Some dumb questions...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
i wanna know if this approach i have in my mind is possible.

First before i start with the question, i want to know if piston for NA cars can have its compression lowered. say, originally its ratio is 11:1, can i lower it to 8.0:1?

If the answer for the question above is NO, then ignore this question below.
Kancil 847c.c. . If we divide it by 3, its 847/3= 282.3c.c per piston.
So if i use the 850c.c pistons that had its compression lowered in the 4 cyl L5 DOHC engine, the c.c would increase to 282.3*4= 1129.3c.c, is it correct? im not even sure myself.
So, is this way possible? cuz i see its kinda hard to find programmable ECUs for 3cyl engines, so im now thinking of 1l 4cyl DOHC engine.. thats with 4 low compression forged kancil 850 pistons inside.
The PowerhouseDTM L5 is just using Storia X4 pistons

but i still wanna know bout the piston thingy. Kancil 847c.c pistons compression loswered and forged, then put them in the 4Cyl of L5 engine....
if this way is possible, then can make 1.1l kcar drag machine....
YRV engine is for last.... if all the other ways kenot work then YRV is the only way.

Oh i wanna know if Mira L5 engine can use the 4WD system from Mira L2 (forgot which model already, RV4 is it?)
If L5 can use the 4WD gearbox, can it pass JPJ? have to cut and weld or just bolt on?

oh yes, is Dastek Unichip programmable?

Thanks for bearing with all my stupid and annoying questions, but im jsut trying to improve my knowledge here. i mean no harm..

I hope the taikors over here like equin0x and the rest can help...

@equin0x: how come i cant seem to join ur keiconcept.net? does the application form support Mozilla Firefox browser? i cant seem to type anything in the space provided.

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
equinox dun have time now...now have to spent more time playing taiwanese papaya la kekekeke.....uhhhhh lembutnyaaaa..nyam nyam :lol:
i'll try to answer it for u

first Q is can 850 piston be low comp. the answer is YES. by 2 method. 1 is dangerous method that is cut the upper part or 850 orginal piston and coat with ceramic. 2 is get a JE custom aluminium forged piston with same size as 850 one (bore=66.6mm if i'm not mistaken)

second Q is...ermmm not quite true. u cannot divide the CC like that. one thing u have to know is....not big piston carry big CC...becos CC is depend on 2 things.
1-bore (piston diameter) 2-stroke (piston up and down from BDC to TDC or can measure the lenght of the conrod la for conventional type kekeke)
so, putting the 850 piston into L5 4 pistons 660cc will not make it 1000cc++ and i dunno the L5 4 piston bore diameter..so can't calculate.
i assume if u put 850 piston in L5 4 pistons, it should be around 700cc++ also.

*my engine use L2 piston that is 68mm to replace stock 850 piston that is 66.6mm. this 1.4mm bore different will make sure my engine capacity increase from 847cc to 882cc. see the different ? (L2 is 660cc but bore diamater is bigger)

i dunno if L5 can use L2 gearbox..but i think it can. about 4WD system...L5 also got 4WD system that is L512 series if i'm not mistaken..why use L2 one. converting 2WD into 4WD with modifying chassis in malaysia is illegal. sure jpj wont pass

unichip is programmable but u can't tune by urself cos the controller only got with its dealer..have to take ur car there to tune la

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
thanks for ur answer.

JE got customize Oversized pistons for L5 Dohc engine?
Hmm, yea i did consider the bore and stroke factors as well, and i was thinking, maybe make the bore and stroke sizes the same for L5 engine? dunno ler.. im n00b...
somehow i like 4cyl DOHC engines better, though i think L2 enigne is still as powerful, but only 3cyl SOHC...or there are L2 4cyl DOHC versions that i dont know of :unsure:
Someone once told me that 3cyl engines are still easier to mod than 4cyl engines :unsure:
now currently, im thinking of a way to increase the cc for L5 engine to 1L++. still hunting for hints and answers.

sigh wouldnt it better if i can drive and mod a kcar now?

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
for L5 engine to reach 1litre ++? use the kenari/kelisa block and move over all the L5 turbo ancillaries to that engine. not sure bout the strength of it though.

to lower compression NA engine for turbo use, maybe can cut out a piece of copper maybe 2-3mm thick following the gasket shape and put 2 gaskets above and below it. or use 2/3/4 layers of gasket.

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
L5 to 1000cc... forget bout it. There's not enought space to in between chambers to bore. Trust me, I'm using a L5 oso. Best u can do for more power is for JE forged pistons. Make it lighter, harder & low comp. If u 1, u can order from KSP in Sunway. Will set u back bout 3K & u need a L5 piston 2 send to Australia for them to copy. For ur info, 660's pistons ar elarger than 850s.. 850's have a higher stroke. If u wan serious power, a L2 is way much easier & cheaper to mod.. If u still 1 to stick with ur L5, then up ur boost. Easiest way for power. But basically, before u start ur mod, ask urself what h/p r u targeting. Then u can budget for it.

Firefox, for ur info, L512 is mainly 2WD. 4WD variants r rare & hard to come by. Ppl usually just go for L2. Diff, of L2's & 5's gearbox r the ratios. L5's are 1 of the closest ratios of the MIRA family. If u 1 to play drag, then dump in a L5 gearbox. (Equi's next project)

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
The EF series (watercooled serial 3 cylinders)
- Volume displacement: 660cc
- Commonly fitted are a bore size of 68.0 x stroke of 60.5mm
- other varies from NA/turbo, DOHC or SOHC, 6valve or 12 valve, and their compression ratios..
- common EF series engine we can find here are the L2's EF-JL (12v SOHC Turbo) that have the lowest compression ratio (8.0:1) in the EF series family and L5 & L6's EF-RL (12v DOHC Turbo) having 2nd lowest compression ratio here (8.5:1). other than that, L7 series uses EF-DET (12v DOHC Turbo) with a compression ratio of 8.5:1

The JB series (watercooled serial 4 cylinders)
- Volume displacement: 660cc
- Commonly fitted are a bore size of 61.0mm x stroke of 56.4mm
- default all JB series are DOHC, 16v and EFI
- common JB series we can find here are L502, L512 and L602's JB-JL that have a even higher compression ratio as compared to the 3 bangers series above (8.7:1) and the newer model JB-DET from the L902 also falls to this category with a compression ratio of 8.2:1
*polyxtroy - dont boost so high! try to fit a metal gasket. you engine model compression ratio is the highest and u're running so high boost without lowering your compression ratio.. ultra dangerous..

The JC series (water cooled serial 4 cylinders)
- Volume displacement: 712cc
- Commonly fitted are a bore size of 61.0mm x stroke of 60.9, 16v DOHC, turbocharged.
- rarely found in msia - JC-DET i believe is the engine for Storia that pump 120ps from stock production setup. compression ratio for this engine is 8.0:1

above explained some facts about the most common engine u can find here from the common L2, L5, L6,L7 and L9 and extra included is the info on Storia

i dunno if we can modify a high comp piston to become a low comp one but one thing for sure is, u cannot modify the production piston to become forged. forged piston uses other alloy material and being cast out as whole based on spec (unless mass product for those high end/popular engine)

powerhouse DTM L5 uses Storia piston with the reason explain above. the JB and JC series have both the same bore size hence they can share the same piston. what makes them differ is JC's stroke is higher hence the displacement increased.

kancil 847cc piston if not mistake is 66.0mm and i dont think L5's block can be rebored 5mm to fit this piston anyway..

your calculation is absolutely wrong. L5's block unfortunately, dont have much room for improvement. each combustion chamber is located so near to each other u cant hardly rebore it much. L5 block are of aluminium and not as strong as L2's cast iron block. the most I've heard is 850cc rebored to fit the starlet low comp piston (not sure the size) which have almost increase to roughly 900cc (around there) but this had void the reliability to the max.

sorry to tell u but your 1.1litre dragster will not be achieved. if u wanted a 1.1l, go find a GTti 1.0 3cylinder DOHC turbo and rebore it to fit aftermarket pistons. or a turbocharged kenari/kelisa (still 3cylinder).. i dont see any suitable for u if u want a 1.1l 4cylinder turbo..

all i heard before is the gearbox are interchangeable between models of engine. difference are the gear ratio.. that's why polyxtroy L5 an easily get him get up to 200kmh everytime and mine's a tough luck..

as for 4wd conversion, u gotta cut almost the whole bottom rear part of your car, which is considered very illegal modification. JPJ would not be too happy about this..

Dastek Unichip is a piggyback ECU (minus the GUI) so in order to tune it, u gotta send it to Unichip tuner with the software.

does the application form support Mozilla Firefox browser? i cant seem to type anything in the space provided
heheh this one let me check it out later ya.. i'll get firefox install and test on it before i can conclude anything.. thanks for this feedback.. ;)

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
The master has spoken. Few thing's that master is incorrect (I think intentionally to put me on table)

1. I am not running high boost. I am boosting at 1.1 bar up 0.3 bar onli. Stock 0.8 bar.

2. There is no aftermarket metal gasket for L5. If 1 must go custom. Stupidly expensive.

3. My gearbox do NOT bring me up to 200kmh. It;s only fast from 0 - 140. From there on it's like snail. U can see a L2 cathching up. (Of course when it's stock la.)

Equi,

Faster come back la. 1 to try with ur car before & after the L5 gearbox.

Cheers.

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
Another thing, L5's engine can rev damn high. I touched 9.5k before (unitentioanlly) If u can mod the engine to support such high rev, then it's damn shiok man. Almost like driving rotary or a levin 20v silvertop.

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
Originally posted by polyxtroy@Dec 20 2004, 12:42
The master has spoken. Few thing's that master is incorrect (I think intentionally to put me on table)

1. I am not running high boost. I am boosting at 1.1 bar up 0.3 bar onli. Stock 0.8 bar.

2. There is no aftermarket metal gasket for L5. If 1 must go custom. Stupidly expensive.

3. My gearbox do NOT bring me up to 200kmh. It;s only fast from 0 - 140. From there on it's like snail. U can see a L2 cathching up. (Of course when it's stock la.)

Equi,

Faster come back la. 1 to try with ur car before & after the L5 gearbox.

Cheers.
ok item #1 and #3 is memang to kantoi u wan.. :lol: but #2.. there is metal gasket for your model leh...

wei polyxtroy, your L5 g/box got LSD or not?

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
1 got 1 don hv. The one with LSD i'm using. LSD not that much diff 1 la... Take the one without la. Since I oso half give half sell.. LOL Where to get the headgasket? Askedd all over tha place. Every1 say tadak..

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
head gasket? i gotta check it out for you.. will find Gary to find.. he found for me the aftermarket one also not local made... cannot confirm with u he have it but he should be able to find it

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
Thanks for the enlightenment guys... now i know more XD~
hmm so L2 would be a better engine compared to L5 in terms of "modability" and performance?
can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the engines L2, L5 and L6?
and which gearbox is better?
oh yea as for turbocharging an EJ-DE engine, the internals can be strengthened with aftermarket or customized parts right? what do u guys mean by it being not reliable?

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
this is what i gather from L2 and L5 users say.

L2 ratios : 1,2,3 got high ratio which means too much pick up but low speed, but when it comes to gear 4, it got low ratio there and speed will be higher but low pick up. that means..when u r at ur rev limit on gear 3, u change to gear 4, the rpm drop too much..and this is not good

L5 ratios : 1,2,3 got a bit high ratio that u have low pick up at first but when it comes to gear 4 and 5..u will speed up fast.

for stock VS stock..L2 ratios will be ahead first but after that L5 will catch up. 400m probably L2 win becos L2 can leave L5 behind in gear 1,2,3. this is my opinion only la ok.

but if high power L2 or L5, L2 ratios not suitable. gear 1 and 2 very2 easy to get spin...so not goot for drag. and for me even not good for street.
so, i choose L5 ratios even now currently using L2 gearbox

p/s: hey shawn..u r aleborating my answer :P

-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
So its basically, L2 engine is good, but in the long run when modded strong strong edi, better use L5 gearbox?
but i still like the L2 4WD, better traction, better handling :lol: :lol:
so, how did equin0x enjoy the taiwanese papaya? nyam nyam... :lol: :lol: :lol:

@equin0x : yeah i checked already, must be the application and log in forms dont support Mozilla Firefox, cuz they were working for my IE browser, but i refuse to switch to IE due to security reasons.

man10681

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by polyxtroy@Dec 20 2004, 13:57
1 got 1 don hv. The one with LSD i'm using. LSD not that much diff 1 la... Take the one without la. Since I oso half give half sell.. LOL Where to get the headgasket? Askedd all over tha place. Every1 say tadak..
got i metal head gasket,but will set u back at rm450 made in japan mari...

man10681

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Visit site
hey,there's 1 halfcut somewhere in kl brought in a complete car mira J turbo 4wd,4 doors with no geran,selling at rm9000,for those who want to play rally,byk syiok but the problem is no geran... <_< ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

where to get power brand timing belt?
please pm me...
how much for perdana v6 car?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience