need opinion on air filter

lkc

Known Member
Mar 3, 2010
petaling jaya
Dear sifus and otai

Need some advise here,my ride is proton persona 1.6 auto,is it recomended to change to open port air filter?currently i am using drop in air filter.What is the pros & cons on this?,also is it worth and recomended to add e-manage if my ride is standard and just changed the exhaust system only?your comment is highly appreciated :burnout:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
well from my personal experience open port for an auto car is no good
i experienced loss of power in my putra
the oni reason i put it in is for the nice sound :biggrin:
i cant comment bout drop in coz personally never tried(still on open port) heheh
but from what i heard form my buddies its better than open port for auto cars
hope that helps :top:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
try using KnN drop in airfilter...i've been using it since 3 years ago...

but a few mods if did...cut bigger holes in the airbox....suction sound still there...not sure about FC n power loss tho...never used open pod b4...here very dusty. dun dare use.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
normally a stage 1 tuneup done in this this step
1. Exhaust
2. Intake
3. Piggyback management

most of the time I've heard that by installing open pod alone will result in the powerband shifted a bit higher in the rpm range... that's why IMHO is what mr kumar is experiencing... I've experiencing the same thing when I used k&n open pod with hotbits intake kit with my old engine... the power curve shifted a few hundreds rpm higher and oso experiencing a bit drop in torque level as well...

so... if you really wants to get the most of it, better do the 3 mods i've mentioned above... but bear in mind, at most ppl will get with these 'bolt-on' upgrade is around 5%-7% only

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
yeap yeap loss of torque so the pick up is not there anymore and for auto pick up is hard to find compared to a manual thats why i say for performance open port not so good for auto :biggrin:
ohh and i didnt know if we live in surrounding with dirty air we shoudlnt use open port??
anyone care to explain why please?

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
read it somewhere before...being an open pod filter...of coz it offer better airflow...but it tends to suck hot air (which we dont want) from within the engine bay if installed without a proper CAI or heat insulation...my opinion...better stick to stock/uprated drop in...happy motoring :burnout:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
read it somewhere before...being an open pod filter...of coz it offer better airflow...but it tends to suck hot air (which we dont want) from within the engine bay if installed without a proper CAI or heat insulation...my opinion...better stick to stock/uprated drop in...happy motoring :burnout:
alamak okok i better go and take out my open port now coz mine takda cai or heat shield :banghead:
luckily i still have my standard air fliter :biggrin:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
yeap yeap loss of torque so the pick up is not there anymore and for auto pick up is hard to find compared to a manual thats why i say for performance open port not so good for auto :biggrin:
ohh and i didnt know if we live in surrounding with dirty air we shoudlnt use open port??
anyone care to explain why please?
Kumar22mostwanted: you can offset the loss of torque with a good exhaust system and a well-tuned piggyback management ecu... there's nothing wrong with open pod...provided it came from a reputable manufacturer such as k&n, apexi, hks etc... I like k&n better because i can wash it :love:

bera: second ur opinion.... need a good CAI or insulation... I'm using k&n on my turbo engine since the job for cooling the air already taken care of by the intercooler hehe

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
alamak okok i better go and take out my open port now coz mine takda cai or heat shield :banghead:
luckily i still have my standard air fliter :biggrin:
owh please dont listen to my advice... :) it just common sense bro...hot intake air equals to drop in engine performance...a small percentage only...you might not even notice it at all...don't just go throw away and waste your air filter just like that...

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
for campro engine if u using open port then it give slightly trouble in city driving. But highway good ah, last time try put open port in persona auto run 190km/h easily at the highway. But remember the top speed will drop.

lkc

Known Member
Mar 3, 2010
petaling jaya
wah,looks like have alot of negative feedback on open port for auto,hmm...by the way,currently i am using works engineering drop in air filter with cai installed frm my persona spot light hole straight up and connect to the air filter box,i just thought maybe my car can suck in faster air using open port thus improve the pick up more better,i only lack of a heat shield with my current set up becos right in front of the air filter box is a fan...the heat is the only problem,does anyone know where i can buy metal plate which is flexible and can be bend?hardware shop got sell?since open port not so recomended,i plan to diy my own head shield to block the hot air from the fan to the air filter box,maybe i'll attach a pic for you all to see then u can give me some opinion on what i should do. :biggrin:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
owh please dont listen to my advice... :) it just common sense bro...hot intake air equals to drop in engine performance...a small percentage only...you might not even notice it at all...don't just go throw away and waste your air filter just like that...
hehe no lah bro ive got similar advice from several people regarding this matter so no worries :top:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
your setup is nice oredy... but if you want to install open pod, its wiser to do a heatshield... you can buy the aluminium sheets at local hardware store, but u need to measure...

try browsing the DIY section, I think lotsa ppl done the heatshield DIY...one of the example are here
http://khguan.fotopic.net/c1821478.html

i think dis guy oso zth :adore:

wah,looks like have alot of negative feedback on open port for auto,hmm...by the way,currently i am using works engineering drop in air filter with cai installed frm my persona spot light hole straight up and connect to the air filter box,i just thought maybe my car can suck in faster air using open port thus improve the pick up more better,i only lack of a heat shield with my current set up becos right in front of the air filter box is a fan...the heat is the only problem,does anyone know where i can buy metal plate which is flexible and can be bend?hardware shop got sell?since open port not so recomended,i plan to diy my own head shield to block the hot air from the fan to the air filter box,maybe i'll attach a pic for you all to see then u can give me some opinion on what i should do. :biggrin:

lkc

Known Member
Mar 3, 2010
petaling jaya
wow,very nice and neatly done....i realise if install open port will free up more space in the engine bay and the heat shield can be easily done and adjust,but like my case if i remain the filter box and diy a heat shield i really need to think how to put as the space is limited there,i think i'll upload the picture maybe by tonight for u guys to have a look and give some suggestion,the guy also manage to buy a color metal plate,nice nice....hehe :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I found this on the net. Any of the DIY kings wanna try it out? I can only access half the article though, sigh. Need to pay.

http://f2.autospeed.com/cms/A_0059/article...?popularArticle
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience