KE70 technical help needed

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

opp61

Known Member
Hi All

Maybe picking up a KE70 very soon just for drifitng. It has been coverted to a AE86 engine and g/b. Problem is that this kereta has no aircon and power steering. For the aircon, found a AE86 unit but the seller said that if the crossmember is from a KE70, it will not fit. Unfortunately, my crossmember is a KE70 unit. Would it fit?

On the p/s, what do I need to buy for this to function?Would it be plug and play if I get one from a AE86? Whould using a KE70 crossmember have any effect on the istallation of the p/s kit?

thanks !!!!

Bro, if the KE70 for drifting purpose, do not install air-cond unit and power steering. Focus on how to improve the handling and setup the car properly for drifting.
If you want to install it anyway, just get the air cond compressor bracket and there you go. other hose installation just as normal. Original KE70 crossmember able to make clearence for the compressor unit. Not a problem.
As for P/S unit, it's BIG NO NO for drifting. You steering respond will be slower and you'll facing problem when switch from left to right or right to left. Forget about power steering!!!!!

Aircond unit will give you more headache than driving in sweat, really, trust me, I've been through that. Unless the car doubles as your daily ride, strictly no aircond.

As for power steering, I don't see the need of one in a KE70 at all. Or maybe it's just me having a KE70 that seems to have lighter steering than powersteering... everyone who tried my car said so... no idea why.

On the side note... I wonder how long has it been since I last posted... :proud:

Aircond unit will give you more headache than driving in sweat, really, trust me, I've been through that. Unless the car doubles as your daily ride, strictly no aircond.

As for power steering, I don't see the need of one in a KE70 at all. Or maybe it's just me having a KE70 that seems to have lighter steering than powersteering... everyone who tried my car said so... no idea why.

On the side note... I wonder how long has it been since I last posted... :proud:

Guys

Humm...ok. Will get the aircon sorted out first then the p/s. How much should I be looking at as cost for the a/c and labour for install?

Guys

Humm...ok. Will get the aircon sorted out first then the p/s. How much should I be looking at as cost for the a/c and labour for install?

compressor=Rm150
Compressor bracket=RM100
Condensor=RM150
Hose=RM80-100
FIlter=RM30
Cooling coil hanging unit=RM350
Valve=RM30
Wormanship=RM150

it's roughly there lar if you don't have any existing unit in your car.

1 grand should set you up nicely. Even my TE requires such amount to set up one. Oh yeah, the secret to a lighter steering... hmmm.... lets see. Besides playing with the steering gear ratio. You could pump the tire pressure higher. Lets say normal driving 30psi. Drifting 35-40psi. This is up front. Another problem crops up though, the front end has less grip. But the solution is buying expensive grippy tires. The rear end..... any shitty tires would do, since you are going to rape them anyway. hahaha. But till you are semi pro or something high grip tires at the rear is not something you would explore as it requires you to be aggressive on throttle.

Shit why am i giving advice, i don't even drift!:burnout:

I find it easier to counter steer without power steering... sometime it just do it for you :biggrin: Don't get a steering with sharp/thin spokes though... might turn so fast it will knock your finger off...

hmm...that's an interesting fact...
but why does it react like that...?

is it because of the load of suspension + wheel makes it turn like that ?

or

is it because during drifting the weight transition move to the back thus...only one front wheel touches the ground...and one of the front tyre make contact with the ground ?

heee...

- Drift, rear tire lose traction while front tire still gripping the ground.

- Rear swings out in one direction, basically making your car facing a different direction than it was.

- Front tire will still face the same direction if the tire is grippy enough, without a power steering system there will be not much force to stop it from *not* turning, while a p/s hydraulic system would, and you have to put effort in countersteering more compare to non p/s.

- Sorry for the point form because I might confused myself... I don't know how to put it into proper words :mad:]

*Btw... It would cost more than what EG9 said to install an aircond system. It has cost me near rm1k to completely fix/modify the whole damn thing even when I already have the aircond parts :mad::bawling:

But at least now I don't have to turn off my aircond if suddenly feel like having a little fun... aircond cuts with over 50% throttle after messing with the wires a bit :adore:

so meaning the foward force applied from the back tyre, making the front tyre moved towards the directed point, for sure laa the car moving maa ...and will make it turn and stay by itself and will assist you automatically..thus no need the p/s ...

is it ? :hmmmm: :biggrin:

I don't think there's anything to do with front/back tire force, else i'll be confusing myself even more... :stupid: but the thing is it's not the main reason people don't go for power steering for drift setup... it's more about the steering feedback.

I can't feel anything (much) from a powersteering system, it feels like i'm not connected to the front wheel... giving me less confidence.

Not to mention it robs a bit of power and your petrol bill goes up. It's a fact, because my dad's iswara is converted to p/s from a non p/s, but no choice when you get old you want something easier to drive :biggrin:

hahaha...nevermind...

all i can say is...

Toyota - "Get the Feeling" :driver:

No no. Chinozie, its because the force of the car pushing to the front and the wheels will get back to the path of least resistance, which is the center. I don't know if you driven non power steering cars before. But when you drive no matter how much turn in angle you steer, after the car moves forward, the wheels would go straight again.

Full stop, full steering left or right, let go of steering, slight throttle and see steering magically moves to center! If you do the same just now but you throttle hard, the steering would center also, but faster. so in this case, because the cars that drift actually make use of the steering momentum to go the other way. You look back at the many "How to drift" videos by Drift Tengoku and Option, they would say the same.

Another test is when you drive straight at 60km/h, you could yantk the steering a little had, the car yaws and wabbles back in the last body lean. Meaning the steering would still go straight. I don't think you do such thing in a powered steering. I dont' have a FR powered steering car to try. Maybe we could hunt down MK84 and try his MR2. hehehe.

The only game i could recommend you to play with such a feel is OUTRUN 2. Not because its my favourite game, but its a drifting game. You can do Nomura Ken's technique on this one. I would say 50% accurate on steering movement with car response compared to any of the other driving games just to drift a car.

On why it is not recommended to have power steering on drift cars. Its because power steering actually locks all momentum at every millimetre of steering input. Its like you poking a dead breast, and the nipples don't shrink! When you do time attacks, its better not to have too much flipping motion like this because the FF cars like yours need high traction to turn. Where our FR cars need throttle to make the car turn in faster, until we drift. Such a situation for FF cars might be understeer already i'm sure.

But this is based on what i see and concieve la. Maybe other pro's could be more accurate.

Last edited:
The only game i could recommend you to play with such a feel is OUTRUN 2.

Reminds me of that old old game in DOS :biggrin:

after the car moves forward, the wheels would go straight again.
Noticed on my parent's proton... u-turn at traffic light I have to turn the steering back to straight while I just let go of the steering in my KE70...

Which gives me an impression power steering hydraulic system would "pull" the steering/wheels in the direction of where it was and won't go straight if you don't help turn it back.

Less so in a vios... but then it feels so muffled that there's no sense of speed at all, going 10km/h feels the same as going 60km/h... :hmmmm: at least that's what i feel when i go test drove it... long time ago

Its because power steering actually locks all momentum at every millimetre of steering input.

Like i said, the mechanism actually assist in every speed. So that the the dead feeling you fell. Slow and fast feels the same. You don't really know how much traction you could get in a corner. Where a on powered steering will gradually feel heavier. This gradual feeling can only be felt on the new BMW 5 series above active steering. I don't know if the new 3 has it. But it simulated non powered steering. they created power steering because heavy cars need it. Or cars with wide wheels need it.

The Outrun 2 can be played on PC witch comes in the moniker, Outrun 2 : Coast to Coast. But for best effect you play with force feedback steering. Or you pay RM1 at the arcades.

I often wonder how 4WD without power steering feels. Because i have only tested FF and FR. And i know off road 4WD needs them because bad terrain will hold a wheel in worse than normal scrubby roads.

I've driven old scool car b4...Lancer A172...
but not in drifting...

well...it's not very clear what you told me...guess we have to organize a TTT for it... :driver: :love:

hahahaha...

just like the old days...

I've driven old scool car b4...Lancer A172...
but not in drifting...

well...it's not very clear what you told me...guess we have to organize a TTT for it... :driver: :love:

hahahaha...

just like the old days...

Probably you need to sit in AE86 or KE70 without P/S and look at the steering movement while they drift, you can shift the direction while you drifting just by using throttle control.

Nevermind, just get KE70 and join us, let drift together, then you'll have full understanding on how it work...heheheheh...

Could be also. I think easier to say downgrade just by looking at manufacturing dates. But then require different skill level to drive hard. That would be an upgrade. :hmmmm:

Top Bottom