E34 525i (M)

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
Morning conti'ers,

Im now contemplating of getting a replacement car...and undecided between Japs and Contis...

Of course before my life was revolved around Japs especially Hondas so naturally my knowledge about continental is almost to none...

Now the price of used car between Japs and Contis not much different..having a budget of between RM25k to RM30k (total laa plus minus) Im looking at BMW E34 or E36...found 1 sexy E34 525i that really cucuk my kkc really bad...price was nice, car was nice...the percentage of me leaning towards this sexy momma is good...

I however would like to ask you all to share with me some knowledge about this E34...I know theres been a lot of similar questions about it (actually can only find 2 thread but none really helpful in my quest)

1) Most boring question. How was the average fuel consumption for an E34 525i Manual? I know it's a 2500cc and not sure which engine the car is using whether is it the old m20b25 or m50...perhaps can share both engine's FC? My route from house to office is mostly 80% LDP only so typically highway...ex heavy footer though

2) Parts. Is there still bountiful of spare parts lying around for this car both recond and new? New is far fetched for a year 1990 but who knows right?

3) Known issues. Be it engine wise,tranny or normal body. What to look out for when hunting for an E34? Whats the usual culprit in bringing down an E34? Rust all normal la right?

Hey thanks a lot mate. Appreciate if you guys could spend some time to stuff knowledge into me brain.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

ouh sorry new update...the car is actually 1991 using M20 engine...thanks thanks

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
1) Most boring question. How was the average fuel consumption for an E34 525i Manual? I know it's a 2500cc and not sure which engine the car is using whether is it the old m20b25 or m50...perhaps can share both engine's FC? My route from house to office is mostly 80% LDP only so typically highway...ex heavy footer though

can't provide you with any facts, but the M20 will be a little thirstier than the M50 since it's also older. not that the 525i in general are very thirsty cars. the 2.5 and above are great cars to drive

2) Parts. Is there still bountiful of spare parts lying around for this car both recond and new? New is far fetched for a year 1990 but who knows right?

no problems with spares at all. new and used

3) Known issues. Be it engine wise,tranny or normal body. What to look out for when hunting for an E34? Whats the usual culprit in bringing down an E34? Rust all normal la right?

Generally no rust issues. apart from certain areas that may have seen better days like under the front fenders / wheel well.

good luck

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang

can't provide you with any facts, but the M20 will be a little thirstier than the M50 since it's also older. not that the 525i in general are very thirsty cars. the 2.5 and above are great cars to drive

no problems with spares at all. new and used

Generally no rust issues. apart from certain areas that may have seen better days like under the front fenders / wheel well.

good luck
Dear Tom,

sorry to 'tumpang' my question here..:biggrin: because I have the similar question.. I'm looking forward to get myself a conti car which my choice is E28 525i or Volvo 740 Turbo.
Basically, the question will be a bout the FC and the maintenance issue.. hope you can help me to choose as I need a comfortable car for my long distance driving with family, thanks.

M3kid

Aug 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Morning conti'ers,

Im now contemplating of getting a replacement car...and undecided between Japs and Contis...

Of course before my life was revolved around Japs especially Hondas so naturally my knowledge about continental is almost to none...

Now the price of used car between Japs and Contis not much different..having a budget of between RM25k to RM30k (total laa plus minus) Im looking at BMW E34 or E36...found 1 sexy E34 525i that really cucuk my kkc really bad...price was nice, car was nice...the percentage of me leaning towards this sexy momma is good...

I however would like to ask you all to share with me some knowledge about this E34...I know theres been a lot of similar questions about it (actually can only find 2 thread but none really helpful in my quest)

Hey thanks a lot mate. Appreciate if you guys could spend some time to stuff knowledge into me brain.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

ouh sorry new update...the car is actually 1991 using M20 engine...thanks thanks
Satanic, U can actually get the part online...its cheaper. Check out BVM Auto for those parts you need. They are on discounts all year round! Very good service apparently.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Call me 012 4769725 if u see DB808 white Honda integra DC2. Car went missing between 20:15 to 22:15 in Pisa, Penang. Tq.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience