modified air filter

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
i just found a suitable air filter for my proton tiara..but the old air box i have to throw away to make way for the filter...i bought the type with metal wire mesh on da outside..a bit like cone one...will it affect my car in the long term? i can feel the difference in performance already...is it becoz of da new air filter? need your opinion guys...

gloss

1,500 RPM
May 23, 2005
SJ
your car have a new breathing organe..
congra!!

"affect your car in a long run" .. in which sense?

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

how it is? what kinda filter is this? me noob here..

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
the old air box gone..completely gone already...say hello to my new air filter...i can feel the acceleration jump up...or is it my own thoughts?

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
according to some ppl, they say u feel more power is because the stucked old filter is removed and u put in a new filter which is not stucked by dirt..and it increase the air flow...so u feel more power..

btw, i think aftermarket filter all had higher flow than ori. but the problem is, the increase of power vs the increase of fc....

once u changed filter, mostly fc increase...if fc>hp, then not worth it...but it depend on personal preferences...

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
ic...need to put air ram? o just connect to the head n straight to the carburettor good enough? without air ram the air come in too fast right?

cybreed

olSkool
Nov 8, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
www.randomshutter.com
more power = more fuel consumed.

why more power? because your engine gets better air flow from your new element. Over the stock one, the new one has bigger 'holes' so the air particles can flow in better and in higher volume. So now you have more air(oxygen+other gasses) most likely your mech retune the engine to compensate for more air, but adding more petrol flow thereby increasing more fuel for combustion making a powerful bang.

more bang more power more power more fuel

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
i still dun understand why ppl always FUEL consumption INCRease?

the power comes because engine no need to 'pull' so hard to suck the air in
what way it will increase the fuel consumption?

in fact i think better air flow will improve your fuel economy
cause the engine no need to pull the air in so much (in case of dirty filter)
and can use the power to move the car more easily

well unless ppl always rev the car after changing.. than offcourse FC will hurt
but if u maintain your driving habit
i see no logic where the increasing in fuel consumption

Last edited:

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
i went to the exhaust shop to custom ram for the new air filter just now...but the tauke said better fix back my old filter/air box becoz according to him, although using the new filter makes it more powerful, but is also increases the risk of the car's engine catching fire as sometimes the petrol might get sucked back and the heat from the manifold below could cause a fire if u run it for long distance...is it true? he said one of his customers ever kena once liao...the whole engine terbakar...what's ur opinion guys? plz help..shud i continue using o follow his advice?

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
lol again?

ok changing AIR FILTER more fuel consumption?

logic is here......sendiri think. Same like human,

1st = Air is free
2nd = More air no good?
2rd = Cleaner air no good?

yinho

Known Member
Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
one of the major prob for open port air filter is because heat. We know that when engine is running, the temp in the engine bay will rise. For normal road car, when the car is moving forward, the air circulation will flow from engine bay to under the car then to free air. When the car is stagnant, the temp in the engine bay will increase, thus the air filter will tend to suck hot air. As a result FC increase.

Original airbox provides natural CAI. Depending on your air filter configuration, IMO these air filter are actually designed for turbo charged car because it requires much much higher air flow than equilvalent NA engine.

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
ic...yinho thanks for the info..think better change back to old filter cos my engine is NA..better for FC rite?

yinho

Known Member
Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
weikhee.. my suggestion is just stay with your new air filter since u feel the car is easier to rev. wait till u really fed up with your FC or sluggish performance during hot afternoon then u might decide to change it back or add your own CAI. FYI, cheaper filter (some does look exactly like those famous brand) does not provide good filteration. so small particles might have changes to enter your combustion chamber.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

morning all bros and gurus

i need some advice and hope you guys can help

my waja A1.6 is about 7 years old.

recently my brake seems like not working and i have to press until to the max floor before it stops. i have sent to a mechanic and they have change the brake hose, change the brake pads and release the air bubble inside.

the problem seems to have dissapeared but after 3 weeks now i am feeling that the brake pedal sometimes is very tight and sometime very light when...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience