need to know about racing clutch

afiq_farami

Known Member
Mar 28, 2009
what is function racing clutch compare to standard clutch?
what about the puck?..3,4,5, and 8 pucks? meaning what?
clutch 1.8,,2.0?? meaning what?

just wanna know..hehe..:biggrin:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
from a noob's limited knowledge, racing clutch 'grips' better than a normal clutch due to a more powerful engine torque.. normal clutch on a powerful engine might not have the grip and will slip when the car is accelerated..

puck, im not sure how to explain :biggrin:

1.8, 2.0 usually is the engine CC from where the clutch is from.. some just use a bigger CC-engined clutch on their lower CC-engined car.. EX: using a clutch from a wira 1.5 to a 1.3 car.. something like that.. errr right?
im trying to educate myself here too :itsme:

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
i think google explain better than me..
so correct me if im wrong..
racing clutch grip better due to harder spring use in the pressure plate..
harder the pressure plate the more force given to make clutch plate & pressure plate grip..
harder pressure plate = more force to press the clutch pedal = kaki lenguh..
the clutch plate material also determine the grip..
puck = no of friction plate in the clutch plate..
if u see 3 separate friction plate at the clutch plate then 3 puck it is..

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Lesser puck usually means more pressure on each puck. Because standard physics law, force over smaller surface area is bigger than force over large surface area.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
sometimes depends on the pressure plate as well....
some ppl using racing pressure plate with normal OEM/heavy duty/std clutch plate.

for example 1.8 flywheel is 8.5", 2.0 is 9" so there is a slight diff in flywheel diameter.....
eg : 2.0 using 1.8 flywheel (8.5) better pick up but loose on top end.

wajunk

Known Member
Mar 26, 2011
Selangor
is there any problem if using stock clutch on extreme condition e.g in Sepang (SIC) for test run the car?
tq

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
no prob...but u may experience a burnt clutch...(too much slippage).......on hard driving during track runs.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

semi racing clutch - 3 pucks
racing clutch - 4,6,8

more advanced. super single, twin plate clutch Ogura, ACT etc.......

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Is it true that racing clutches will be very hard and it's a nightmare to drive in jams?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
IMHO, lesser puck need higher pressure plate rating to prevent slippage. But why use less puck, I think it is becoz the less surface area contact between flywheel and clutch plate will result clutch release faster than normal clutch.
Some mechanic recommend to use racing clutch with spring, it will help prevent 'melompat' feel when release the clutch.

BTW, clutch pedal with spring will help softer feel when pressing the clutch.
Example

Clutch pedal with spring

afiq_farami

Known Member
Mar 28, 2009
just little bit confuse ..the long or short when pressing the clutch to change the gear is depending on the type clutch(standard clutch@semi racing clutch@racing clutch) or not?...........:idea:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Subaru will be getting their own version of the Toyota FT-86 rear-wheel drive coupe and have released the first official photos of their version of the collaboration ahead of its debut at the Geneva Motor Show next week.

While Subaru were sneaky and provided a photo with an outline of just the front end’s silhouette, some Photoshop wands were waved over it at CarScoop and managed to filter out the rest...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience