4G92 DOHC Mivec top block conversion

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
My car is currently a 4G92 1.6 SOHC.
Im looking in to upgrading this bugger a little to give a bit more kick.

Is it possible to change my 4G92 1.6 SOHC top block to a 4G92 DOHC 1.6 MIVEC top block, Reuse my bottom block and gearbox, change the TB, intake manifold, ECU, exhaust manifold, and injectors to MIVEC ones?

Btw, how much does a MIVEC 1.6 top block with all other items (ECU, TB, manifolds, etc) cost nowadays?

Last edited:

4G93GTi-R

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Yes 4G92 SOCH can use 4G92 Mivec head...i have see in our market place someone sell complete head mivec with manifold,tb and injector around 1.+k...see for your self..but complete wiring + ecu is rare item now...i have sold this before around 1.6k...if wanna low cost at complete wiring & ecu,use back 4G92 SOCH wiring then use vafc for mivec open or variable resistor...we have done this before..still kick

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Ic ic....interesting.
But i thought vafc is only a vtec controller and can't control mivec? Can e-manage do the job? Do elaborate how it is done please =)
How much different is the dohc mivec wiring from my sohc wiring?
Btw, my current ecu is the mitsubishi one, not the siemens.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Set aside up to RM3000 for the conversion.

Your SOHC runs on MAF the Mivec ecu runs on MAP. No they aren't interchangeable.

Two ways to proceed.

1. Get Mivec ecu all component wiring and plug it in. Make sure you have a mivec crank shaft and mivec pistons because the ecu is tuned to those parts not your stock sohc internals.

2. Forget the Mivec ecu, get a piggy back (E-manage with ignition harness) or just a SAFC to tune fuel and a shift light or 12v signal generator to activate Mivec. Basically you need something that activates via the RPM gauge. As for ignition tune at static or get a SITC.

A VAFC is a variable air fuel converter. Meant to setting VTEC engagement points but can do the same for VVTI and Mivec. It also does what an SAFC does.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
VAFC needs MAP sensors to run dude.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
lucky found this thread.

my questions, mivec block on a 91 head... do i need to mod anything else beside changing timing belts and cam gears to mivecs?

d water hole all correct/ngam one or i need to potong here and there?

ecu is original 91, wiring everything also ori, injector also ori.

pls advise.

V.rut

Jul 25, 2005
Kepong
just plug in the head (all same),use back your timing belt and find a mivec or vtec controller to activated your mivec

skyboy

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
KUL
hi guys.. , i just convert my waja to a mivec 1.6 doch , my question is how does a vafc works? and wats the differ between the new neo safc n vafc? can i gain hp from this? i have a rsm install but theres no difference wats the function like sorry im a newbie

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Neo SAFC does what a SAFC does and what a VAFC does.

VAFC controls your fueling and can also set Mivec/VTEC/VVTI engagement points. The VAFC can also set fueling until 9500rpm i believe unlike the 8500rpm from a SAFC.

wira_tak_laju

4,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2006
my set up is super rojak mivec...head intake t/b block frm ori mivec 1.6..gbox frm local 1.8,ecu and wiring frm 1.8 with matspeed chip programmable,swoosh monster style shift lamp to actuate mivec...air flow sensor 455...laju what..!!!..best to get something like piggyback to tune the air/fuel/igniiton..since i m using ecu with J5 chip,the fuel curve has been remapped accordingly once Mivec kicks in...

wira_tak_laju

4,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2006
dunt go and buy those small cute looking shift lamp as it wont provide enuff current to actuate mivec...most of them are 3v...buat blow saja..the swoosh one is giving u 12v currnt and the set the rpm to around 5.5k rpm..once it illuminates..the mivec will kick in like helll!!!.......

wira_tak_laju

4,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2006
...for the mivec to kick in like hell..get la at least a piggyback..bcos the camlift when mivec kicks in is aroud 288 degrees(CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!!)..So it wants more fuel and air..standad 1.8 ecu saja pon boleh...but fuel is nt enuf...less stim ler..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can i fix the original 4g15p wira(m) 1.5 gearbox in 4g93t??? Coz i bought the halfcut gsr was auto...

What will be the disadvantage??

My fren using 4g15p gearbox in his 4g92 mivec, he say can use, but will decrease the power and cant always high rev coz will easily bust the gearbox.. is it true??

Some pro help me pls??? thanks~~:X-:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience