Beware When Selling Your Ride...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
Yet again prevention is advisable before the worst happen.
Sorry to hear bout the lost. Btw could you mention the cars details?! Incase any forumers bump into the ride....

TomicaGTR

Known Member
Jun 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
[H] [K] [S];1063484327 said:
Yet again prevention is advisable before the worst happen.
Sorry to hear bout the lost. Btw could you mention the cars details?! Incase any forumers bump into the ride....
It was RX8 and this incident happened quiet sometimes. Just to share so that we can be more careful when dealing with people that we never know.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
just be careful when meet ppl who we know nothing about them.no just give test drive without any dpayment or friend on ur side.it really dangerous when meet new buyer alone.anyway,wish ur friend car will found back soon...

frootloops

Known Member
May 28, 2009
true..always bring along a few guys with u and never let people test drive the car alone...or just get another car with friends to just follow from behind

Viera Sasaki

Known Member
Feb 17, 2011
Perlis,Malaysia
I guess it's good for me to share this. I'm not sure you guys have heard this or similar before. This incident happened to my friend when he was in the process of selling his car. The story started with he used one of the famous advertisement magazine to advertise his car. Since his car is quite a rare species then not many people interested. Could be loan issue but it was a sport car. Until there was a caller who interested and persistently called him to view the car. My friend who works outside Klang Valley tried to find a slot so that the occasion can be done concurrently with his business trip. Until the day he fixed an appointment to see the "potential buyer" somewhere in Subang. The "potential buyer" he met was 2 guys. 1 about 20+ yrs and another mid age about 50+ yrs. After viewing the car, the younger requested to test drive the car. My friend was sitting at front passenger seat and the old mad sitting right behind him. After 5 min driving the car, the old man took out a knife and pointed it right on his chest. Appealing no to be killed and asking to be freed, he let the robbers to take what ever they want. Lucky he was allowed to take all his valuable stuff except for hand phone. The driver dropped by somewhere and took all the requested stuff from the bonnet where the old man kept pointing the knife to my friend. After driving another 10km, they dropped my friend near toll and ran away with the car. My friend lodged a police report but not much can be done and the car until now not yet discovered. The police asked him whether he had any injuries and will investigate the case. No update on that case until he claimed insurance. So guys, just make sure you are not alone when dealing with someone who interested to buy your car. They could be nice people or "bastards" who never think our hard time and effort getting money to get the car. Just be careful!! Cheers...
How awful... I'm so sorry to hear that. Hmm... I think it might be better for the seller to sit at the back while the buyer was test driving the car, and only one person can do the test drive. At least the seller have more advantage sitting at the back compare to sitting in the front beside the driver, in case in an emergency situation.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
my relative runs a used car business and this is a pretty common case according to him. the best is to request for you to hold the IC of the person (even though it's illegal) and keep it with another person off the car while test driving.

most genuine buyers are still ok from what my relative had mentioned
I wouldn't recommend holding onto someone's MyKad. Only the PDRM and JPN officers can hold someone's MyKad. You can face up to RM20k in fines if the other guy made a report.

Anyway, when it comes to selling cars I usually get friends in who work at car dealers, usually the same friends who sourced my cars in the first place. Let them worry about it, sure there's commissions to be paid but it is a service and your car is their responsibility if left to be sold through their showroom. So far I've avoided buying or selling with individuals, would much rather deal with car dealers I'm familiar with because once you're a regular they pretty much take care of you. I've test driven numerous cars one my own, no one accompanying nor do I leave IC or even car keys. There are car dealers who genuinely provide good service and go the extra mile. Don't risk your safety in this day and age, let them sort it for you.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
no test drive until the loan approved...that way is more easier and straightforward.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
no test drive until the loan approved...that way is more easier and straightforward.
I'm not sure how private seller to private seller deals work but if we buy from showroom, regardless of whatever it is, test drives should be allowed (unless some ridiculously expensive car) but so far for our level of cars etc all fine with no form of commitment. Don't need to talk about those Ferrari etc lah of course

If private seller to private seller, if no test drive unless loan approved - if you were the buyer would you apply for loan for a car you've yet to drive? Doesn't it work both ways? Or perhaps you can drive the prospective buyer in the car and if he's serious he go apply loan then he can test drive? Would a deposit be sufficient in your view?

I had one guy who bought my 350Z through the dealer I left my car with (basically consignment, they makan commission) and he applied for loan under company so use as his company car. Turns out road tax like ridiculously high - something like 10k a year or don't know what. Had to resubmit under his name, etc took a month easily because personal road tax was 4ish k. That sort of hassles I think best dealers settle - they also got lubang for loans etc.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
true also but if u r individual trying to sell off yr ride on yr own, better not to allow test drive until loan approve....its win win, u can tell the buyer if yr ride not up to his expectation, with the approval he can search for any cars same spec and year make.
its for safety cos many buyers or shoppers who are not genuine, they just wanna test power etc....so need extra care...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
true also but if u r individual trying to sell off yr ride on yr own, better not to allow test drive until loan approve....its win win, u can tell the buyer if yr ride not up to his expectation, with the approval he can search for any cars same spec and year make.
its for safety cos many buyers or shoppers who are not genuine, they just wanna test power etc....so need extra care...
I believe that if a buyer was in the market for say an Evo 8, he would already have an idea of how the car drives and what to expect. It's just a question of finding the right car in the best condition and at a price he is willing to pay. In which case, a genuine buyer wouldn't mind not being able to test drive the car provided the seller is willing to allow the car to be inspected by the mechanic of the buyer's choice, of course at the buyers expense. This is while they're waiting for the paperwork to go through etc. I think its a good compromise.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The long awaited Audi TT RS will be going into production. It's rivals?, the Porsche Cayman S and the BMW M3. It's Audi's hope to win the heart of purists with its TT Clubsport concept car design.