Can Wira Pump Ron92 Petrol?

tming77

Anyone here know is that our Wira engine can pump Ron92 petrol? In Malaysia only few brand selling ron92. Caltex, ESSO, Projet and BP if i not wrong. My other car was pumping ron92 caltex as state in the manual, the engine only need ron91, so 92 is more than enuf for my 2nd car... but for wira... anyone know the min grade for the engine?

wira injection right?

some people said...ron92 is not good for the engine:shocked:

wira injection right?

some people said...ron92 is not good for the engine:shocked:
I think no related to injection engine... my 2nd car (toyota wish) was pump RON92 since 3 months ago, no problem at all... cos toyota wish only need grade RON91 for the engine, so 92 for it is more than enuf...

So anyone here know what is the spec for our NATIONAL CAR potong wira? What is the mininum grade of petrol needed?

No problem...just service on time and take are on your engine plug only...
Any petrol put inside potong also will be the same as the engine still 10years back japan engine and japanese engineering very good in their invention...
:marchmellow: Good luck...

ok ok... will try it next tank!!! CALTEX Silver Techron

wouldnt lower RON will caused detonation at long run?which is bad for your engine?read some statement on net about this.i think better stick to current RON97.much better i guess.

Article courtesy of "http://paultan.org"
You might have seen numbers like RON97 and RON92 at your neighbourhood petrol station. Fuel with a RON97 rating is more expensive, RM1.92 per liter at time of writing with the lower RON92 rating going for RM1.88. Have you ever wondered what they mean? Why is RON97 more expensive than RON92, and can you use RON92 to save on fuel costs?

Let’s have a discussion. What petrol do you use regularly, and why do you like your choice of petrol? Or are they all the same to you?

RON97, RON92, who is this RON person?

You might have seen numbers like RON97 and RON92 at your neighbourhood petrol station. Fuel with a RON97 rating is more expensive, RM1.92 per liter at time of writing with the lower RON92 rating going for RM1.88. Have you ever wondered what they mean? Why is RON97 more expensive than RON92, and can you use RON92 to save on fuel costs?

RON stands for Research Octane Number, a rating used to measure a fuel’s knocking resistance in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. Before we attempt to understand this mumbo jumbo, we have to know what knocking is. Knocking is what happens when parts or all of the air-fuel mixture prematurely ignites before the flame from the spark plug can reach it. This can be caused by ignition timing that is too early or engine overheating, where the heat from the cylinder itself causes the mixture to combust before the spark plug can burn the mixture. This causes a decrease in performance and might also harm the engine.

It is a misunderstanding to think that RON97 fuels produce more power than RON92 fuels, even more so with the fact that in reality a higher RON number means the fuel burns less easily! RON refers to the ability of the fuel to resist knocking and nothing else.

By pumping the RON97 into a car which engine only requires the RON92, all you’re going to get is an emptier wallet – hardly counts for performance gains via weight reduction!

Engines are designed to have a minimum RON rating for it’s fuel. Do check your service manual for the minimum RON rating that it requires. For engines that require a minimum of RON92, you might as well pump RON92 fuel and save abit of money since RON92 is cheaper by 4 cents per liter. Another common minimum RON rating is RON95, but since we do not have RON95 fuel in our market, we have to use RON97 fuel for the engine. These engines normally have higher compression ratios, like the one found in the Satria GTI so it needs higher knock resistance to withstand higher compression.

If you find that your engine can use RON92 petrol and decide to save abit of money, do check out if a petrol station’s RON92 petrol is leaded or unleaded. All RON97 petrol is unleaded, but some RON92 petrol might be leaded although this is very very rare. Buy me a teh tarik with the money you save, thanks!

And regarding the statement above that states that some RON92 petrol might be leaded, I read from the Motor Trader forum regarding leaded petrol (posted by Chips Yap, an experienced and respected local guy in the Malaysian car industry):

RON has nothing to do with the condition of the catalytic converter. RON is a measurement of a certain aspect of the petrol.

What is very bad to the catalytic converter is LEAD. If it is in the petrol, the lead will cover the catalyst and 'kill' it.

Since the mid-1990s, all petrol sold at stations in Malaysia have been UNLEADED by law. This was confirmed by someone in ExxonMobil some time back. However, sometimes people may be confused because at the pumps in some small places, the word LEADED may not have been removed or worse, the attendants themselves still do not know that RON92 is already UNLEADED.

So anywhere you pump fuel in Malaysia is okay for a car with a catalytic converter and I think that all new passenger cars introduced since the mid-1990s have had catalytic converters.

For NA, it should be ok. But for turbo engine with lots of power, RON97 is safest.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom