KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 4 — Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail (picture) today confirmed only rank-and-file servicemen were involved in the scandalous theft of the two F-5E jet engines two years ago, saying they would be prosecuted soon. Police had said three airmen and a company agent are the only suspects in the audacious crime that spotlighted lax security in the country’s military installations.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s response that investigations were ongoing after two years had immediately attracted charges of a cover-up from opposition politicians. Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan’s claim that only rank-and-file airmen were involved had also invited ridicule.
The RMAF had also denied that a brigadier-general and 40 other airmen sacked for incompetence last year had anything to do with the theft.
Government officials have declined to identify the cargo’s destination, but Western diplomats closely tracking the situation said that the engines were destined for Iran, which has been under a US trade embargo since 1995 and is now under global scrutiny because of its refusal to suspend its nuclear enrichment programme. The police later said the engines are allegedly in Argentina.