Honda City CVT gearbox

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

AutoBlackie

Known Member
Recently, there have been lots of ppl claiming that the CVT gearbox is unreliable and I wonder if this claim is true? I have a CITY Vtec March 2005. It has done 6k km. I've changed the ATF to the new CVTF. I'm enjoying the CITY very much with no problems so far.
I've a friend who is using a 95 Civic ferio with the first generation CVT gearbox is still having no problems with it.
If you really did have your gearbox changed before can you post it here.

Feb 2005 City VTEC here.. only did 4100km mileage and did my CVTF oil change at 38xxkm.. no problems so far..

just wondering, when ur gear is engaged to D and during standstill traffic.. do you feel any vibration? soft vibrations on your seats.. just wondering :)

ei, if u're saying soft vibration when on stand still i like got this thing leh...have to notice tomorrow...aih...

The only problem i find is the power pickup up slower than RPM increment. But not a problem also, since the whole process is so smooth without any jerk, thanks to CVT.

Ya, lots of talk in Autoworld's honda forum. It seems like the same few ppl are complaining. I don't doubt that they are genuine. However, I think that they represent the minority.

From my experience, yeap a soft vibration. But even when pushed to neutral. Well for the money paid no complains.

So far the CVT is really a different experience altogether...It is like you're driving a different kind of a vehicle...smooth

I agree.. never felt the same driving other cars :)

gear change is so smooth, no jerk at all.. at least i can slowly drive and not awake my passengers on long distance driving, etc.. my mum falls asleep easily in my car :p

From what I was told... if you use cheap / unknown brands of ATF (not meant for CVT)... there will be problems.

Other than that... CVTs are very reliable. Just don't skimp on maintainance cost.

CVTs should be good lerr...coming from Honda...I'm sure they would have run the bugger to the ground before releasing it to mass market. So, the problems faced by a minority of owners could be isolated cases.

Well, no vehicle is perfect. Sometimes buy car also must see ones luck.. I have a friend who has changed cars don how many times. Each time he changed car(whether new or 2nd hand) sure got problem one. And the problem is unique to him! Mechanics always tell him that his problem is always one in a million....never seen it happenned before!

By the way, does the 2.0iVtec civic CVT-ed??

sadly...

the 2.0 i-Vtec Civic is not...
probably honda wants us to change to manual tranny kottt...
thats why they didnt put CVT... if it is CVT wow must be syiok whoaaa...
smooth tranny... for sure if CVT i'll not change the tranny...
but now since its an non CVT auto tranny, the devil inside me is scorchingly asking me to change to manual tranny lah... but my left knee said... no... no.... no....

Snoop,

kekeke...u must ask ur left knee to shaddup!! I've got a friend who's driving the RS...aichohhh...the cvt is beauty lah...somemore he got sun roof, skirts, ori tinted windows...sigh...

koks,

no lah....
just wanna see onli...
or probably wanna share something for mods...
or can ask2 opinion...

BTW Im in Gombak...

where are u n ur fren staying???

Actually there is such a thing as Civic CVT in Japan. They just didn't sell it in Malaysia.

So far it seems like we are the only ones not complaining bout this CVT. Wonder if there are more satisfied users out there.

As for me I've only had my City for less than 10k. Probably the problem haven't developed yet......

it seems in AutoWorld there are ppl who are participating in the petition already.. let's see the outcome :D

there was also Civic with CVT in Singapore, but it was recalled and fitted with normal auto-gearbox because of some problems as i've heard.

already some ppl hav commented bout this belt-driven technology long b4 city was launched.....was used in civics ek 1.5 sohc vtec - hardly confident bout it then

beats me, but now, its already so many yrs n yet Honda still use it in new cars, i guess the reliability shouldnt b so bad, like u guyz said, get the 'right' oil is important.....

ps: even for dohc vtecs (normal g/b), im sure those guyz notice the diff n not advisable to use mineral based oil when u tarik~8k++rpm

anyway, i've driven the city IDSI b4.....no complaints, for the price u pay; i think its a best u can get for comfort, space, economy

AutoBlackie said:
Ya, lots of talk in Autoworld's honda forum. It seems like the same few ppl are complaining. I don't doubt that they are genuine. However, I think that they represent the minority.

From my experience, yeap a soft vibration. But even when pushed to neutral. Well for the money paid no complains.

So far the CVT is really a different experience altogether...It is like you're driving a different kind of a vehicle...smooth

Hi, I'm new in this web forum. I own City iDSI since Jan 05.

Yes, there only few "Same" ppl are complaining there. Some of them just treat it like "rumor" then become "reality" in their mind and keep asking "izzit? Problem? Mine too...or even petition"

I'm not sure how they define their term "vibrate" or "jerk", but why we scare about what we paid since the car entitled 100,000KM or 3 years warranty.

AutoBlackie, your "soft vibration" can refer to mini forum.

1) CVT Jerk?!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89896&highlight=CVT+jerk

2) CVT reprogrammed
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86804&highlight=CVT+jerk

I'm not so sure City CVT can be reprogrammed but I do have confidence with Honda.

This is what happens in Honda China. (It's chinese simplified character, sorry guys for who can't read. I tried translate but couldn't) If something really happen, sure Honda will replace.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.guangzhouhonda.com.cn/news1.htm

Or you go http://www.guangzhouhonda.com.cn/

read the 04/25 notice.

P/S: If anyone understand what is that, please tell me as I dont understand what is the term for the part they promised to be checked and changed. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom