20v bt wif svt piston

alantan350

Known Member
Apr 5, 2007
dun always hear ppl say, search the web and see yourself, u want more compression and more power go for Toda piston 11.6:1 compression (286.49g), ori backtop 11:1 compression (293.57g).

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
dun always hear ppl say, search the web and see yourself, u want more compression and more power go for Toda piston 11.6:1 compression (286.49g), ori backtop 11:1 compression (293.57g).
You are right! If you plan to slight upgrade the compression ratio. I think I do have few solution to share:
1. Use 0.4mm metal gasket (compared to OEM = 0.8mm)
2. Skim about 0.2mm the head or block

boode

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
my fren used svtop wit blaktop head..coz the comprasion slighter higer cmpare to svtop head...

Sam-Q

Jan 16, 2011
Vic, Australia
my fren used svtop wit blaktop head..coz the comprasion slighter higer cmpare to svtop head...
I wrote that article linked above and I can tell you that running silvertop pistons with a blacktop head lowers the compression ratio not raises it

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
I wrote that article linked above and I can tell you that running silvertop pistons with a blacktop head lowers the compression ratio not raises it
hi sam,
didn't realize that you've joined ZTH...
A BIG WELCOME....:love:

can I know what's your current setup?
I'm still looking at putting in COP as per discussed in Club4AG...
however due to the current situation, probably upgrading to Haltech S500 at the same time...
scare to run DLI on stock ecu...
btw, i'm having emanage blue...

to thread owner...
this is one of the thing I've think of but decide otherwise after further search in Club4AG and 9000rpm forums...
yes, it does lowers compression...

however all things will depends on your overall setup actually, which is probably why you mentioned that your friend setup is fast...
as normally people will put in metal gasket and probably skim a bit the head...
so it's a compromise somewhat...:hmmmm:

Last edited:

boode

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
sorry sifoo...need to clarify here...using svtop blok wit blaktop head and piston :)

Sam-Q

Jan 16, 2011
Vic, Australia
hi sam,
didn't realize that you've joined ZTH...
A BIG WELCOME....:love:

can I know what's your current setup?
I'm still looking at putting in COP as per discussed in Club4AG...
however due to the current situation, probably upgrading to Haltech S500 at the same time...
scare to run DLI on stock ecu...
btw, i'm having emanage blue...

to thread owner...
this is one of the thing I've think of but decide otherwise after further search in Club4AG and 9000rpm forums...
yes, it does lowers compression...

however all things will depends on your overall setup actually, which is probably why you mentioned that your friend setup is fast...
as normally people will put in metal gasket and probably skim a bit the head...
so it's a compromise somewhat...:hmmmm:
thanks for the welcome, I was already a member when I found this thread. I can't get enough technical info ever so I go on every forum!

I currently run a simple silvertop that I modified the head and use a bottom end that has been rebuilt including arp rod bolts. I would of liked to of used the blackto head I extensively ported but because someone didn't run filters before I got it the seats are all damaged.

Now back to whats in this thread:

Some people have run 0.5mm gaskets and I don't know how they get away with it, perhaps they don't rev as hard as I do. Running 0.4mm and you must be getting to a point where the pistons have got to be touching the head. The blacktop is also potentially more risky as it may have more rod stretch.. I don't know though.

It does beg the question of how high to go, unless it's for an alcahol based fuel like E85 or 300 degree cams then the original compression is already quite high at 11:1. Using a 0.8mm gasket takes it to a theoretical 11.5:1 but just don't expect to get much out of doing so.

As a rough rule there usually isn't any point going to aftermarket pistons unless it's a pretty serious build.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

sorry sifoo...need to clarify here...using svtop blok wit blaktop head and piston :)
ah I see, well it's the same block so your not changing anything

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
yup... aftermarket price for piston is too high...
that's the reason why the original oversize 0.5mm is sufficient for my street built...
if you already have ST engine around then another decison is whether BT or ST rod would be best...:hmmmm:
my suggestion is to plan your route...

i've post my built in...:proud:
AE111 Owners Club Forum

Sam-Q

Jan 16, 2011
Vic, Australia
well it's not the price so much as the lack of need. If the aftermarket pistons are not significantly lighter then why not use standard? As I said previously using a 0.8mm gasket can raise the compression if wanted and as a bonus reduces the quench area height making the chamber more theoreticly efficient in combustion. I also think that the higher dome shape also divides the flame front more which amplifies the flawed shape of a 5V chamber design.

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
well it's not the price so much as the lack of need. If the aftermarket pistons are not significantly lighter then why not use standard? As I said previously using a 0.8mm gasket can raise the compression if wanted and as a bonus reduces the quench area height making the chamber more theoreticly efficient in combustion. I also think that the higher dome shape also divides the flame front more which amplifies the flawed shape of a 5V chamber design.
possible but i'm not convince...
hence i've tried the 'groove' thingy...:biggrin:

seems to work fine with my setup...:burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If the GT-R signifies Nissan's Innovation, the 350z signifies their heritage, then the Silvia (or the 240sx or the 200sx or the 180sx) is the model that signifies their youth. Since the famous (relatively) low cost FR sport coupe ended production in August of 2002.

(artist rendering, not actual car, by Best Car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience