Seeking Opinion on Alarm Sys

jyth_82

Sep 10, 2006
Seeking Opinion on Alarm Sys / Finding for COBRA alarm installer

Hi All,
Read quite a number of car security alarm sys in this forum alone... however, I am seeking opinions on the new car alarm sys for my estima...

First time bought re-cond car (frm Naza) and they last minute told me that there is NO alarm sys that comes with the car (lesson learnt)..

so.. they were telling me to get the Cobra Alarm system frm them (RM1360). I am contemplating now on whether to purchase it frm them or to purchase it outside. The REASON i'm contemplating here is because, they were telling me that outside installation on the Cobra Alarm Sys will "spoil"/"disturb" the ECU or the airbag/ABS system. For short, they were "advising" me to purchase and install from them.

Would like to know you guys opinion on whether is there a basis of truth on what they are saying? Does installing alarm sys will disturb any of these? Does installing alarm have to mess up with the ECU??

PS: Please advise if this is the correct thread for me to put this up? If its wrong, can the mod move to this to the correct section... thnx!

Last edited:

armeen52

Known Member
May 8, 2006
jyth_82, you know people is doing business....they sell you the vehicle and of course the salesman want to make some money out of this transaction, hence all the bullshit of ECU and Airbags story!! Furthermore first time buying re-cond car...sure kena SLAUGHTER......

My advise, just go to any reputable accessories shop and get your alarm fixed first, that's it!! For your info, even the dealers also send their cars to accessories shop to get their alarm fixed, I have been in this motorcar industry for the past 15 years as far as I know, there are no car dealers who have their OWN accessories shop!!

jyth_82

Sep 10, 2006
hmph.. thanks Armeen52

do you/anyone have happen to know if installing Alarm do really have to re-wire/solder/program/etc to the ECU? or it has NOTHING to do with it...?

If its purely bullsh*t, then I'm going just ignore that sale's person word for it..

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
jyth_82,
an advise.....; just ignore the saleman.
it wouldn't affect ur ECU. But obviously if the accesory shop u sent to isn't familiar with the wirings, than they might fry your wirings and fuses.
Look for reputable alarm installer and not normal accesory shop unless you know well that the accessory shop is familiar or expert in installing alarms.

Anyway, search around zth or ask around.
Not using radiostar alarms, but good review on their products and their installer is good.
Happy hunting!

p/s: get at least a 2-way alarm. anyway, since it's an expensive car; u might want to consider a GSM tracker, something like Captor.

jyth_82

Sep 10, 2006
Ah.. anybody knows any good Cobra Installer around in Kelana Jaya or PJ? Thought of putting cobra 3191..

does this come with Immobilizer? Yet to check it out...

sinque

Dec 8, 2005
The accessories shop where I usually go to can do the installation coz I saw him do an Estima when I was there to pickup my new car after putting in a few modules to the stock alarm. The thing is that his shop is on Jalan Kapar. Plus for him is that he is one of the the panel for Toyota and Chevy dealership where they usually send him new cars for alarm installation, tinting & etc. Not sure if I can give a number here so if its against the rules then maybe the mods can delete the phone number.

Ah Seng - 0192112013