Leaking pipes

gsr-sam

Known Member
Sep 10, 2005
PJ
Hi...I'm a newbie and just got my WIRA convertred to a GSR about 1 1/2 months ago. I've been reading the forums alot and would like to ask all the sifu's here how to detect if our intercooler pipes are leaking?

Hansap....poseidon....met u guys at skyzone last Saturday...hope to see you on the forums :biggrin:

chinkw2

1,000 RPM
Feb 14, 2005
Kulai, Johor
Visit site
can detect from you boost level, let said standard boost is 0.7 suddenly you boost level increase to unbelieve level that mean your intercooler piping might be leaking!!!!
Hope can share with you my exprience. I also gsr drivers....

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
chinkw2 said:
can detect from you boost level, let said standard boost is 0.7 suddenly your boost level increase to unbelieve level that mean your intercooler piping might be leaking!!!!
Hope can share with you my exprience. I also gsr drivers....
aiyo..cannot bro.
how can boost increase if got leak weh?
IMO if suddenly your boost level increase to unbelieve level that means ur wastegate actuator vac hose is damaged/plugged off instead.

u can hear:

1 - mine used to pop off from its joint, most of the time frm turbo to intercooler..:mad: u can actually hear a loud 'pop':rolleyes:.

2- that's why we put vac gauges on a turbo car. when pressure doesn't rise like it's set to, then you most probably have a leak somewhere.

3-idling might be a bit rough, IMO. but that's for cars wif MAP sensor. on AFM, i'm not so sure lah.

just my 2c, i stand corrected.

regards.

gsr-sam

Known Member
Sep 10, 2005
PJ
HKS-GT2835R said:
aiyo..cannot bro.
how can boost increase if got leak weh?
IMO if suddenly your boost level increase to unbelieve level that means ur wastegate actuator vac hose is damaged/plugged off instead.

u can hear:

1 - mine used to pop off from its joint, most of the time frm turbo to intercooler..:mad: u can actually hear a loud 'pop':rolleyes:.

2- that's why we put vac gauges on a turbo car. when pressure doesn't rise like it's set to, then you most probably have a leak somewhere.

3-idling might be a bit rough, IMO. but that's for cars wif MAP sensor. on AFM, i'm not so sure lah.

just my 2c, i stand corrected.

regards.
Thanks for the inputs chiefs...the vacumm meter...does it indicate the same as aboost meter...I'm still running standard boost 0.6 ..at idle -0.6 a/cod on -0.8....or is it the other ways arounf.....errr...anyway if engine healthy what the reading ehh...so far can still hold full boost...but so far only try maybe max 5 sec......how long can we maintain full boost???

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
gsr-sam said:
Thanks for the inputs chiefs...the vacumm meter...does it indicate the same as aboost meter...I'm still running standard boost 0.6 ..at idle -0.6 a/cod on -0.8....or is it the other ways arounf.....errr...anyway if engine healthy what the reading ehh...so far can still hold full boost...but so far only try maybe max 5 sec......how long can we maintain full boost???
here's a boost meter..
the vac part is the lower reading, the -0.5 & -1.0 is ur vac. the upper +ve digits is ur boost. u SHUD have -ve reading for idle, and +ve reading on throttle.
IMO for boost less than 1 bar, depending on ur engine condition & stuff u use, u can actually maintain full boost as long as u want!

i stand corrected, as usual.

gsr-sam

Known Member
Sep 10, 2005
PJ
HKS-GT2835R said:
here's a boost meter..
the vac part is the lower reading, the -0.5 & -1.0 is ur vac. the upper +ve digits is ur boost. u SHUD have -ve reading for idle, and +ve reading on throttle.
IMO for boost less than 1 bar, depending on ur engine condition & stuff u use, u can actually maintain full boost as long as u want!

i stand corrected, as usual.
HKS-GT2835R....thanks for the info....I always though we need to release the boost every couple of secs to avoid wrecking the engine.....BTW whats IMO?

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
gsr-sam said:
HKS-GT2835R....thanks for the info....I always though we need to release the boost every couple of secs to avoid wrecking the engine.....BTW whats IMO?
Hi Zul!

Haha, received your sms last night. Was asleep lar bro. Monday's always not a nice day to wake up late to work :)

Anyways, in-regards to your previous posting.

The turbine will never stop producing boost. It will spin on and on.. It's the wastegate (internal/ external) that releases the gasses to maintain your preset boost.

Anyways, I'll be in Shah Alam for a while tonight at around 10pm. Tea bro? :)

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
gsr-sam said:
hahah..:biggrin:.plz scuse me..too used to type sms..
IMO = 'in my opinion'

dun worry about ur boost or whatever related.ur internal wastegate'll take care of that!:tee:

gsr-sam

Known Member
Sep 10, 2005
PJ
HKS-GT2835R thanks bro...at least now I know how it works.
Correct me if I'm wrong....
The standard internal wastegate bypasses the exhaust gasses from turning the turbine when the standard boost is reached right....so this means even if we increase the boost the turbine will slow down eventually...so do we need to buy an external wastegate before we increase the boost??? Those external wastegates...can they be set to release at a certain boost? Sorry ...me newbie ...so anxious ...asking too many questions.....

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
gsr-sam said:
The standard internal wastegate bypasses the exhaust gasses from turning the turbine when the standard boost is reached right....so this means even if we increase the boost the turbine will slow down eventually...so do we need to buy an external wastegate before we increase the boost???
like you said, what they do is maintain your boost level at a desired pressure, simply by bypassing the exhaust gasses from turning the turbine thru a simple gate or door. in the pix below,there's two holes, the left one with the blade is ur turbo's main exit, and the right one is the turbo's internal wastegate. that ugly round flap door is opened by...

this thing..the wastegate actuator.

the tip on the left is connected to your plenum, see..so when the pressure inside the plenum arises, it'll push the actuator's rod (the bar with hole on the left), which opens the wastegate's door. that's how it control ur boost.

IMO those OEM internal wastegates shud be good up to 1.3~1.4 bar. in my experience (or lack of!), when you go higher than 1.5bar, (or u wan ur engine to look cool! ) then an external wastegate shud be in order.

gsr-sam said:
Those external wastegates...can they be set to release at a certain boost? Sorry ...me newbie ...so anxious ...asking too many questions.....
yah. they can..i vnvr used it before, but if i remember correctly,u turn that small bolt on top to your desired spring hardness. the harder the spring=gives higher boost.

gsr-sam

Known Member
Sep 10, 2005
PJ
Thanks..HKS-GT2835R..I think I finally got the pieces together.....

So spark plugs rating 7 really have a significant diff. compared to 6 . Can we really see the diff.....I've used several types before and I can't really feel the diffrence....

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
gsr-sam said:
Thanks..HKS-GT2835R..I think I finally got the pieces together.....

So spark plugs rating 7 really have a significant diff. compared to 6 . Can we really see the diff.....I've used several types before and I can't really feel the diffrence....

Zul,

My backside feel tells me that you won't feel a significant difference in using plugs rated 7, but you will definitely feel the difference when using back 6 :)