Semi auto or manual ??

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Yeah I read bout his thread . But it's FF .. There will have some diffrent bout it

The only difference in my trek is I have locked the AWD transfer case to 2WD & remove the rear diff+driveshafts thats all. U can maintain AWD if U prefer, nothing to do with manual gearbox conversion. BUT be warned.... the trek's AWD transfer case will become the weakest link after U convert to manual, this is the 2nd most common component to fail after the autobox, the teeth on the spline that connects the rear driveshaft will break 1 by 1 after some time, also happens on stock trek.

Photo0166.jpg

What if I change to Evo transfer gear in the same time ? I wonder Evo 7 -5 speed GB and transfer gear will fit in our trek with out changing the long shaft or not . That the problem I'm thinking .. If I'm not wrong we might need to change the starter too .

What if I change to Evo transfer gear in the same time ? I wonder Evo 7 -5 speed GB and transfer gear will fit in our trek with out changing the long shaft or not . That the problem I'm thinking .. If I'm not wrong we might need to change the starter too .

Not sure bout that bro.
I'm using the Evo4 5-speed manual, Evo 4,5,6 transfer case cannot be used in trek, gotta use the trek's AWD transfer case, it's a direct fit onto the manual box. Evo7 5-speed is a good choice, it has taller gear ratio for better cruising & better FC, not sure if the Evo7 combo will fit directly onto our trek or not though. I might change to Evo7 5-speed later, after I get tired of my 5-speed short ratio....heheeehe.

Personally, the most demanding part of the auto->manual conversion for me is not the gearbox itself, it's adding the clutch pedal, modding the brake pedal, relocating the parking brake, mounting the shifter & adjusting the angle+cable, & wiring the ECU+speedometer.

Be glad to assist if U need any help ok :)

Avant bro .... you better wish me luck to mod the Manual trans in .. lol ... really need a lot of study and prepare b4 modding it ... now the Auto Gb still can run .. just can't go full throttle .. i will study well b4 i gather all the parts that i need for the Mod . Thank you very much every one.

I'm back!!...
Just want to share my latest tranny swap here.
Got my trek back after 2-weeks in the workshop.

My old faithful started puffing white smoke about 3-months back, it was getting lazy & tired after serving 247,000 plus kms on the odometer. Decided to swap out the close ratio 5-speed while overhauling the engine. Let me put it this way........... I fell in love with my trek all over again the moment I started driving it =)

The acceleration pull may not be as quick from standstill. Nonetheless, it's not slow either, it's just softer & smoother, more civilized to drive, less jerky & less responsive. But I'm enjoying it & loving it, in 5th gear, at the same rpm as the close ratio gearbox, it allows the trek to gain about 20km/h higher.

Before, was averaging 360-400km for $90 ron95 petrol, a daily work car.
Now, reached 460km for $90 ron95 petrol.

Last edited:
bro,what gb r u using now?

5-speed manual from Evo7.
Did some research, the Evo7's 5th gear has the tallest ratio among all other Evos.
The Evo8 and Evo9 has 6-speed, but both still has a shorter ratio, lower top speed.

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Did ya overhaul da motor?

Yea bro, finally changed to the Toyota high compression semi forged 1JZ pistons i had in storage. Also replaced the main bearings, conrod bearings, & thrust bearings, there were some worn-out markings, might as well do a proper overhaul & replace what's necessary.

The Toyota pistons works great!!! The higher compression pistons makes it drives a like N/A, no turbo-lag at all. Personally, I'm bit skeptical about the compression ratio I have in my 4G63T right now. The seller says it's 9:1 for these 1JZ pistons. But my mechanic friend who helped me with the overhaul did a check & told me they're 1JZ N/A pistons, not turbo pistons.

Anyway, fortunately everything fits and engine is running smooth, it even purrs like a cat when climbing the rev, definitely feels more torque-ky....=)

And due to safety reason, i've switched off the boost controller, letting the external wastegate's 0.9 bar spring pressure to manage boost.

Still running-in the overhauled engine, driving the car below 4000rpm so far.

Last edited:
Wow cool! So envious man. My trek drinks a lot lately n I'm bored with the power. Feels like selling it off.

Wow cool! So envious man. My trek drinks a lot lately n I'm bored with the power. Feels like selling it off.

Bro Stutz, i've also thought of selling of the trek at one time, but after considering how family-friendly, hidden potential, the sleeper looks our trek has.....heheee.. it's better to keep it, can't get anything close to this anymore...seriously :-)

I'm thinking more along the lines of Evo or Subbie. Trek is just too heavy that hampering the performance.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

And that lazy-ass gearbox too. I hate it.

i guess,we all also thinking of selling at some period of time.the passion,time,money dump into it n then sell it off is like divorce your current lovely wife for no reason n getting a young pretty unknown china girl...

bro stutz,got rotary no enough ar?trek can b very responsive if remove some weigh on the car(cf all the way,smaller rims n convert to 2wd.

Last edited:
look how clean their interior... yum yum... i wish my trek like this..

Attachments

• 420748286633ec2193eco.jpg
    420748286633ec2193eco.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 104
i guess,we all also thinking of selling at some period of time.the passion,time,money dump into it n then sell it off is like divorce your current lovely wife for no reason n getting a young pretty unknown china girl...

bro stutz,got rotary no enough ar?trek can b very responsive if remove some weigh on the car(cf all the way,smaller rims n convert to 2wd.

Ah Wah has 2.4L kit. So I am also considering if I sud dump into the car to make it more responsive or just change the car for good. Atr is not bad. Big cabin n user friendly. I just don't like the GB. What do u think if Mazda 3 MPS?

Rotary is my wife's car la. Cannot modify or touch it ooooo. She simply loves it. Hehehe.

2.4kit fc 100% kills for daily driver.for hatches,if u can afford mps...go for benz a class edi lo.

I see. I thought 2.4L will have better FC. Anyway, lets see next year.

A-Class not my type lo..... Too old mannish for my preference.

bro,the new a class wor.u gotta b kidding it looks old man...