Evo 10 TC-SSTgearbox - info needed....

sagaevo

Known Member
Bros,

i just have some questions and curiosity, hope sifus can share out ya:

1.) For Evo 10's SST gearbox oil change, how many liters does it requires for front gearbox and rear differentials? Same as 7.5 GTA/Airtrek or otherwise?
2.) Does it uses only specific-made TC-SST gearbox oil for both front and rear differential (i.e Mitsubishi DiaQueen ATF fluid?)
3.) Any other fluid, i mean from other oil manufacturers/makers that can be used or recommended?
4.) I know this may have been discussed previously - What are the main issues/concerns or faults TC-SST gearbox? Common issues to be specific

And a little offtopic, Evo 10's ecu what i was told by friend, is something call as CANBUS. What is it and how different if we compared Evo 9's ECU here?

Cheers all!!:driver:

Bros,

i just have some questions and curiosity, hope sifus can share out ya:

1.) For Evo 10's SST gearbox oil change, how many liters does it requires for front gearbox and rear differentials? Same as 7.5 GTA/Airtrek or otherwise?
2.) Does it uses only specific-made TC-SST gearbox oil for both front and rear differential (i.e Mitsubishi DiaQueen ATF fluid?)
3.) Any other fluid, i mean from other oil manufacturers/makers that can be used or recommended?
4.) I know this may have been discussed previously - What are the main issues/concerns or faults TC-SST gearbox? Common issues to be specific

And a little offtopic, Evo 10's ecu what i was told by friend, is something call as CANBUS. What is it and how different if we compared Evo 9's ECU here?

Cheers all!!:driver:

Let me help...

SST : massive 7.8L
Transfer case : 0.9L
diff oil : 0.55L

Always recommended to use Mtsubishi Diamond ATF and Queen SSTF1 . However there are claims that since Getrag Ford designed the gearbox, it can support other oils like mobil. So far, some used Torco, Amsoil and redline before.

MMM service uses Torco if I am not wrong. (Will go for 60k service soon, will double confirm )

Main concern,.. HEAT... Same with my CVT Lancer 2008. Always flush the SST oils very 5-7000km if harsh driving ...or install additional oil coolant. Seen one too many SST gearbox spoiled due to lack of maintenance.

Once spoiled, clutch packs can't rectify the problem, need a new one for RM30k +

Planning to get one ? Hehehe... Hope I replied your questions

Let me help...

SST : massive 7.8L
Transfer case : 0.9L
diff oil : 0.55L

Always recommended to use Mtsubishi Diamond ATF and Queen SSTF1 . However there are claims that since Getrag Ford designed the gearbox, it can support other oils like mobil. So far, some used Torco, Amsoil and redline before.

MMM service uses Torco if I am not wrong. (Will go for 60k service soon, will double confirm )

Main concern,.. HEAT... Same with my CVT Lancer 2008. Always flush the SST oils very 5-7000km if harsh driving ...or install additional oil coolant. Seen one too many SST gearbox spoiled due to lack of maintenance.

Once spoiled, clutch packs can't rectify the problem, need a new one for RM30k +

Planning to get one ? Hehehe... Hope I replied your questions

Thank you so, so much mr JL (uncle johnson hehehehe....jgn marah aaa.....hehehehe).... you certainly answer everything....

You mentioned that clutch pack can't rectify the problem and need a new once for rm30k+...this will be the whole gearbox unit? or sort off replacement/assembly kits? And you did mentioned about additional oil coolant....actually you mean oil cooler for the gearbox...am i correct?

Yeahh....plan to get one. I was hunting for a manual unit but its to damn hard to find....:banghead::banghead:

Thank you so, so much mr JL (uncle johnson hehehehe....jgn marah aaa.....hehehehe).... you certainly answer everything....

You mentioned that clutch pack can't rectify the problem and need a new once for rm30k+...this will be the whole gearbox unit? or sort off replacement/assembly kits? And you did mentioned about additional oil coolant....actually you mean oil cooler for the gearbox...am i correct?

Yeahh....plan to get one. I was hunting for a manual unit but its to damn hard to find....:banghead::banghead:

haha.. Yeah I am qualified to be Uncle now.. :P just call me JL

Well, SST have clutch just like normal manual cars. Once it wears out (60-80k KM), will need to change clutch packs.

But, if the problem is overheating or diving like mad, there are SST gearbox damages that cannot be serviced. I seen those personally in KL itself (a lot more in Evo Forums)... that case, only can import new Gearbox or find halfcut (but halfcut also we dont know the condition)

Oil Cooler, yeah.. additional piece OR an upgraded bigger piece for the SST Oil Cooler.. It is located on the Left side (If you view from front is Right) of the front intake grills.

I keep getting overheat warning on my Lancer in Sepang. Havent' tested the EvoX on the tracks yet, will soon...

All the best in your purchase. I have a contact for a Manual GSR 2008 RED Colour. If you want... Yes, mostly in the market is SST and you need to really test the car or know the history of the car. I searched mine for 3 months + and viewed over 6 EvoXs.

Chipping in to what johnsonlam has mentioned earlier, common issues & symptoms with twin clutch transmissions:

1. When u engage reverse gear, it just does not kick in. Need to stick it to neutral and back to reverse
2. Heard about this - but have not seen it with my own eyes. Since TC's gears are lined up 1,3,5 & 2,3,6 - when there are problem with solenoid or sensor, you will have issues engaging one side of the gears.

haha.. Yeah I am qualified to be Uncle now.. :P just call me JL

Well, SST have clutch just like normal manual cars. Once it wears out (60-80k KM), will need to change clutch packs.

But, if the problem is overheating or diving like mad, there are SST gearbox damages that cannot be serviced. I seen those personally in KL itself (a lot more in Evo Forums)... that case, only can import new Gearbox or find halfcut (but halfcut also we dont know the condition)

Oil Cooler, yeah.. additional piece OR an upgraded bigger piece for the SST Oil Cooler.. It is located on the Left side (If you view from front is Right) of the front intake grills.

I keep getting overheat warning on my Lancer in Sepang. Havent' tested the EvoX on the tracks yet, will soon...

All the best in your purchase. I have a contact for a Manual GSR 2008 RED Colour. If you want... Yes, mostly in the market is SST and you need to really test the car or know the history of the car. I searched mine for 3 months + and viewed over 6 EvoXs.

Thanks again JL on your thorough explanation, truly appreciate that....but I'm just curious, how much is the clutch packs? and how many of it we need change? if it all six of 'ems?

and also you mentioned SST gearbox damages that cannot be serviced (or beyond repair)....could you tell examples over what kind damages?

Bottomline is: - TC SST are a little sensitive of its usage. If its being serviced religiously, with proper care and discipline usage by avoid driving like a mad criminal most of times. It should be ok and last better i would say.

I will PM you for the Manual Evo X details soon :)

Chipping in to what johnsonlam has mentioned earlier, common issues & symptoms with twin clutch transmissions:

1. When u engage reverse gear, it just does not kick in. Need to stick it to neutral and back to reverse
2. Heard about this - but have not seen it with my own eyes. Since TC's gears are lined up 1,3,5 & 2,3,6 - when there are problem with solenoid or sensor, you will have issues engaging one side of the gears.

1. Any particular reason why this happens (like clutch jam or gearbox sensor issue or etc)?
2. Like what JL mentioned, this could be caused by the clutch packs perhaps?

Apologies i'm asking too much of question :confused:, but i truthfully appreciate your kind answers very, very much

Evo X Gear Box damages comes from other parts such as the high pressure pump system, many other smaller gears that works directly with the clutch packs. And also the heat from the overheated SST crack the housing.

Clutch packs are around 3 - 5k. If can get high performance one from abroad ship it over, also around the same price.

SST is sensitive. However, it is still very strong and durable, just extra care needed. Always remember to replace the oils according to schedule. Normal city drive.. 30k+ ... track days and touge a lot, always try around 10k or less.

Agree with Phobian.

The hydraulics and mechanicals in the clutch needs to select and reselect the 'possible' next gear that you are going to engage.

When you slow down.. it will be engaging 1st gear and the Twin Clutch gets 2nd gear ready in place. If you suddenly jam into R when you stop, it will take the gears 2 steps to disengage and engage R. compare to N first. 1 second pause... then R. I heard the same and I believe this is how it works too.

Don't play play with this Dedicated Monster :P kekeke

1. Any particular reason why this happens (like clutch jam or gearbox sensor issue or etc)?
2. Like what JL mentioned, this could be caused by the clutch packs perhaps?

Apologies i'm asking too much of question :confused:, but i truthfully appreciate your kind answers very, very much

Answer to both questions - it is due to faulty solenoid/sensor. I was told that the reverse gear issue would be the start of tall tale signs and this is due to either lack of maintenance or using the wrong gear oil. What causes this is due to heat generated from the transmission and cause failures to the solenoid.

You have not seen the kind of question I throw till I drive people up the wall - literally!

JL and Phobian: Thanks once again for your replies. Appreciate it!

In summary, SST box are durable and strong, but its just about taking the extra caution over the maintenance area.

So, the main culprit here is always the dreaded HEAT. Push the box too hard and harsh beyond its limit, it'll give up due to heat buildup and trouble will creep up.

Evo X runs on CANBUS? It's the same as RX8 then. It uses.... well, just read the link below and you'll know what I mean.

What is CAN Bus?

diag_canbus1.jpg

diag_canbus2.jpg

Thanks Stuz!! Now it make senses to my ever-less technical brain here hahaha

Last edited:
SST oil doesnt come cheap, if replaced...clean the filter as well. or replace it with aftermarket.

Sent to my trusted Garage. http://www.facebook.com/acantaautotech
At first wanted to do in Mitsubishi Service center. But they are full till next week.

So... On the SST. It only uses Queens SSTF either SSTF I or SSTF II.
RM 800+ per Can of 4 litres.. and you need 6 litres.. so .. 2 Cans :) (Thats RM 1600+) just for the oil..
And.. SST Oil Filter is around near RM 500 per piece...

So just to maintain SST... you need to spare RM 2000+ every 30,000KM

LSD and Diff are normal... Can use any SAE90 or Stick to Mitsubishi's LSD oil.. that's a few hundred.
And Engine oil... I use Amsoil Dominator Racing oil .. kekeke..

Not too bad.. not as bad as I expected or prepared for.

Oh yeah.. adding one point.. The SST Fluid and Filter.. as only EVO X uses it, it is RARE. Do order and get all these first before servicing...

Top Bottom