[HELP]Electrical burning smell at steering wheel, and headlight can't be turn off.

cheeriochin

Oct 31, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
guys, need help.
My car is 9gen altis, 2003,
I was driving for almost 2 hr, then smell some short circuit burning smell inside the cabin.

park the car at the road side , then i realized headlight cannot be turned off.

i quickly disconnect the battery to prevent further damage to my car.

it didnt gv any sign prior to the burning smell. and the smell came from the steering wheel itself, on top of the airbag area

anyone can guide me here?

thanks, sharing is caring smile.gif

MingFai

Known Member
Apr 18, 2010
P.J Jln Gasing
Re: [HELP]Electrical burning smell at steering wheel, and headlight can't be turn off

Erm where r u now?

cheeriochin

Oct 31, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Re: [HELP]Electrical burning smell at steering wheel, and headlight can't be turn off

oh..me now in tapah..
just now i connected the battery, prob persist..

any 1 can tell me wats happening here?

tq

ed78

Known Member
Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

dude,

same thing happen to me before with my putra. try the fuse box.

The fuse for the light would have melted........ if it is..... be very carefull when pulling it out....i burnt my finger when i tried to pull it out.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007

for 9 gen Altis, there are two fuse boxes: One at the engine bay and another one behind the glove box.

there is a crocodile clip to take out the fuses in the engine bay, in white transparent color. Use that will be more convenient when you check for any fuse that may burned.

cheeriochin

Oct 31, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

thanks, i will try that

wired short circuit but the fuse didnt break..

i wonder why

now i am driving out for diagnostic chk

hope everything is ok

thanks ya

can't believe the car with this price will hv this problem

cheeriochin

Oct 31, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

If find the problem, let us know also..... :)
[snapback]46645352[/snapback]​

problem found, this signal stalk got fried , problem fixed after replace the signal stalk
my car need to be tow to workshop
everytime i start my car, can see smoke coming out from the signal stalk

LESSON TO LEARN HERE

1. If sense burning smell, quickly stop at the roadside when it's safe to do so.
2. Quickly turn off engine, disconnect the car battery.
3. the car need to be towed, do not attempt to drive it yourself.

thanks for your advice guys, tq

Oct 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Hi, I have the similar problem.
May I know where you went to fix the problem? Toyota SC?

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan

check the wiring around that switch, happen to me last time, turns out that the wire melt into each other, causing the current overflow and smoked the switches.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i recently visited a muffler shop in sunway and realised that i was spoilt for choice, there are just so many types of mufflers available. i already have an extractor and mid section installed (2.3) on my 1.8 putra. could someone tell me what i should be looking out for/consider before purchasing a muffler?
and what are the main differences between imported ones ($$$) and locally produced ones ($)?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience