Proton OEM accessories pricing quite ridiculous

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

FVel

500 RPM
It never fails to amaze me how Proton can actually have all the privileges and protection from the Government as this country's premier carmaker and yet they still end up with the troubles they face today.

I had been looking for some 14 inch rims for my Iswara, and so far there's not much choice for this unpopular size. Add to that, most of these aftermarket rims come with strange offsets requiring spacers.

So I thought......what the hell, I just wanted something simple and strightforward without too much tinkering issues, so I might as well get the OEM 14" sport rims Proton manufactures for the Iswara.......which are essentially JRD-made rims.

Of course everyone knows JRD are one of the least expensive rims out there.

And so today I call up Proton and inquire about a set of their OEM 14" rims. The guy at the end of the line told me he'll call me back with a price quote and when he did, my jaw bounced on the floor.

RM 330+ per piece works out to about RM1,300 for a full set.

I was so incredulous, I actually asked the Proton guy whether he was "sh*tting me " with a price like that ? The poor bugger sounded a little embarassed and somewhat apologetic, but he added he cannot do anything because they only sell according to Proton's sanctioned price list.

I told him these OEM rims are essentially JRD rims with a Proton badge slapped on it and so such a high level of mark-up is somewhat outrageous. I told him that even Enkei rims were cheaper than his OEM JRD rims. He laughed nervously and agreed but said there is nothing he can do about the pricing.

Jesus Christ almighty................

Well so much for the pride as the national car maker. More spoon-fed by government policies rather than actually standing on their own two feet. Come to think about it, getting a helping hand from the Govts is OK if they actually took advantage of the privileges to lift their game, but as it is they squandered everything away. Perodua is actually kicking their ass*s with the Myvi.

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

check out protonparts.com.my and go through the pricelist for all kinds of parts and accessories then you'll know whats ridiculous

Top Bottom