Evo 6-9 Owners

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Just wondering,have any of you been out ran by a Honda NA before ?

Or seen any super fast Hondas that you have serious respect for ?

Is it possible that a Honda can win a heavily modded Evo in early race due to turbo lag?

Leave your comments please =)

HanJackaL said:
Just wondering,have any of you been out ran by a Honda NA before ?

Or seen any super fast Hondas that you have serious respect for ?

Is it possible that a Honda can win a heavily modded Evo in early race due to turbo lag?

kekkekeke. U don't have any other question to ask kaa?. Talking about the Mitsubishi & Honda, i vote in this forum of course will go for Mitsubishi la.

HanJackaL - what do you mean by "in early race"?
I know a DC5 that can do the Sepang circuit abt 5 secs of the pace of a heavily modded E8 though. The DC has got cams, modded gear ratio etc etc modded to suit the SIC track and driven by quite a good driver.

Hanjackal,

First & foremost, I can see you are pretty new to our forums especialy in Mitsu forum so a big welcome ! We all very nice ppl here..stay on with us !

Let me 'cerita' a bit lar ok and I'm sure there are many evo owners here that comes from Vtec background with lots of experience than me but what the heck..let me start the ball rolling.

You got to be more specific if you wish to 'learn' some experience from others. I can share with you as I am a owner of B18C-R Type-R before and now drives a 4G63 E6. Then again, I am not into modded comparisons as this is very subjective and there isn't any heaven nor earth on mod.

For simplification here's my sharing for a 0-400m drag and I assume you wish to know the best of Vtec vs Evo so I'll take the 1.8 Type-R as comparisons and let's assume the driver skills are equivalent as we know that is one of the most important factor besides car performance in a race. On a long road, Evo obviously will outrun a NA Vtec because of it's torque being a turbo engine.

I've tested the following #1-4 during my NA vs Turbo days so here goes...
anything beyond is basically my personal view. No experience lar..

1.Stock B18C-R vs Stock Evo ( Evo wins)
2.Mild mod B18C-R vs Stock Evo (B18C-R will lead 1-2 gear but still lost after 3rd)
3.Heavy modded B18C-R vs Stock Evo (B18C-R wins)
4.Extreme modded B18C-R vs Stock Evo (Self Explanatory !)

5.Heavy modded B18C-R vs Light modded Evo (can be very close but I'll bet on B18C-R)
6.Heavy modded B18C-R vs Mild modded Evo (Evo will win)
7.Extreme modded B18C-R vs Extreme modded Evo (Definately an evo as we are comparing NA B18C-R here..unless is B18C-R Turbo, I'll bet on Extreme Evo) :)

My Definition lar
---------------
B18C-R:-
Mild mod: Air Filter, Exhaust Systems & Extractor, Spark Plugs, Plug cables, Chipped ECU (ie, J's Racing, Mugen, Spoon) or piggyback (ie..SAFC, e-manage)

Heavy Mod: Mild mod + Fully re-programmed ECU (ie..Apexi Power FC), Higher Cams profile, Racing Clutches, Fuel systems deliverables (line,regulator,pump..etc), Race Tyres & Light sports rims

Extreme Mod: Heavy Mod + Re-port/balanced engine, Pistons change (higher compression, CC..etc), Direct intake/Open throttle, Shorten Gear ratio, Racing flywheel and the list goes on lar.......

EVO:
Mild mod: Air Filter, Exhaust Systems, Spark Plugs, Plug cables, Chipped ECU (light-tuned ie Ralliart,Mines,Tomei,e..etc) or also Piggyback ECU, Boost controller (stabilise higher the standard boost slightly),adjustable Fuel Regulator, BOV.

Heavy Mod: Mild mod + Fully re-programmed ECU (ie, HKS F-con, Racing cluthes, Autronics SM2, Apexi Power-FC..etc), Higher Cams profile, turbo manifold upgrade, Complete Fuel systems deliverables (Fuel line, fuel regulator, Fuel rail, injectors, pump), intercooler and turbo pipings upgrade and lastly... higher boost ! (anything above 1.5bar I would say).

Extreme Mod: Heavy Mod + Pistons change (stroker kit , higher CC..etc), larger Turbo upgrade, wastegates, Shorten Gear ratio, complete engine internals upgrade (to sustain extreme high boost!) and the list goes on lar.......perhaps NOS ? hehe

Of course, the combination can be very different and that is why I emphasized that I hate to compare modded cars as it's really SUBJECTIVE. Anything I've missed ?

p/s: after typing this, I realise should have another layer in between mild and heavy..maybe intermediate but I malas nak taip dah..so this is it. Feel free to correct me.

hope this helps to paint a little of the big picture for Hanjackal....
anything unclear pls do not hesitate to PM me.

cheers & enjoy,

Err..forgot to clarify..

One more thing, when I said best of vtecs, DC-5, S2000 and EP-3 wasn't out yet lar during my vtec days..NSX is out of my league to compare though...hehe.

Old man liao lar.

OK OK I admit I am very long storied but I just realise I am not answering your question direct so here goes again.. :biggrin:

1. OF COURSE !

2. YES YES

3. NOPE ! (you mentioned HEAVILY MODDED EVO so that can be anything above 450ps. Not easy for a NA vtec to reach beyond 400 !).

Of course, you can put in some other indirect consideration such as power to weight ratio..etc.

HanJackaL said:
1. Just wondering,have any of you been out ran by a Honda NA before ?

2. Or seen any super fast Hondas that you have serious respect for ?

3. Is it possible that a Honda can win a heavily modded Evo in early race due to turbo lag?

B18C-R: very good answer liau. Will come to your for advise next time bro. BTW, we have met in one of the TT session right (cause me very bad with names).

Cheers

An EXTREMELY modded EVO r Super KENG ler!!! Look at de HKS TRB-02 Evo8 on top of all!!! Till date there r stil no other cars can beat it best time in Tsukuba circuit for de 54sec++!!!

1. Always!!!
2. There r lots of them out there!!!
3. Do u means during launching time? Then yes, but jus a very short period!!!

Cheers!!! :tee:

cyilaw said:
what's the point to compare like that?

agree with cyilaw - not too meaningful to compare it this way. probably more meaningful to compare actuals.

however, i think B18C-R gave a pretty good overview to give the guy a broad guidance.

walau eh guys. how to compare a NA vtec against force induction?

sure the turbo wins hands down...unless the NA is modded.

I am sure if we meet any modded cars out there now, we will definately not know how heavily modded the cars are. The point is, if the fellas wanna tailgate u and challenge u , u know they have something underneath haha rite?

anyone think they dare if they r stock standard? making the evos/subarus lose face....hey a good tale to tell during yum cha :biggrin:

its an unfair real world......

plus anyone heard of a 1.8 lancer GSR w turbo tailgated by a kancil turbo ALL the way for 15 mins straight? cool eh? me respect the super kancil.

p.s heard tt it was the GSR which lunci first :smile:

the motto is, if u wan to be the best and still be the winner, go for the best. mod ur car geng geng and there u have it.

ever heard of a stock wira challenge an altezza? mercedes against a skyline? dun think so...heh heh unless maybe a merc 320 AMG..

p.s me kena chased by my fren in an altezza while driving the evo....blame me not the car...haha i lousy driver.....

Last edited:
limt said:
B18C-R: very good answer liau. Will come to your for advise next time bro. BTW, we have met in one of the TT session right (cause me very bad with names).

Cheers

Yo limt, aiyah yalar we met once before in one of MLOC TT in DH last month. Remember we were 'fiddling' around with the SARD BOV (R2D2) on it's adjustable nut then ? hehe...

Got time join us lor for TT. Will ask leslie to remember to SMS you.

cheers,
Ben

cyilaw said:
what's the point to compare like that?

cyilaw,
True lar..I agree with you but I just can't help it when someone ask this 'sacred' question. I think this is one of the most asked question in forums all around the world...LoL

How can a Vtec makan turbo...etc..etc. Anyway, I'm just trying to heat up this tread a bit..:tongue:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and detailed reply to my questions...

Yes you are right, i am quite new to this forums and also quite a newb in this car modification world.However, its a new hobby and i am willing to learn.

All my friends are using turbos and they advice me to go turbo as well.I am in love with Vtec but not sure on how a heavily modded Vtec would do vs "most" turbo cars i see on the road. All i want is around 300 HP on a Vtec and i am more than happy.But not sure if that can be achieved. =/

I dont think the majority of Turbos on the road, including Evo and such are EXTREMELY modded right ?

Also, i am thinking of throwing in a B16A in my car till i gain more knowledge.Is it a good buy ? If in the future i want to upgrade to B20B rojak,must i replace almost all the engine parts of my B16A ?

What does "Balanced" engine mean? How can you "balance" an engine ? Also, can someone tell me what parts make the Engine Block and Head ? Engine block = Pistons + Piston rings and Engine head = cams,cam pulley,valves ..etc right ?

Or am i confused when i say the engine block is made up of Pistons and engine head is made up of Cams..etc ?

If the above case is true, then if i just buy a B16A half cut, change my cams to wide profile,change valve springs and such to better ones that those in B18CR head, wont my B16A Engine head be better than B18CR engine head anyway ? =P So why must i buy the B18CR head for ? =P

Very confused lol !

Last edited:
B18C-R said:
cyilaw,
True lar..I agree with you but I just can't help it when someone ask this 'sacred' question. I think this is one of the most asked question in forums all around the world...LoL

How can a Vtec makan turbo...etc..etc. Anyway, I'm just trying to heat up this tread a bit..:tongue:

sorry brother, i'm not point to ur explaination. u really give the good explaination. :rock: i just point to the main question, its very hard to compare NA and Turbo. and i see around the forum quite a lot this kind of question pop out, then eveybody flame that guy, not good ler like that.. :tee: ..cheers.

B18C-R: Yup, now I remember. Aiyah, me very forgetful lah. Will meet you guys up for the next TT. Last few TT can't join as I was pretty busy..

Keep in touch bro..

HanJackaL,

Hey fren, dun worry lar... Of cause not all turbo cars especially Evo r heavily modded or being too hard core!!! Mostly 'only' upgrading air intake systme, full exhuast system + ECU n mayb sport cams as well...

As for a Vtec to beat a turbo car there r lot of ways to do it... Most of de turbo cars such as Evo (1.4ton), Scooby (1.4ton), GTR (R34 1.6ton) n etc do hv heavier body than NA cars... Dun forget tht Power to weight ratio play an important role in car racing too! :biggrin:

cyilaw, Hey brader, no problem lar... B18C-R wil not hv hard feeling lar... Hahaha... He is a frenly technical guy!

wah 300hp on a vtec? can? i am also curious. guys/bros. but from the sounds of it...sounded its needs some serious mods man

me also not very adept at cars...both NA n Turbo. any info?

but I have actually also driven a honda civic vctec b4 last time. not modded lah....true the car is light. 1.5 vtec....so u can feel some punch there but after 120km/h on my old car, no steam liao...hahahha

but honestly, i think the old intergra type r engine...soli for i dunno the code name is it b18 R? 200hp i believe is geng if u put into a normal civic. like storm said power to weight ratio....imagine 200 hp on a 1100kg? car? more geng!

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom