True cost of maintaining a sports car? GTR, Z, Merc SLK

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Exactly! But traditionally, the Italians are famous for being exotic. The badge alone is a head turner. Even when some people decide to stick the badge on Proton, people will take a pic of it an post around :rofl:.
I hate to say this but by being cheap and still managed to stay ahead of those exotics offering, the GTR aka R35 actually set the benchmark and awakened the traditional giant like Ferrari and Porsche.

Btw, buying any car is more of an individual preference. Some prefer the exotic badge of Lambos, Zondas or Ferraris or the Porsches. Some other prefer the prestige in Ms, AMGs, Bentley or Rs. Other prefer the brutality of GTR and Venoms. Some other emphasize on handling against raw power and decided to have fun in MRs, Elise or MXs and the rest settled for loud turbo spooling in Scooby and Evos :driver:.
Choose one which suit your driving style, then, budget . I was choosing driving style over budget as you could have few car with different badges and driving configuration within budget range.

I saw before Saga FLX with Ferrari badge in front and back. It has a Mugen Civic Spoiler at the back and a sticker at the trunk which makes the lamp looked like BMW 3 Series. I did take a picture of that car :rofl:

In my opinion, Porsche is something else compared to Ferrari and Lambo. The technology used in Porsche cars are certainly amazing and it never fails to impress me. Look at their lap times achievements. Definitely beat many Lambos and Ferraris on track. Furthermore, most Porsches are usually practical enough to be driven as a daily. The new 911 Carrera S had a pretty good fuel consumption for a 3.8 litre sports car and yet it offers power. Not to mention, Porsche cars are well known to be luxurious and comfortable as well. You can't really find much luxury, comfort and good fuel consumption in most Ferrari or Lamborghini. Though Porsche does look less intimidating and exotic compared to Ferrari or Lambo. One more point, Porsche cars are cheaper than Ferrari and Lambo too. Performance wise, Porsche is not to be underestimated. 911 GT3 RS 4.0 produces 500hp from a 4.0 litre NA Flat 6 engine. That's more than 100hp per litre already. The 997 Porsche 911 Turbo S manages a 0-100kmh time in around 2.6-2.7 seconds (according to wikipedia). 2.6-2.7 seconds from 0-100 is already faster than an Aventador, 458 Italia, 599 GTB and etc.

So, that's why I don't really treat Porsche as the same category with Ferrari and Lamborghini. I feel that Porsche is already in a whole new level. Pardon me if I said anything wrong or offensive at above. It's just my humble opinion.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Ah yes, the Cayman. A car I could really love. Starts at rm500k too plus can be used as a daily driver.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I saw before Saga FLX with Ferrari badge in front and back. It has a Mugen Civic Spoiler at the back and a sticker at the trunk which makes the lamp looked like BMW 3 Series. I did take a picture of that car :rofl:

In my opinion, Porsche is something else compared to Ferrari and Lambo. The technology used in Porsche cars are certainly amazing and it never fails to impress me. Look at their lap times achievements. Definitely beat many Lambos and Ferraris on track. Furthermore, most Porsches are usually practical enough to be driven as a daily. The new 911 Carrera S had a pretty good fuel consumption for a 3.8 litre sports car and yet it offers power. Not to mention, Porsche cars are well known to be luxurious and comfortable as well. You can't really find much luxury, comfort and good fuel consumption in most Ferrari or Lamborghini. Though Porsche does look less intimidating and exotic compared to Ferrari or Lambo. One more point, Porsche cars are cheaper than Ferrari and Lambo too. Performance wise, Porsche is not to be underestimated. 911 GT3 RS 4.0 produces 500hp from a 4.0 litre NA Flat 6 engine. That's more than 100hp per litre already. The 997 Porsche 911 Turbo S manages a 0-100kmh time in around 2.6-2.7 seconds (according to wikipedia). 2.6-2.7 seconds from 0-100 is already faster than an Aventador, 458 Italia, 599 GTB and etc.

So, that's why I don't really treat Porsche as the same category with Ferrari and Lamborghini. I feel that Porsche is already in a whole new level. Pardon me if I said anything wrong or offensive at above. It's just my humble opinion.
You Porsche fanboy. :biggrin:

I personally am a Lambo fanboy so challenge accepted! :thefinger:

The Aventador is the only 'real' Lambo that was designed with the pure intention of going fast. 0-100 in 2.9s will give the 911 Turbo S a run for its money. 4WD vs 2WD and flappy paddle vs gearstick. In the end it'll all depend on the driver. But on track my money's on the Lambo to go fast, and on the Porsche to have pure unadulterated fun.

All other Lambos were flamboyant ogasms that were designed to turn heads perhaps with the exception of the Murcie SV which was diabolically wide and impractical in comparison to the Aventador. People don't buy Lambos just so they can take corners in insane speeds, you buy a Lambo for flair and that awesome V10/V12 noise.

But we're digressing btw. Hehe

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
but u have to remember brader..if u buy recond one,there will be no warranty..rosak here and there u have to bare it urself..rosak same as proton parts still ok..but here u talk about audi..better buy new one..n the rate of labour charge will be triple if u send recond car for service at SC..
Some reconds are quite good in condition. Unlike 2nd hand cars that are on sale in Malaysia. So
fat there is no problem with my cousin's TTS.

Anyway, if u can afford a Brand New TT, u can afford to maintain a TTS even there were problems.
Some want hassle free, then by all means get a Brand New TT and new cars doesn't really guarantees problem free.

If possible, aim TTRS better. But even if you drive TTRS on outside, common people would thought or say something like 'Apalah, TT saje. Ape nak berlagak' or 'Look, here's another noob with cheap Audi sports car'. Same case for people who owns genuine AMG or BMW M cars. Not many recognizes their potential and power.

I once encountered a genuine BMW X6M and nobody gives a damn about the car at all. Every passerby just simply ignores it. In another case at another time, I saw a Z4 before passing by and parked at a nearby parking lot It somehow managed to grab the attention of many people who are sitting in a nearby restaurant. :banghead:
Can't blame them, not many people are actually a car enthusiast, to them they are attracted more on design rather than what's under the hood or what can the car do. Drive a BMW 335i to some
people's house, to them they will just think is a normal BMW 3 series Coupe or drive a BMW 1 Series M Coupe and they will say, huh? 1 Series only ma, not 3 series also. :biggrin: :rofl:

The Aventador is the only 'real' Lambo that was designed with the pure intention of going fast. 0-100 in 2.9s will give the 911 Turbo S a run for its money. 4WD vs 2WD and flappy paddle vs gearstick. In the end it'll all depend on the driver. But on track my money's on the Lambo to go fast, and on the Porsche to have pure unadulterated fun.

All other Lambos were flamboyant ogasms that were designed to turn heads perhaps with the exception of the Murcie SV which was diabolically wide and impractical in comparison to the Aventador. People don't buy Lambos just so they can take corners in insane speeds, you buy a Lambo for flair and that awesome V10/V12 noise.

I'm a Ford Boy...:rofl: Ford Mustang is always the one that I love. :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ah yes, the Cayman. A car I could really love. Starts at rm500k too plus can be used as a daily driver.
Since the new Cayman is not available here yet, picking the new Boxster is probably better and it's cheaper too.

Err... 911 Turbo S is a 4WD car....
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe the info at wikipedia is incorrect but it says 2.7 seconds from 0-100kmh in 911 Turbo S which is slightly faster than Aventador.

But of course, you are right about why people buy Lambo. For the noise and the attention it can generate at public. And also a symbol of wealth. I'm not saying Lambos are slow but it is just that they are not the fastest out there unlike what many(mostly those who don't know about cars) have wrongly perceived. No offence here. Everyone have their own different liking and interest. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Some reconds are quite good in condition. Unlike 2nd hand cars that are on sale in Malaysia. So

Anyway, if u can afford a Brand New TT, u can afford to maintain a TTS even there were problems.
Some want hassle free, then by all means get a Brand New TT and new cars doesn't really guarantees problem free.

Can't blame them, not many people are actually a car enthusiast, to them they are attracted more on design rather than what's under the hood or what can the car do. Drive a BMW 335i to some
people's house, to them they will just think is a normal BMW 3 series Coupe or drive a BMW 1 Series M Coupe and they will say, huh? 1 Series only ma, not 3 series also. :biggrin: :rofl:

If I am not wrong, there are only 3 officially imported 1 Series M Coupe at here. Maybe that is what the 3 owners will experience when they drive it out. If they met a Z4, people would surely thought that the Z4 is the better car and the more expensive one. Seriously, if you drive a M3 out here with the loud exhaust note, people would probably think what ah beng/lala that is driving a souped up 3 series coupe (some might thought that M3 is a souped up 320i coupe) :rofl: M3 Sedan owners even worst, no one even gives a look at you.

Or if you have C63 AMG and you decided to go and refill petrol. 6.2 litre engine sure refilling petrol will take quite a while with that large tank inside. People would think "Eh, why that C class fill petrol also take so long. Smuggling petrol with larger modified fuel tank in the boot ah?" :rofl:

You like Ford Mustang? I thought your favorite is Supra? :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Since the new Cayman is not available here yet, picking the new Boxster is probably better and it's cheaper too.

Err... 911 Turbo S is a 4WD car....
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe the info at wikipedia is incorrect but it says 2.7 seconds from 0-100kmh in 911 Turbo S which is slightly faster than Aventador.

But of course, you are right about why people buy Lambo. For the noise and the attention it can generate at public. And also a symbol of wealth. I'm not saying Lambos are slow but it is just that they are not the fastest out there unlike what many(mostly those who don't know about cars) have wrongly perceived. No offence here. Everyone have their own different liking and interest. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

If I am not wrong, there are only 3 officially imported 1 Series M Coupe at here. Maybe that is what the 3 owners will experience when they drive it out. If they met a Z4, people would surely thought that the Z4 is the better car and the more expensive one. Seriously, if you drive a M3 out here with the loud exhaust note, people would probably think what ah beng/lala that is driving a souped up 3 series coupe (some might thought that M3 is a souped up 320i coupe) :rofl: M3 Sedan owners even worst, no one even gives a look at you.

Or if you have C63 AMG and you decided to go and refill petrol. 6.2 litre engine sure refilling petrol will take quite a while with that large tank inside. People would think "Eh, why that C class fill petrol also take so long. Smuggling petrol with larger modified fuel tank in the boot ah?" :rofl:

You like Ford Mustang? I thought your favorite is Supra? :biggrin:
JDM is Supra, Continental is Mustang :biggrin: Which is hard to afford one. :frown:
So Supra, is an easier alternatives.

Can't blame them for thinking some M3 as normal Sedan BMW with just emblems. Too many wannabes out there that made others think that way.

Take Honda Civic for example. Some of my friends say, wow Honda Civic Type R wor...
I told them is not, just change emblems with Type R bodykit.

I say look at the brakes already fail. Normal brake calipers and not even brembo where some I know can totally convert it.

Mugen RR kitted Civic is even more :banghead: :stupid:

Not fast so have to try to look fast :confused:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
JDM is Supra, Continental is Mustang :biggrin: Which is hard to afford one. :frown:

Can't blame them for thinking some M3 as normal Sedan BMW with just emblems. Too many wannabes out there that made others think that way.

Take Honda Civic for example. Some of my friends say, wow Honda Civic Type R wor...

I say look at the brakes already fail. Normal brake calipers and not even brembo where some I know can totally convert it.

If you're in USA, for sure you will be driving Mustang now. Maybe Shelby GT500 Super Snake also can, haha.

M3 Sedan had a different front light. The M3 Sedan had the same front light with 3 Series Coupe. The usual 3 Series sedan had a different front light design.

I saw some Civic Type R wannabe with brembo plastic cover on their standard caliper. From far, it may look convincing but when you're near, you can see the brembo is actually a cover and when you look inside the interior, automatic transmission... However, I once saw a Civic FD selling at mudah saying that it is fully converted from standard 2.0 to Type R. Selling around 90k or 80k like that. With K20A, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes and manual transmission. :adore: Probably we'll see more of these after a few more years later where FD2R halfcuts become more common and affordable.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

I used to love Mustang too. From the GT2 PS1 that era.
Then, i saw the GTR34. Everything changed. :biggrin:

If you're in USA, for sure you will be driving Mustang now. Maybe Shelby GT500 Super Snake also can, haha.

M3 Sedan had a different front light. The M3 Sedan had the same front light with 3 Series Coupe. The usual 3 Series sedan had a different front light design.

I saw some Civic Type R wannabe with brembo plastic cover on their standard caliper. From far, it may look convincing but when you're near, you can see the brembo is actually a cover and when you look inside the interior, automatic transmission... However, I once saw a Civic FD selling at mudah saying that it is fully converted from standard 2.0 to Type R. Selling around 90k or 80k like that. With K20A, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes and manual transmission. :adore: Probably we'll see more of these after a few more years later where FD2R halfcuts become more common and affordable.
Ya weh, ur new BLM money can buy some 2nd hand Mustang dy.
Nowadays m3 looked nice but they the orgasm towards the looks fades quickly.
If it's Civic Mugen Kit, it's bloody awesome.
I love the 4th brake light placement.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Yes, but most of it are just wannabes for now. Not many are fully convert. That converted one I saw selling as well at Mudah. But then CR-Z owners also are targeting on Type R K20A

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom

Thats y i choose to debagded so ppl will keep guessing whether its a real ///M cars or wannabe with loud exhaust haha....keep ppl guessing is better than being label as wannabees with fake emblem :thefinger:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes, but most of it are just wannabes for now. Not many are fully convert. That converted one I saw selling as well at Mudah. But then CR-Z owners also are targeting on Type R K20A
CRZ is good. Lightweight(if remove the hybrid parts) and it comes with a 6 speed manual transmission. 9k RPM in K20A CRZ sure sounds nice. A total contrast of the going green concept in a hybrid. :rofl:

By the way, I've seen Civic ES (previous generation before FD) selling at mudah with K20A inside. Dashboard and engine taken from DC5. But I wonder, why not stick to EP3 instead? At least it is Civic dashboard inside a Civic.

Thats y i choose to debagded so ppl will keep guessing whether its a real ///M cars or wannabe with loud exhaust haha....keep ppl guessing is better than being label as wannabees with fake emblem :thefinger:
So, you're driving BMW? Which one? But genuine M cars have a larger brake caliper even though earlier models have unmarked brake caliper.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
CRZ is good. Lightweight(if remove the hybrid parts) and it comes with a 6 speed manual transmission. 9k RPM in K20A CRZ sure sounds nice. A total contrast of the going green concept in a hybrid. :rofl:

By the way, I've seen Civic ES (previous generation before FD) selling at mudah with K20A inside. Dashboard and engine taken from DC5. But I wonder, why not stick to EP3 instead? At least it is Civic dashboard inside a Civic.

So, you're driving BMW? Which one? But genuine M cars have a larger brake caliper even though earlier models have unmarked brake caliper.
I think the hybrid motor helps the torque too.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
Izso, fantastic reply!

Right now I am looking at the Peugeot RCZ, SLK and the TT. All European. The only Asian rides are the370z that comes to mind.
I know a lot of ppl have this "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" mentality but I believe cash is king. I can save a lot of money if I ask the right questions and make the right choices.
trust me, your dont want SLK/RCZ
they are nothing different other than 2 door. I drove brand new SLK350 for 2 weeks, every single day, i felt this car getting even stupider.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Nah, don't think the integration of a K20 into a CRZ is as straight forward as it seems initially.

Most are actually going the supercharger route.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
trust me, your dont want SLK/RCZ
they are nothing different other than 2 door. I drove brand new SLK350 for 2 weeks, every single day, i felt this car getting even stupider.
Unless it is a SLK55 AMG. Then maybe with that, you will have a different experience.

Nah, don't think the integration of a K20 into a CRZ is as straight forward as it seems initially.

Suprafanatics gave the idea :biggrin: Supercharge it? Around how much hp can be obtained that way?

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I agree with you.
Porsche is definitely above the Prancing Horse or Raging Bull in handling department, which is one of the most important aspect of the car. A well balance car. They all fall into same bracket as 'exotic' though.
Again, it's just a matter of individual's brand preference. I never come across a Ferrari or Lambos who did not rev their V8 or V12 engine so loud(as the sound is so orgasmic :biggrin:), be it on the road or stationery. While I have seen many Porsche in their flat 6 drive silently, regardless of young or old driver.
Porsche are for the purist.
While those exotics gather in Pavillion, I see most of the people are taking their picture next to Lambos or Ferraris with Porsche, a distant 3rd. Maybe because the Ferrari is in Red which is a prosperous colour while the Lambos in Yellow / white while the few Porsche are in Black / silver.
As for myself, I prefer the Evora for it's handling prowess and perhaps, the reliability of Toyota. Not to mentioned the 2+ tiny2 seat. Till then, I need to work smart for another 3 years to get one. By the time, there might be already an incarnation of R35 in R36 or Evolution in Revolution...lol.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I agree with you.
Porsche is definitely above the Prancing Horse or Raging Bull in handling department, which is one of the most important aspect of the car. A well balance car. They all fall into same bracket as 'exotic' though.
Again, it's just a matter of individual's brand preference. I never come across a Ferrari or Lambos who did not rev their V8 or V12 engine so loud(as the sound is so orgasmic :biggrin:), be it on the road or stationery. While I have seen many Porsche in their flat 6 drive silently, regardless of young or old driver.
Porsche are for the purist.
While those exotics gather in Pavillion, I see most of the people are taking their picture next to Lambos or Ferraris with Porsche, a distant 3rd. Maybe because the Ferrari is in Red which is a prosperous colour while the Lambos in Yellow / white while the few Porsche are in Black / silver.
As for myself, I prefer the Evora for it's handling prowess and perhaps, the reliability of Toyota. Not to mentioned the 2+ tiny2 seat. Till then, I need to work smart for another 3 years to get one. By the time, there might be already an incarnation of R35 in R36 or Evolution in Revolution...lol.
I once went to Pavillion before and i saw F430, F430 Spider, 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo Cabriolet parked at there. And, like what you said, many people are taking pictures with the F430 and most people ignored the 911 Turbo. I did the opposite and took a picture with the 911 Turbo :biggrin:
Lotus cars are renowned for their good handling. But I feel that they are a little bit small and most of them are having a very track car oriented interior which is not really that comfortable for daily use. If the Lotus cars are cheap, then it can be forgiven but considering the hefty price tag you paid for a brand new Lotus, I expect it to be more well equipped inside. Lotus is a good track car but it is not really an all rounder car.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Helps only until the battery runs out and is gonna be just normal 1.5L 2 door car.

Yup is not a plug & play to transplant a K20A, most are opt for Superchargers instead.

Unless it is a SLK55 AMG. Then maybe with that, you will have a different experience.

Suprafanatics gave the idea :biggrin: Supercharge it? Around how much hp can be obtained that way?
Depends on how much you willing to spend :biggrin:
Supercharger kits from HKS and Jackson Racing available for the CR-Z.
Basic ones that I see reaches 140HP with the kit.

But like i said depends on how much u willing to spend. More upgrades for the car.

Here is some read for you to have a look. :biggrin: Up to 300PS also got but additional mods of course.

HKS Europe - News

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product_db/supercharger/db/12133