here we go

jesam

Known Member
Jul 8, 2015
cyprus
Well time to get serious full engine rebuild to make super strong for next phase the aim at the moment is to get to 500bhp and yes before anyone says the the gearbox won't take it you are right i am going to manual 5 speed so lots of pics to come :driver:

if anyone has done the manual conversion any information on how would be much appreciated

Attachments

jesam

Known Member
Jul 8, 2015
cyprus
So todays mission was to tear down engine so we could get the block and head to the machine shop .and it all went well the internals were all in very good condition but we dont need them any more as all new is going back in.but was nice to see that the engine was in good shape so if you regularly do the service it pays off in the end :nurse:

Attachments

jesam

Known Member
Jul 8, 2015
cyprus
Well got the block and head back from machine shop then cleaned and cleaned again then all new acl bearings manley pistons and rods arp bolts then the slow and steady task of rebuilding check and double check everything going for super tight tolerance s .so all new valves tomei new springs tomei and titanium retainers tomei and cams and pulles which i all ready had so we are close to finishing the engine new oil pump as well and water pump

Attachments

Salmaan

May 13, 2009
Kisumu, Kenya
Hi Jesam, hope all is going well with your upgrade. I have some advice regarding the conversion from auto to manual as i completed mine early this year. I had used a guide to convert the Evo 7 GTA from auto to manual and during my conversion i found a few things were different.

Basically you cant use the evo 7 driveshafts as they thicker than the the Airtrek ones at the hub, the airtrek ones fit in the manual gearbox.

biggest issue was clutch pedal mounting as the dashboard needs to come out and quite abit of drilling needed, as well as welding or bolting to make the pedal mount rigid and prevent flexing.

Handbrake has been relocated to the tunnel just beside the drivers seat front mount and is hand operated. gear selector cables was easy in my install as the gear lever is relocated to between the seats.

u will need the following parts.

-Complete clutch System, Incuding piping, master and slave cylinders, pedal and mount.
-gear lever and mount, with both selector cables.
-gearbox mount for the manual gearbox.
-handbrake (depending on where you mount it the factory fitted cable can be used).
-Manual brake pedal and its mounting bracket.

The Transfer case, drive shafts airtrek ones used.

Wiring related - reverse gear sensor, speed sensor and handbrake lighting switch.

What i did since i am running an aftermarket ecu i removed the entire oem wiring harness, stripped it and removed all wires that i didnt need, auto gearbox related, MAF, fuel pressure, boost control etc etc. its very time consuming and alot of patience needed.

As for the gearlever location we drilled new holes in the centre tunnel and used 8 inch threaded rods, so gear selector can be moved up or down to suit your driving position, right no with elebox resting on centre armrest the hand comfortably sits on the gear knob.

I dont have many pics during the install but i can send you some "after" pics.

Another thing is make sure the flywheel bolts are not too long as they tend to stretch after a while and flywheel starts flapping around....I am running an after market crankshaft so maybe same thing may also happen to OEM cranks.

I hope this may help abit, but if any advise needed please do not hesitate to ask. Best of Luck in your upgrade/conversion.

jesam

Known Member
Jul 8, 2015
cyprus
Hey salmaan many thanks on your post you are bang on i to did the centre tunnel gear shifter and hand brake and yes the clutch pedal is a bit tricky. I had to change the rear gearbox mount as the gearbox i used was an evo 9 RS the car is now running at about 400 hp but it needs tuning on the dyno for best results and have to upgrade my turbo but its the best thing to do with the car go manual car now drives like an evo currently running at 1.7 boost

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Kia Motors America (KMA) displayed its sporty new concept vehicle, the Spectra5 SX concept, at this year’s SEMA Show today in Las Vegas. A product with influences from KMA’s design team, the Spectra5 SX sets the stage for future concept and production vehicles to be shown throughout the upcoming auto show season by putting into action some of the styling cues that will soon become part of Kia’s new...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience