Advice On Civic 1.7 VTEC...

Hey guys, I read through quite a lot of the threads here. But I have yet to find what I am looking for, and the search engine doesnt really work as well as I thought. I am actually seeking some advice from you Honda-sifus out there!

I wish to purchase a 2nd-Hand Civic 1.7 VTEC, and I actually have a couple of questions (some might sound trivial and dumb), and was hoping you guys can answer them.

1. Are there any batches of cars, like year 2002/2003 manufactured cars to be avoided? (not to say Honda line is faulty, just wondering)

2. How is the maintainence like? Like per service at Honda Service Centres? Major services / minor services?

3. So far, current Civic 1.7 VTEC drivers out there, any huge issues with your cars? Or is there anything I should check before I purchase a Civic from a 2nd-Hand dealer?

4. The famed question, Fuel Consumption / FC (as you forumners like to call it). I have seen articles on City i-DSI boasting a full tankard of patrol can go up to at least 600++ KM, not sure if it applies for city driving or not though. What about the Civic 1.7? I know it wont be as good, but is there a really big difference?

5. Also, for 2nd-Hand car loans, may I know roughly what are the prices like if my loan tenure is 5 / 7 / 9 years?

6. Any general comments / advice are welcomed too!

Your replies are much appreciated by a noob like me!

Cheers,
Alex.

Last edited:
djl33,

i own 1.7 vtec....in term of fuel, yes it is very save, for city driving and sometimes speeding.

in term of maintenance, for minor service, still consider affordable bu for major service, not yet know the actual cost(hopefully never face it)

Sorry for my ignorance but is the 1.7 VTEC engine in malaysia a B series engine or a D Series one?? We dont seem to get 1.7 civics in NZ

-Personally, anything below 2.0 is good on gas.

-What do you mean by major service?? A bit vague there bro. If you want to change the engine oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs, it's very easy. You can do this yourself at home dude. Don't let people rip you off (unless you're a knob and have no clue what to do)

-as for the question bout how honda civic owners found these cars, well civics are pretty good in my opinion. Have driven eg, ek, ej and the newer 2002 model that you're talking about. In fact the one i drove only had a d series sohc vtec o it was slow as! B16A feels a lot lot quicker.

dude......

very usefull info not just civic 1.7, also EK and used car........

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the feedback. I am close to buying one soon. As of yet, at least I have not heard of any bad comments on the car yet. Which shows for something about Honda's build quality.

Although, it's an entirely different category of a vehicle, but I am quite attracted to the Mitsubishi Colt as well. Maybe I will test drive it before going into further talks on a black Civic 2004 that I went to take a look last weekend.

Camshaft, great site! Really helpful. Now I have additional questions for the seller!

Skalock77, don't we all wish we dont face any major upheaval on our cars! But I have heard, to change the timing belt would be over 1k! O_O!

10KRPM, well actually, I am not so overly concerned with FC, I believe my vanity has overwritten my logic to save money on fuel consumption. Too many Citys and Vioses out there, not attracted to buy a local, or a City or a Vios actually. At least Civics are altogether not so commonly seen:)

Clisa, Wow! Congrats! Hope I'll enjoy my Civic as much as you enjoy yours (when I get it:P)

dennistwc, Hmm, I believe the 2004 one is the facelifted, which actually I dont see much of a difference, other than the front lights? Or am I ignorant?

Thank you all once again, for your replies!

another diff - tail light is crystal light compare to old version + rear spoiler if u r buying rs model

01 civic compare 04 civic got some spec diff also..01 use drum brake at the rear n without anti roll bar at the rear...interior also different colour.

Wondering how many of ZTH people driving this car????? Any one have some nice shot/???????

jovi69,

I also wondering, coz i've a lot 1.7 Users on road - maybe they not joining ZTH.........

there are a lot zthian here owning 1.7 ES...maybe they are shy to report in...haha

for those who own S5A, where actually can get spare part at cheap/reasonable price......

in early years, one stupid mat rempit hit my side mirror....broken..huuhu
now i'm using eg side mirror for a while.....is there any one can offer me or where can i get the parts?

268830999.jpg
[/IMG]

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom