-offtopic-

dun 4get bumper n fender oso.. alang2 telanjang d car a bit.. but tutup vital parts wit plywood for safety abit (dun wan batu, sampah n such to kena enjin n to put num plat)

or can put house aircond at engine.. almost raya sure got sale...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
if on aircond, engine heavy already

then wanna suck cool air from aircon... not a good idea

better suck air from front bumper

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
dont just suck , and suck and suck.....
make sure the intake is taking cold air, not rain water....or dust, or insect or sampah sarap....

Some CAI intake are made too aggresive, until water oso go in. This is especially true in Malaysia, when it rain, it pours....

Not to mentioned, banjir kilat. A fren of mine, put CAI below the level of no. plate. Went through flood at Shah Alam......and engine died. Your guess is good as mine on what happened....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Drexchan had this intake taking air from aircon leg vent setup in his car for a while. Can't remember if he said it made a difference or not but I do recall it being bloody noisy (all that suction noise) and considering that he's still alive and breathing means the intake didn't suffocate him by sucking in all that cold air.

But I do recall him saying that it's not worth the effort to do this sorta setup with the minimal gains you get from it. His current in-the-bumper-mushroom-with-long-intake-runner setup does better and doesn't run the risk of water intake.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Browsing through forum and found this thread and found it amusing. To do such a thing (direct an engine air intake into the passenger cabin with A/C air is a waste of money and time.

Firstly, cold air intake - why is it good for combustion? Because it can contain more oxygen molecules as cold air is denser than hot air.

Secondly, properties of air - we know that air consists of O2, CO2, Nitrogen(70%+?, couldnt remember) and some inert gases. But there is situation where the concentrations are out of proportion, say, O2 being less than usual and CO2 is more. Cold air doesnt mean always have more O2..that is why and air cond system for a large and heavy populated space need fresh air intake.

Thirdly, A/C air in the passenger space - The air in your car keeps circulating when you switch on your air cond. The air inside the space is blown through a cooling coil and thus we have cold air. The air is being returned to the same fan and passes the cooling coil but at a lower temperature. Small infiltration is sufficient to provide O2 to the driver and passengers. So if you suck air into the engine from your cabin, your A/C will work harder to cool down the "new" air from outside.

So...In my humble opinion, it doesnt work, at all.

P/S: Although O2 sneaks into our car cabin, it is good to wind down the window for a short while if you are driving long distance. Oxygen keeps our body awake and refreshed. Dinosaurs can be so big because of the high oxygen level in the ancient times :rofl: