sr20det or 1jzgte??

Jul 1, 2009
which one is suitable for my mercedes 190e??
and which one is easy to transplant and maintain?

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
suitable=sr20
easy to transplant=sr20
easier to maintain=sr20

if ur gunning for max speed, then 1jz is the choice. sr20 wins in terms of engine parts availability n ease of transplant cos its 4 cylinder. if u want to install 19inch rims, heavy bodykits n still go fast, then only the torque of 1jz can haul those heavy additions.

actually u have to check whether ur crossmember is suitable to the sr20 engine design or not, in terms of oil sump placement. check out maybe other forums elsewhere. as far as i know, 1jz/2jz has the advantage here, as the engine has front or rear sump, making transplant to most vehicles easy.just change the sump. oil sump is quite a big issue cos if not ngam, u have to either custom new sump (might not be done according to proper engineered factory specs) or cut crossmember (for sure some other MAJOR surgery required as well)

dont let this happen to u bro

other than that, wiring is quite an issue too, need to find champion mechanic that can make all ur meters work. so dont ever send to mechanic that has never done these kind of conversion before but promise "boleh punya". instead, spend time talking to a few mechanics from various workshops n gauge their experience. if possible, try to check out their work n ask feedback from car owners. need to "bermasyarakat" a bit, if not u suffer alone...

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
tis one still okay .. i had seen lancruiser wid the front axle being cut off the crown casing to modified it like the picture above.... just because he know know ther is actually rear sump available....kakakakaka....

SAO 6418

Known Member
Jun 11, 2005
Ipoh
i'm also been thru tis dilemma..... finally go for 1JZ also:itsme:
Dun mistaken i'm on 1jz transplant now, b4 tat is sr20det (drive for 2 years ++) on volvo 240.
Speaking on power (everything stock wif ori 3.77 final drive) sr20det on ~1400kg chassis, totally not impressive.....
Pls consider the cost to make 300hp out of sr20det (S13 redtop) compare to 1jz-gte, then u'll realize :smokin: (unless u rich lah). Dun say stock (200hp) is enuf ... Everybody chase for power... garenti punya..:biggrin:
Part availability is also an issue, definitely 6 cylinder will cost more than 4 cylinder. eg. water pump for sr20det is 200++ while 1jz somewhere around 1700++...
SR20 oil sump ngam ngam clear volvo 240 but 1jz need to mod a bit even the rear type punya :banghead: (volvo steering rack is in-front of the cross member).

So if in merc body, i vote for 1jz anytime,
if KE70 leh then sr20det loh..:thefinger: