Anybody experienced this problem???

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

TaPiR

Known Member
Jul 20, 2005
Malaysia
Hello ZTH Honda forumers...firstly Selamat hari Raya....
My car got one problem, this problem happen during this hari raya...so sad but true...The story is like this. I'm otw to my hometown for celebrate hari raya.About middle of travel i feel my car clutch paddle too soft and it become more soften and finally after reached one u turn i tried to shifted the gear but my clutch paddle got stucked and gear cannot be shifted...I have too ask my wife to drive a car meanwhile i push the car to road side. I checked the car engine and finally found my clutch fluid reservoir is empty. Thanks god petronas station is nearby and i rushed to buy DOT4 clutch/brake fluid and top-up into the reservoir. My clutch paddle is looks like back to normal condition and i can proceed my journey to kampung. But after 2-3 days i feel my clutch paddle problem come back again. I checked a clutch reservoir but the level is ok...maintain at working level. Is that problem with clutch pump? or i need to bleed the fluid due to empty reservoir last time?

Thank u in advanced

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Of course you need to bleed them because the air bubbles are the problem,

When your clutch reservoir can empty like that, then obviously you have to check the system for leaks, fix them, then only then do you refill the system.. the clutch pedal stuck on the floor usually means that the hydraulic is near empty/is empty already due to leak or other reasons.

So when you refill, you introduce bubbles into the system.. and although it solves the problem temporarily, cavitation will take effect and you'll get it again.

So, yeah.. you need to bleed it.

TaPiR

Known Member
Jul 20, 2005
Malaysia
thank siro...i already checked through out the system...no leak observed....
i that possibility internal leak? One more Q...how to bleed the system?

Thanks....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
thank siro...i already checked through out the system...no leak observed....
i that possibility internal leak? One more Q...how to bleed the system?

Thanks....
If you know how to bleed brakes, you know how to bleed the clutch system.. the bleed valve is at the gearbox, on the clutch pump. If it's loose, it would cause the same symptom where the pedal doesn't return to it's original position. Unlikely, but worth a look.

To bleed, you need 2 people, unless your hand can reach inside the car to pump the clutch. Hahahaha. :P

The process is a bit lengthy, so either google it, or just get a mechanic to do it for you.

But if clutch reservoir suddenly empty like that.. I think there must be a leak somewhere. The fluid didn't just disappear or evaporate...

Always check the fluid levels before you go on a trip... esp. the brake fluid.

Selamat hari raya to you, and have a safe trip back.. if you're on the road tommorrow.

Edit: here's one for BMW cars, but the process is similar.. But I do advise you to only do it if you understand how to bleed brakes.. because the idea of doing it is similar, to remove bubbles.
First you need to raise the car and support it with Jack Stands for safety. Have a friend carefully sit in the car, pump the clutch pedal for you. The friend should pump about 10 times and the HOLD THE PEDAL DOWN. You are under the car, find the slave cylinder, which should be on the side of the transmission. There will be a small bolt sticking off the side that has a hole in it. When you turn this, it will let clutch fluid exit. (Shiroitenshi: remember to put a hose on the bolt and let it flow into a bottle, if filling an empty system, there'll be a lot of bubbles and fluid exiting, so if you let it flow, it's a waste, use the fluid you collected to keep refilling the reservoir, it will keep needing refills because the fluid is coming out the bleeder nipple along with the air bubbles, and if it's REALLY empty, you need to do it plenty of times to ensure no bubbles remain in the system.)

So have your friend pump the clutch 10-15 times, and hold the pedal down. You open this valve, release the fluid, and then tighten the bolt back down. The person pumping the clutch pedal should NOT move the pedal until the bolt is tight. If he/she moves the pedal while you have the valve open, it will suck air into the system, which is why you are bleeding it anyways.

Keep an eye on the fluid in the mastercylinder, dont let it get too low. Shiroitenshi: This is the part where the fluid you collected in the bottle comes handy, but make sure you pour it in such a way that you don't keep adding air bubbles in the system.
The number of times you pump isn't a set number.. It's done to build up pressure in the system. So you don't really need to follow the number of pumps to the letter.

Last edited:

TaPiR

Known Member
Jul 20, 2005
Malaysia
If you know how to bleed brakes, you know how to bleed the clutch system.. the bleed valve is at the gearbox, on the clutch pump. If it's loose, it would cause the same symptom where the pedal doesn't return to it's original position. Unlikely, but worth a look.

To bleed, you need 2 people, unless your hand can reach inside the car to pump the clutch. Hahahaha. :P

The process is a bit lengthy, so either google it, or just get a mechanic to do it for you.

But if clutch reservoir suddenly empty like that.. I think there must be a leak somewhere. The fluid didn't just disappear or evaporate...

Always check the fluid levels before you go on a trip... esp. the brake fluid.

Selamat hari raya to you, and have a safe trip back.. if you're on the road tommorrow.

Edit: here's one for BMW cars, but the process is similar.. But I do advise you to only do it if you understand how to bleed brakes.. because the idea of doing it is similar, to remove bubbles.

The number of times you pump isn't a set number.. It's done to build up pressure in the system. So you don't really need to follow the number of pumps to the letter.
thank a lot shiro..this is very good explaination about bleeding process...
Now i knew a little bit about the process....

TQ....