As a car guy, do you people have this kind of experience?

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
The experience here refers to... when ever you plan to do something on your car, some other unexpected things occurs which burn more money in your pocket:banghead:

my first experience is when i just bought the car and do notice engine quite old and little sluggish(nut just drive fine and boost well, just sluggish than new).... so i decide to do a major overhaul of it... plan to change the cams to high cams (basically upgrading all engine head component), use back stock block internal with new piston rings and acl bearings etc... ended up on the spot buka engine, wash clean piston check, piston groove crack and engine block bore got bigger, ended up burn pocket buy forged internal sekali gus:banghead:

second experience here happened recently whereby i am upgrading engine management and plan to do dyno tune sekali(my place without 4wd dyno and before this all on the road tuning) , so bought one 2wd GB to change for dyno tune.. during the progress found out my front brake hose already got a more than 90degree bend(luckily no burst yet:banghead:) ... and my clutch gt slippage:banghead: burnt more money to fix cause expect can change gb and done already:banghead: somehow i dont know should happy or sad cause burn money but lucky discovered the brake hose problem before it burst and cause accident:banghead:

lets share our experiences here:itsme:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Buying 2nd hand cars always comes with "surprises". More surprises if the car had been modded, changed owners so many, service and repaired under different workshops, different "style" of repair (largely based on the repair budget). Haphazard car electrical wiring are common problem.

So far, I have once owned a 1970s car. The paintwork looked tired and lots of chips and dent. So, I decided to remove all coat of paint and give it a fresh coat. Sent it to a shop for bodyspray and expect it to kawtim on 2 weeks. Ended up waited 6 months.

Why?

In the process of paint removal, I discovered the car had so many coat of paints, tonnes of body filler and the body repair was so horribly done. Weld-on patches on the car were literally cutouts taken from used paint buckets. On the other hand, I also discovered that some "magard" sifu did the body repair using lead, instead of bodyfiller.

What an experience.....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I agree with bro. ken yeang, on older 2nd hand cars. If need to open up to do something, may find other things that need changing. Since already know not good sure would put in back in, might just fail later.....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hahaha, True bro Vr2turbo......

I sometimes had this wild dream of buying an old bashed up car.....but later discovered some gold bars wedged between seats.....conveniently forgotten by the previous owners. Oldie but (real) Goldie....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hahaha, True bro Vr2turbo......

I sometimes had this wild dream of buying an old bashed up car.....but later discovered some gold bars wedged between seats.....conveniently forgotten by the previous owners. Oldie but (real) Goldie....
Things never comes that easy leh! Got gold bar, stack of money or worse suddenly find drugs inside spare wheel you will be more worried, wondering if the owner (probably underworld) is looking for it.....hahhahahhahahhahahahhahahha:biggrin:

Back to bro. peterj topic. For me, was when one time my timing belt broke. Open up thinking change the valves and top overhaul, but mechanic say the cylinder wall is slightly worn, best since open up total overhaul but short of RM at that time since many parts to change so opt for another engine instead....:driver:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Gold bars..... and i just hope that i can get a cars with hidden performance parts lol

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Long time ago, when the chopshop businesses were relatively new......many engine-transplant owners got surprises when they discovered their imported engines were (unknowingly) loaded with performance parts. Engines were cheap then.
Also, engine transplant were quite uncommon. Tired engine would be overhauled than engine swapping at that time.

Now, chopshop bosses would first check through every parts of the import engine before selling them. Performance parts in the engines command a premium price. No more Easter eggs.

Bafore the Initial-D craze, I could remember 4AGE engines were common items at chopshop, sometimes strewn on the ground, unloved. Today, the price of this engine cost 2-3 times more. Almost everything that associated with AE86 cost an arm and a leg.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Blew a b20 block... Check everything can still use if rebore..rebore then install block guard etc. Bought forged internals.. After install, found the piston sticks out of the block coz the block was skimmed before... Skimmed to the max somemore... Had to buy new block n rebore again n block guard again... Sigh

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Long time ago, when the chopshop businesses were relatively new......many engine-transplant owners got surprises when they discovered their imported engines were (unknowingly) loaded with performance parts. Engines were cheap then.
Also, engine transplant were quite uncommon. Tired engine would be overhauled than engine swapping at that time.

Now, chopshop bosses would first check through every parts of the import engine before selling them. Performance parts in the engines command a premium price. No more Easter eggs.

Bafore the Initial-D craze, I could remember 4AGE engines were common items at chopshop, sometimes strewn on the ground, unloved. Today, the price of this engine cost 2-3 times more. Almost everything that associated with AE86 cost an arm and a leg.
My first engine was not loaded with performance part but was mod before. After open up mechanic say engine head skim before to increase compression. No wonder my second engine lacks the oomph....hahaha

That also depends, not only craze but probably the engine getting less. Even VR4 engine when started was cheaper then went up then down. But getting less as the car already 20 plus years old price go up again....:banghead:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
well, at least mitsu engines are commonly heard of. Parts are still available in Malaysia.

Compared to euro car (like my fren's Fiat Punto)....everytime he goes to spartpart shop or car workshop.......the most common answer he'll get is "Boss, sorry. Very hard to repair you car. I worry spare-part hard to find. If got spare parts, it would be costly or need to order from oversea".

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
well, at least mitsu engines are commonly heard of. Parts are still available in Malaysia.

Compared to euro car (like my fren's Fiat Punto)....everytime he goes to spartpart shop or car workshop.......the most common answer he'll get is "Boss, sorry. Very hard to repair you car. I worry spare-part hard to find. If got spare parts, it would be costly or need to order from oversea".
Yup, I am lucky in the sense some parts are same as Proton too, then we have chop shop and Japan made non ori parts....

Conti cars that is why less people play with them. If Mini still okay if you have the time and money to order from UK, heard still have many parts...:driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
The classic beetle parts still available new.....This explains why there are so many beetle enthusiasts around the world.

BAck to the topic. A fren of mine last week bought a pair of LED H4 lamps, to sport during Hari Raya balik kampung trip. Cost him about RM300+, only to discover that the terminal is 2cm too long to fit into the lamp housing....What a MEGA bummer!

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
If you guys really know me then u will understand why i took 1-4weeks before deciding to buy some acc.
for performance part its lesser than that as most of them is pnp.

why that long?
Because i really want to make sure it fits as i diy install the item.
will go to the acc shop driving the pajero as the pajero keychain got the mr diy free mini measuring tape.
i will measure the item and calculate how much tolerance i allow for mod as i dont like to grind or mod original part or casing.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I like your approach, gunnerzz.

like my boss used to say about car repair.......The best person to repair your car is YOURSELF.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
If you guys really know me then u will understand why i took 1-4weeks before deciding to buy some acc.
for performance part its lesser than that as most of them is pnp.

why that long?
Because i really want to make sure it fits as i diy install the item.
will go to the acc shop driving the pajero as the pajero keychain got the mr diy free mini measuring tape.
i will measure the item and calculate how much tolerance i allow for mod as i dont like to grind or mod original part or casing.
I tried and used to do that before.. until some point.. some seller ask me you buying or not... and the seller say he meet a lot of chinese freak keep asking this and that at the end no buy..malas layan.. lol:banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

Anyone can recommend me a trustable workshop around Subang or Puchong?
Im having problem with my Saga FL. It's already 5 years +.
When im driving, i can hear some cranking sound from the front. Not sure is it suspension or other problem. I plan to bring my car for a check.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience