Why GTRs are so good (and don't need soul)

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
That R35 soul thread made me think a bit about why I love GTRs so much.

Basically I first came into Skyline ownership because of their reputation and those afterburner rear lights. So I bought an R33 GTS.

After that, I really learnt about GTRs. I really really couldn't help myself and bought an R33 GTR but it was not meant to be and had to sell it.

In 2004, me and my wife went to visit her friend in Damansara Heights. Her dad had a Lambo Murcielago in the porch and I just admired it so much. It cost well over 2 million in those days (it was bought brand new).

So I immediately chose a Murcielago as my performance benchmark.

So here are some reasons why I love GTRs:

1. Can be easily tuned to match or beat the performance of a Murcielago:ciao:

2. Cost much much less than a Murcielago:biggrin:

3. Even tuned to beat a Murcielago, it can be driven daily:biggrin:

4. It has seats in the back for my kid or friends to come along:biggrin:

5. It even has a lot more racing heritage than a Murcielago:idea:

6. It can be serviced or fixed at several garages in Sunway without bankrupting me:biggrin:

But of course, a Murcielago has much more PASSION & SOUL...did you know Murcielago is the name of a famous bull that was extremely difficult to kill by bullfighters?

Anyway, I'm visiting Italy next week, hope to see many Italian sportcars.:driver:

Last edited:

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
That R35 soul thread made me think a bit about why I love GTRs so much.

Basically I first came into Skyline ownership because of their reputation and those afterburner rear lights. So I bought an R33 GTS.

After that, I really learnt about GTRs. I really really couldn't help myself and bought an R33 GTR but it was not meant to be and had to sell it.

In 2004, me and my wife went to visit her friend in Damansara Heights. Her dad had a Lambo Murcielago in the porch and I just admired it so much. It cost well over 2 million in those days (it was bought brand new).

So I immediately chose a Murcielago as my performance benchmark.

So here are some reasons why I love GTRs:

1. Can be easily tuned to match or beat the performance of a Murcielago:ciao:

2. Cost much much less than a Murcielago:biggrin:

3. Even tuned to beat a Murcielago, it can be driven daily:biggrin:

4. It has seats in the back for my kid or friends to come along:biggrin:

5. It even has a lot more racing heritage than a Murcielago:idea:

6. It can be serviced or fixed at several garages in Sunway without bankrupting me:biggrin:

But of course, a Murcielago has much more PASSION & SOUL...did you know Murcielago is the name of a famous bull that was extremely difficult to kill by bullfighters?

Anyway, I'm visiting Italy next week, hope to see many Italian sportcars.:driver:
you'll be disappointed.. there isn't that many supercars on the road... not when i was there anyways :)

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
GT-R has more soul and character than any car i know...

its a car you can tune to adapt your driving style

the presence, the fact that the R34 gearbox's synchro is fragile and you have to be careful when you shift, the kick of the turbo's, the funny sounds and squeaks from the car...

and who can deny that inline 6 scream, endless tuning potential, the twin versus single turbo school of thought... this is truly an enthusiasts car... if you just want to buy this car cos you saw it in Fast and Furious you are going to hate it after a year of ownership.

you can buy a lambo and get bored of it in a couple of years, but as a GT-R owner you evolve... and other people can see that.... but what does that matter, you bought the car for your self, and at the end of a long hard day, nothing beats an open road with nothing but the GT-R and you blasting off to punch a hole in the horizon

nothing brings a smile to my face like driving one of these legendary cars :biggrin:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i do not own skyline, and most definitely never owned any lambo (dont think ever will), but in my opinion, the term "soul" and "character" comes in every iconic car generations, for example the fairlady Z, imprezas, heck, even the old volkswagen beetle.

to me, the "soul" originates from a rich heritage. let me put down some cars with "soul" and the reason the "soul", "character" and "heritage" flows within their veins (and their owners too:biggrin:)

1. the GTR - as mentioned in the national geographic documentary on the R35 GTR - its the ULTIMATE BAD BOYS CAR (well i do agree, the bad boy, mean image of r32, r33 n r34 can no longer be found in r35. it has gone mainstream) the growl of the rb26, the spine tingling sensation on full boost, the high speed stability, the GARANG design, the iconic design, the presence on the road, even the name itself, it spells S-O-U-L in every way possible! non-GTR owners will have fear induced into them every time a GTR pass by...

2. lambo - the tradition, the outrageous design especially miura and countach, sometimes even sacrificing utter common sense for the chase of speed (nonexistent rear view in countact)

3. ferraris - more than 50 years of racing heritage (do i need to elaborate?)

4. E30 M3 - king of nurburgring (same as below)

5. imprezas n evos - how they can pack such tremendous performance package into dull saloons...

6. porsche - design that defies common understanding of car design, yet managed to create automotive perfection

ok ignore my blabbering... i'll continue dreaming...:sleep:

Last edited:

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
In that case i guess GTR35 "souless" then...caused there are too many accident lately involved that so called "supercar"!! Hee hee hee....

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
i do not own skyline, and most definitely never owned any lambo (dont think ever will), but in my opinion, the term "soul" and "character" comes in every iconic car generations, for example the fairlady Z, imprezas, heck, even the old volkswagen beetle.

to me, the "soul" originates from a rich heritage. let me put down some cars with "soul" and the reason the "soul", "character" and "heritage" flows within their veins (and their owners too:biggrin:)

1. the GTR - as mentioned in the national geographic documentary on the R35 GTR - its the ULTIMATE BAD BOYS CAR (well i do agree, the bad boy, mean image of r32, r33 n r34 can no longer be found in r35. it has gone mainstream) the growl of the rb26, the spine tingling sensation on full boost, the high speed stability, the GARANG design, the iconic design, the presence on the road, even the name itself, it spells S-O-U-L in every way possible! non-GTR owners will have fear induced into them every time a GTR pass by...

2. lambo - the tradition, the outrageous design especially miura and countach, sometimes even sacrificing utter common sense for the chase of speed (nonexistent rear view in countact)

3. ferraris - more than 50 years of racing heritage (do i need to elaborate?)

4. E30 M3 - king of nurburgring (same as below)

5. imprezas n evos - how they can pack such tremendous performance package into dull saloons...

6. porsche - design that defies common understanding of car design, yet managed to create automotive perfection

ok ignore my blabbering... i'll continue dreaming...:sleep:
While i agree with most of what you've written, i doubt evos and stis make the list of cars with character and substance.

I believe for a car to have a soul it has to have large idiosyncrasies.

1 of the main reasons why the GTR doesn't have a soul might just be because it's so well built (of course i am aware of the bugs in the gearbox and launch control areas). There is hardly a thing you could nitpick on. It's fast, it handles better than anything this side of a MAGLEV train, and best of all it's cheap. Maybe it's lack of character is due to the fact that it does all of the above so well, while other more expensive shapely and "desirable" cars don't.

Lambos aren't that fast on track largely due to the huge weight disadvantage. They were mostly built for flash not monthly track days.

Ferraris? Well, maybe if you had a decent amount of skill it would be fun to drive - not for novices.

Porsches are probably the closest Euro sports car that comes close to not having a soul. BUT then again, it depends which Porsche you're referring to. I myself love the 911 gt3, just plain old school engineering, nothing fancy, no turbos or AWD. Just a sound that could make you wet your pants and goes almost like stink. )More like a small fart trying desperately to escape some fat dude's ass)

In this day and age, you don't need to have a soul in your car to enjoy it. I think the days of appreciating the worst of your car is over. After all some of the fastest cars in the world have no heritage or soul i.e. NSX-R, Mclaren F1, i dare say the Bugatti Veryon etc etc.

Just my humble opinion.

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Seems look like we are comparing a RM500K to a RM1m supercar! You think is fair ah?? Like apple to orange lah....Different class and standard! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
I think in this day and age, yes, you can compare them. Because its about ability not price or soul anymore.

Dr.D

500 RPM
Aug 28, 2005
Petaling Jaya
i cant agree more.. r35 gtr is soul less cuz it doesnt continue the heritage.. but it does do everything else really good.. so, it cuts its heritage n does everything too good.. except the rear seat that were meant for hobbits. so i guess its like a very fast camry.. wow, very exciting.. well i guess some people dont want the hassle n prob from a car with character and prefer something perfect with small passangers.. anyways, not to start a conflict. there are people who prefer different cars for different things. not an all in one car..

Last edited:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Actually a really fast camry is a legacy :D wish i had one of those :D

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Hmmm....still think that GTR35 can't even get near to the "Raging Bull"!!

Bump: Hmmm....still think that GTR35 can't even get near to the "Raging Bull"!!

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Surely not in style but if i had to put my money where my mouth is on the track, i'd say GTR hands down.

Disclaimer: If of course we are talking about base model lambos vs a base model GTR.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Hmmm....still think that GTR35 can't even get near to the "Raging Bull"!!
I didn't say GTR35. What I meant is something like a R32 with RB30 and T04Z. :biggrin:

Seems look like we are comparing a RM500K to a RM1m supercar! You think is fair ah?? Like apple to orange lah....Different class and standard! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The R32 is more like RM150k only :proud:

I believe for a car to have a soul it has to have large idiosyncrasies.
Yes, but only partly correct IMHO.

I think soul is that intangible quality that comes from passionate craftmanship and a long, rich heritage.... doesn't need to be racing heritage and having lots of breakdowns.

Basically a deep infusion of the human spirit into the mechanical form.

Actually now that I think about it, R32s, R33s, R34s GTRs has got a lot of soul- R32 most of all.

Unfortunately R35 has got very little IMHO.... don't hantam me LOL

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Good day

Assuming i already have a paint code, lets say i have a Lexus Paint Code Glacier Frost Mica (Paint Code 074).

Which / where is the best shop that i can send my car to for repaint to this EXACT same color as if it was out form the factory ?

(Within KL/PJ Area, and for reasonable price -meaning not dirt cheap, but not dirt expensive)? Would appreciate any recommendaitons. THanks guys !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience