Advise/Opinion needed: Mivec or 4G61T conversion

Agl

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Outerspace
Visit site
All sifus and expert,

With a budget of 5k, what is the best option for me to convert my slow car, given these engines as the reference:

- mitsu mivec 1.6 manual
- mitsu 4G61T
- mitsu v6 1.6

Due to the restriction of the law, I have to stick with these options. So now I would like to hear some input/opinion/advise from the fellow sifus and expert in terms of performance and maintenance, which one is the best choice? Some people suggest to opt for the Mivec 1.6 as we can do a bolt on (mivec turbo), some suggest 61T but the engine is a bit old though...

Please advise, thank you in advance.

phantomRX8

Insignificant Fool
Mar 21, 2005
ISS
bro...my suggestion is go for mivec..i was in ur situation 4 years ago and i regret it till

now i didnt do the mivec conversion..now i had sold my wira a/b oredi..so sad..coz got

so much potential..wanna know more bout mivec go to mivec club thread..ask them

where to convrt ur car n wat to modify..hehe..make ur wira fly

bvalve

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
群&#39340
Visit site
dun think of 61t,wasting money and wasting time only.

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
a RM5k budget wont be enuf for a 4g92 mivec conversion..the halfcut alone costs almost 5k (last yr la, but now dunno)..dun forget abt the workmanship costs, spare parts etc..mivec turbos are usually associated with 4g93..but can also be done on 4g92..might cost a bomb tho..since this is a hybrid, if not done properly ur car will even lose out to a stock 92 mivec..

a 4g61t conversion wud require engine mounting modification..dun think jpj allows mounting modifications now..yes this engine is old and might require replacement of a lot of parts..but if u r speed crazy, this engine has potential..my frens 61t in a wira chasis can whack a wira gsr by 1 car length..of cos he has done quite a lot of mods & upped the boost..

6a10 is not recommended if u want performance..but if highway cruising is ur cup of tea, then yes, this is the engine u shud get..i think spare parts are also more difficult to get..but also depends where u are..in kl i think shouldnt be a prob...but here in pg might be a bit difficult..performance parts are also hard to come by..but slap on a 6a12 block and ur car will fly...just dun get caught by jpj...

in terms of performance & reliability, i think 4g91 wud be ur best bet...fuel economy also vr good..91 halfcuts are also relatively new and in pretty good condition..ive seen one with only 15k mileage..engine bay was still shining...

at the end of the day, it all depends on ur preference and the depth of ur pocket..

just my 2cents..

Agl

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Outerspace
Visit site
Wildboar,

Thanks for that piece of advise. Well 5k definately is not enough for the Mivec 4G92 conversion, that's why I came out with another 2 options which is the 61t and the 1.6 v6.

But when I talk to the mech, they recommend me the mivec 1.6, so I was wondering, which option to choose base on the performance and maintenance. I do expect 5k +/- la.

61t conversion is 5k inclusive of halfcut and the workmanship, that's what my mech quoted me.

The wira 61t, is that the one with td05 turbine? or the white color one which always hang out at Mpower?

gsrTurbo9166

500 RPM
Apr 23, 2005
bro save up more to go 4 mivec
61t is too old,very hard to find the spare parts
1.6v6 maintainance is very expensive

so think carefully la

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
first of all i think u shud ask urself a question..do u like the kick of a turbo engine or do u like to rev ur car till redline all the time...u will find ur solution there..

performance: 61t > mivec
maintenance: 61t > mivec

n/a's will never give u the same kick as wat turbos do..the 61t will require more maintenance cos its pretty old..so if u choose this, be prepared to spend on spare parts within the first few months (at least) after conversion..but if u r lucky, u might just get a better conditioned h/cut..

5k for a 61t conversion sounds ok..but im pretty sure it does not include spare parts...61t & 93t h/cut prices skyrocketed when jpj implemented the 25% engine conversion law..2yrs ago, an iswara 1.3 could be converted to vr4 without any hassle..with the new law, came higher demand of the 61t & 93t and hence higher prices..or it cud be the chop shops just trying to make an extra buck..

my frens 61t wira oni uses a TD04L from gsr..also using vr4 airflow...many other mods..its a red wira sedan with black bonnet..a malay chap..

Agl

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Outerspace
Visit site
wildboar said:
first of all i think u shud ask urself a question..do u like the kick of a turbo engine or do u like to rev ur car till redline all the time...u will find ur solution there..

performance: 61t > mivec
maintenance: 61t > mivec

n/a's will never give u the same kick as wat turbos do..the 61t will require more maintenance cos its pretty old..so if u choose this, be prepared to spend on spare parts within the first few months (at least) after conversion..but if u r lucky, u might just get a better conditioned h/cut..

5k for a 61t conversion sounds ok..but im pretty sure it does not include spare parts...61t & 93t h/cut prices skyrocketed when jpj implemented the 25% engine conversion law..2yrs ago, an iswara 1.3 could be converted to vr4 without any hassle..with the new law, came higher demand of the 61t & 93t and hence higher prices..or it cud be the chop shops just trying to make an extra buck..

my frens 61t wira oni uses a TD04L from gsr..also using vr4 airflow...many other mods..its a red wira sedan with black bonnet..a malay chap..
Fair enough Wildboar. Turbo is always my first choice but thanks to the JPJ law, now I only left with a few choices.

So what do you guys think of the mivec turbo? Well, don't get me wrong, not going to convert to mivec and do a bolt on one shot at this moment, future plan la...Any pros and cons?

bvalve

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
群&#39340
Visit site
Agl said:
Any reason behind this?
because i got this engine on my previous car........reason i said waste money n time is because.................

1.halfcut not cheap at all
2.mounting must be modd as i dun like modd mounting.plug n play is the best.
3.parts not easy to find.
4.no potential on modd-------->if u want it fast,need a lot of $$$ to modd.

for my advised,go for mivec is better,then in future u want to put in turbocharge also can.

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
hi there,
If u just want a little bit more power than your 1.3 then go for mivec (but i doubt u can make it with 5k and u might not be even satisfied with power produced in stock form).
if you want cheap power then turbo is the way to go. but also bear in mind, by going turbo u'll need more funds for the 1st conversion as there are many things to change such as handling system and exhaust system which both are necessary for the power u are going to get.
dont really know much about 6A10 but doubt it has much choices of aftermarket performance parts.
4G91 is also not bad for the price you are paying.
but hey, whats the point of converting if you're looking for slight increase in power right?
so my own opinion is to go all out for 61T but make sure your mech knows how to choose a good condition halfcut.
forget about those peeps saying 61T is too old, has a lot of problem and bla bla bla...
bring a good mechanic with you and they will know how to check the condition of the halfcut.
so far i've seen ppl converting halfcuts which has done more than 150000km and are still running fine without even changing the piston rings from the halfcuts.
just stating my opinion and based on what i've seen and experienced. the choice is of course yours :)